Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They are used to A. Eventually lead to more profit. And B. Increase the value of their asset. Why should players pay for that?  What they do with their baseball profit should have nothing to do with players.  If you owned a business and decided to go gambling and lost your ass, how do you think telling your employees they will have to take a pay cut to cover your losses going to go over?Ricketts didn’t need to buy Wrigleyville. He did.  But that shouldn’t be on Brizzo and Javy Baez to take a cut because a pandemic made the revenue at his outside business go to near zero.The owners negotiated prorated salaries, and we have known for some time there would be no fans at stadiums at least for the vast majority of games.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise just that this is what is happening and why the owners dont take away profit from the team. They put the money back in to improve the fan experience and increase the value of the asset. This is why they operate on a thin profit margin. Your point is exactly what Boras is saying. The owners operate on a thin margin because they put all of the money back,into the team by their own design. He doesnt think the players should help the owners by allowing them a break on the money they sink into the team. My point all along is that the owners are strapped for cash even by their own design. I can see why they want to protect their season pay out because if there are no playoffs the owners will increase the debt.

On the radio this morning they were talking about how they could start spring training.  Imagine the coverage the next four weeks just covering spring training.......nope...maybe they will start when basketball and hockey are running their playoff tourneys.....then baseball will run their playoff tourney when football and yes golf will control the weekends.

It really is amazing how baseball shoots themselves in the head.

Revenue in every sport is up because of advertising so please do not tell me how baseball has never been more popular. 

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

On the radio this morning they were talking about how they could start spring training.  Imagine the coverage the next four weeks just covering spring training.......nope...maybe they will start when basketball and hockey are running their playoff tourneys.....then baseball will run their playoff tourney when football and yes golf will control the weekends.

It really is amazing how baseball shoots themselves in the head.

Revenue in every sport is up because of advertising so please do not tell me how baseball has never been more popular. 

I completely agree with you - That said, despite the public pickering, it seems like the two sides are at least getting closer on the # of games played.  Obviously MLB can always just take a hardline stance, but it seems like we are getting a point where we can align on games played and than everyone just fights for a few days on hashing out prorata %.  

Can someone explain this to me...

So let's say they don't work a deal. Then Rob Manfred (commish) comes in and implements the 48 game season. 

Why is that the default? That means we are guranteed 100% that there will be baseball played? 

Why wouldn't they just cancel the season? 

So all this talk between the players and the owners is really just bickering over the amount of games/pay rate and really setting precedents for the 2021 CBA? They all know that the commish will just force 50 games?

Also, doesn't that seem unfair to the players who have been positioning on wanting MORE games and not the 50 outlined by the owners? The owners already know the commish will force a 50 game season?

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I completely agree with you - That said, despite the public pickering, it seems like the two sides are at least getting closer on the # of games played.  Obviously MLB can always just take a hardline stance, but it seems like we are getting a point where we can align on games played and than everyone just fights for a few days on hashing out prorata %.  

My angst comes from the fact that this should have been worked out over the 2 and half months when there was nothing going on instead of making certain every last drop of blood was drained from the turnip.  I know it is a business and all of that.

The agreement in March did not address the fact that there would be no fans and nobody seemed to want to discuss that until now.

We are now opening up at my place of employment and I am rather irritated that there are departments that did nothing over the last 3 months when there was an opportunity to make great strides in upgrading the business model.  I am in finance and we converted three of our software systems and overhauled HR.

Maybe the world is just getting he better of me but I love baseball and saw a gift given to them to be first out of the gate but instead they looking like they will blow this chance and be irrelevant when they begin.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My angst comes from the fact that this should have been worked out over the 2 and half months when there was nothing going on instead of making certain every last drop of blood was drained from the turnip.  I know it is a business and all of that.

The agreement in March did not address the fact that there would be no fans and nobody seemed to want to discuss that until now.

We are now opening up at my place of employment and I am rather irritated that there are departments that did nothing over the last 3 months when there was an opportunity to make great strides in upgrading the business model.  I am in finance and we converted three of our software systems and overhauled HR.

Maybe the world is just getting he better of me but I love baseball and saw a gift given to them to be first out of the gate but instead they looking like they will blow this chance and be irrelevant when they begin.  

Welcome to union negotiations. Nothing happens until midnight.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Manfred can enforce a 50 game season. He doesn't want to though. The owners really want expanded playoffs and that needs to be negotiated. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

See all it took was me talking a little shit and one post later BOOM

oh wait that's old never mind MOOB

Keep it up then. It makes as much sense as what these two idiotic groups are doing.

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bad look holding this draft tonite and can't even say "we have the season figured out now, let's roll"

I would think the draft would serve as a bit of pressure on the owners & players to come up with some positive news during these next 3 days. Of course - MLB draft is far from the NFL draft (in terms of rating).  Very focused on the hardcore fans but I would think they get pretty darn good ratings.  

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Finally. Something to go off of. Exactly one month from today is OD. Spring training next week?

If Spring training is 4 weeks, would that end up being something like 2 weeks of training  and 2 weeks of spring training games? 

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

If Spring training is 4 weeks, would that end up being something like 2 weeks of training  and 2 weeks of spring training games? 

They may not have games. Just workouts to get ready for the season.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Commish yesterday during the draft flat out stated that there will be baseball in 2020.

I agree w the commish. . 

On June 19, Nippon Professional Baseball will open its pandemic-delayed season, roughly three months late, commissioner Atsushi Saito told an online press conference

https://jballallen.com/npb-goes-viral-season-to-start-on-june-19/

• Haha 1