Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

I'm not sure this gets them much closer to an agreement.  The players didn't budge from the pro rated salaries which is the biggest point of contention and the owners will say they will lose more money by playing more games so that's also a non starter. The expanded playoffs and deferred money are small and easy concessions.  The fact they have to negotiate players opting not to play is alarming.  

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm not sure this gets them much closer to an agreement.  The players didn't budge from the pro rated salaries which is the biggest point of contention and the owners will say they will lose more money by playing more games so that's also a non starter. The expanded playoffs and deferred money are small and easy concessions.  The fact they have to negotiate players opting not to play is alarming.  

Two major point you are missing. The players agree to defer money and expanded playoffs. The owners make quite a bit of their money in the playoffs because the players don't get paid for them. Deferring money from this year allows the owners to make more this year as well. I think it is a good starting point for an agreement that will benefit both groups. 

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

To me, this proposal is showing that the players aren't worried very much about contracting the virus as much as getting paid...they want to extend the season by another month.

It's always been about money from both sides. 

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

To me, this proposal is showing that the players aren't worried very much about contracting the virus as much as getting paid...they want to extend the season by another month.

The Union has to negotiate for the best financial plan for everyone.  The individual players will each make a decision as to whether that is good enough to risk it for.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think it says a fair amount that the players want a penalty-free opt out for anyone who wants to take it.

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd wager 0 players would opt out...

1. They make no money.

2. Their teammates and fans would hate them.

I think you get someone like Bryant or Trout with a new baby on the way that could absolutely opt out

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd wager 0 players would opt out...

1. They make no money.

2. Their teammates and fans would hate them.

I believe part of the deal was to be able to opt out AND get paid if they could prove high risk. This is somewhat vague could involve having a new child or care for parents at home.

Just now, KrankinSox said:

a 50-60 game schedule is a sham in my opinion. Glad to see negotiations are moving forward though. I'm optimistic a deal is reached this week.

Getting closer.  I could see them setting on a 70ish game season.  At this point, I'd be happy with a 60 game season.  It'll be a looong summer otherwise.

1 minute ago, zenryan said:

50-60 game schedule? No thanks. Waste of time. 

I think a regular season "seeding" a playoff tournament for all teams would be fun. Seed the team 1-30 and let there be multiple playoff rounds similar to World Cup. I know thats not what they are proposing. The owners want to give more time for playoffs so they make more money. The fact that a counter proposal came so fast is encouraging. The players want 114, owners 50. Next round player say 100, owners say 60. The settle at 80.

Just now, KrankinSox said:

a 50-60 game schedule is a sham in my opinion. Glad to see negotiations are moving forward though. I'm optimistic a deal is reached this week.

Probably a way to force the MLBPA back towards 80 games. But who knows. I’ll watch bc what else is there to do but I defiantly won’t be too bothered if my team wins or lose. It’ll be like preseason football, I’ll watch but don’t get hurt and screw up 2021. 

Just now, Texsox said:

Fifty regular season games, 32 teams make the playoffs. That's five rounds of potentially 7 games each. Money for the owners. 

Yep. Players get their prorated money (although the number of games would go up), owners get playoff money.

Make it real fun. Owners and players each get a 60-40 split of the playoffs games they are in. Give them a real incentive to win. (I know it won't happen, but it would be fun)

9 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Man 50-60 seems short but hey I’ll take it. I think 80 feels like a better floor. 

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep. Players get their prorated money (although the number of games would go up), owners get playoff money.

Make it real fun. Owners and players each get a 60-40 split of the playoffs games they are in. Give them a real incentive to win. (I know it won't happen, but it would be fun)

The owners only get playoff money if fans are interested in the playoffs. In this scenario, not many fans will be interested in the season or the playoffs. Might as well just have an RBI Baseball tournament to determine the champion. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That few games is a joke to be honest. 100 games needs to be played next season. MLB needs to stop wasting time and get this thing done. 

I think 100 would be too many. If the season started July 1, the Sox would have 76 games left going by the original schedule. Squeezing in 100 would be tough. I think 80 is realistic.