Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

17 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I assume 4 weeks but it seems odd NBA looks like they will use almost 6 weeks of training.  Rumor is hoops starting in mid July and they also have the advantage of no weather issues. 

Also remember they are jumping right into some very meaningful games. Playoff b-ball is intense and so it’s like going from zero to 100.

57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29269242/inside-mlb-financials-fight-numbers-solve-it

a few hundred million dollars difference, ways to make it seemingly work, and 2 sides unwilling to give on either of those ways.

Yeah, they both have valid points for the stances. They both need to give a little more to make it happen. Unfortunately,  I think both sides see this as an extension of the CBA talks and dont want to set a precedent. 

We're about 10 days +/- one or two from the point of no return. The clock is ticking. 

They're too close to getting this done to have it blow up now. 

80 games, pro-rated salaries, with deferrals, of which the length is based on speed of revenue recovery. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We're about 10 days +/- one or two from the point of no return. The clock is ticking. 

They're too close to getting this done to have it blow up now. 

80 games, pro-rated salaries, with deferrals, of which the length is based on speed of revenue recovery. 

Agree, I think they need an agreement in place by next Friday, June 12th at the latest.

They'll reach a deal next week.

29 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Agree, I think they need an agreement in place by next Friday, June 12th at the latest.

They'll reach a deal next week.

I've said this before, most fans won't care which side was right, who was getting screwed more, how much money each side was losing.  If the season is cancelled over money, both sides will get blamed, and rightfully so.  Right now, it seems as if they are not even considering the fans.

21 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I've said this before, most fans won't care which side was right, who was getting screwed more, how much money each side was losing.  If the season is cancelled over money, both sides will get blamed, and rightfully so.  Right now, it seems as if they are not even considering the fans.

And in a couple years the owners & idiots running the MLB will continue to cry about how they just don't understand the mystery of why ratings/attendance are down.

• Like 2

An agreement should have been solidified this week and players should be reporting to "Spring Training #2" next week (kind of funny, because this would actually technically be happening mostly in the spring season, when usually spring training happens in the final weeks of Winter).

Who knows, maybe no news is good news right now? Maybe leaks have finally stopped?

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

@Y2Jimmy0, if you had to give a percentage right now on the likelihood a deal is reached in the next 7-10 days, what would you say? I’m still fairly confident, but I’m worried that I’m overly optimistic. I’d say 85% chance a deal is reached. 

Neither side is dumb enough to kill the "Golden Goose."  It will get done this week.

6 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

An agreement should have been solidified this week and players should be reporting to "Spring Training #2" next week (kind of funny, because this would actually technically be happening mostly in the spring season, when usually spring training happens in the final weeks of Winter).

Who knows, maybe no news is good news right now? Maybe leaks have finally stopped?

I have some bad news.

Players accused MLB teams of "depriving America of baseball games" as part of a money fight set off by the coronavirus pandemic and raised the possibility baseball commissioner Rob Manfred might push ahead with a shortened season over the union's objection.

Bruce Meyer, the Major League Baseball Players Association's chief negotiator, sent a letter to deputy MLB commissioner Dan Halem on Friday threatening that an attempt to play without an agreement could lead players to block any attempt to expand the playoffs and deny consent for neutral-site games in the postseason.

"The league's cynical tactic of depriving America of baseball games in furtherance of their demand for unwarranted salary concessions is shortsighted and troubling," Meyer wrote. "Meanwhile, other leagues are moving forward with their plans for resumption."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29272915/mlb-players-say-teams-depriving-america-baseball-games

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They played more games that year than they will this year if they go by by most plans.

If there’s no World Series this year...it’s not the first time in a century it happened, and there’s a pandemic. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If there’s no World Series this year...it’s not the first time in a century it happened, and there’s a pandemic. 

But there was still most of a season that year.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And the fans totally returned with no judgment in 1995. There was no damage to the “golden goose”. All was forgiven!

The game is stronger than it ever has been. MLB had 10 billion in revenues last year.  The value of the teams has never been higher. It took a few years after 1994 for the fans to come but they did. The golden goose will return eventually. Someone earlier said that owning a team is like owning a house, very little risk and the value will appreciate.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I have some...better news (not necessarily "good" if more than 50 games aren't played IMO). Being the optimist that I am, here is a positive view on the current negotiations. I recommend the read.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/next-week-will-tell-if-2020-mlb-season-starts-in-early-or-late-july/313495662

Edited by ScooterMcGee

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

Someone earlier said that owning a team is like owning a house, very little risk and the value will appreciate.

I'd imagine sports owners are a little worried about the future of sports. Sports without fans can't be as productive as before. This pandemic doesn't seem to be lessening at all during this very hot start to June.

With the pandemic starting an upward trend again and players/owners seemingly miles apart, I really wish they'd just nix this year and work on a complete overhaul of the MLB for the future season (and thus, avoiding a strike).

If they can admit defeat this year and use the extra time to square out a new deal they can return in 2021 stronger than ever. 

Talk about league expansion and redivision, talk about minor leaguers and increasing their livelihoods, talk about free agency and the absurdity of keeping their young prospects in the minors for time, talk about mlb.com blackouts and getting their games more availability instead of making them non-available, and so many other issues that plague the sport.

I don't want anything to do with a 48 game NFL like season. Get that shit out of here that's not baseball.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 11:32 PM, Balta1701 said:

And the fans totally returned with no judgment in 1995. There was no damage to the “golden goose”. All was forgiven!

I don't remember it that way. I know the Sox took a big hit in attendance and the fan backlash was intense. It led to Ozzie Guillen's famous "we don't owe the fans anything" remark. Guillen said he was responding to fans yelling racial taunts at Frank Thomas. Some fans also thought that Thomas was a hypocrite for using non-union labor to build a home. MLB loved it when Sosa and McGwire had their home run race. The sport needed something there was damage being done to the golden goose. The players and the owners completely misjudged fan reaction. The late 90's were a very dark time, especially for the White Sox. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

With the pandemic starting an upward trend again and players/owners seemingly miles apart, I really wish they'd just nix this year and work on a complete overhaul of the MLB for the future season (and thus, avoiding a strike).

If they can admit defeat this year and use the extra time to square out a new deal they can return in 2021 stronger than ever. 

Talk about league expansion and redivision, talk about minor leaguers and increasing their livelihoods, talk about free agency and the absurdity of keeping their young prospects in the minors for time, talk about mlb.com blackouts and getting their games more availability instead of making them non-available, and so many other issues that plague the sport.

I don't want anything to do with a 48 game NFL like season. Get that shit out of here that's not baseball.

That 3rd paragraph...so much yes. That right there in a nutshell is what they need to change in order to get this country back into baseball again. I would be STOKED if they did all of those things. And the league needs to start seriously having discussions about how to make those things happen.

I disagree with the first part of your post though. I still think they should try to play this year. I just think with the improvements from so many of our young players we saw last year, I fear the worst could happen with their development. However, I agree that a 50 game season is stupid. If that is seriously the best thing the league can come up with, might as well cancel the season. I'm not even sure how interested in watching I would be. Also, they better refund me my MLB.TV, and/or make the postseason long and accessible to MLB.TV subscribers...

• Like 1