Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

A lot of law firms have asked people to take pay cuts and have reduced benefit packages. 

At the university we did take a pay rate cut for summer courses. The pay for "overload " courses is different  than the regular semesters. Luckily our benefits did not change.

I'm quite happy that I don't have to watch a 50 game MLB season and instead the focus is going to be square on the problems with the Commish and the owners. 

I know most would have loved a 50 game season, but I want to see changes being made behind the scenes. 

Baseball is in such a need for an upgrade. 

The only problem is I don't think the greedy owners and powers that be won't allow actual changes. 

This is ugly. 

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm quite happy that I don't have to watch a 50 game MLB season and instead the focus is going to be square on the problems with the Commish and the owners. 

I know most would have loved a 50 game season, but I want to see changes being made behind the scenes. 

The only problem is I don't think the greedy owners and powers that be won't allow actual changes. 

This is ugly. 

Read the article by Jeff passon in ESPN before you place the blame all on the greedy owners.

But yes baseball does need a fundamental change from all.

Edited by ptatc

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Read the article by Jeff passon in ESPN before you place the blame all on the greedy owners.

But yes baseball does need a fundamental change from all.

From the article in the thread I see things like :

Manfred said the MLBPA's "decision to end good-faith negotiations" and the need for an agreement with the union on health and safety protocols "were really negative in terms of our efforts."

"The owners are 100 percent committed to getting baseball back on the field," Manfred said. "Unfortunately, I can't tell you that I'm 100 percent certain that's gonna happen.

I find that Bullshit. I wouldn't believe a damn word Manfred says. The MLBPA's decision to end the negotiations stems from the conflict that the owners weren't really negotiating. They were demanding the same thing in multiple different dress ups. The owners are not 100% committed to getting on the field, that's complete bs. 

Manfred said he believes the union intended to file a grievance that the league had not fulfilled its obligation under the March 26 agreement to play the most games possible, which he deemed a "bad-faith tactic."

The whole article reads like a propaganda case to make the players look bad. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP
damnit quoting on forums ain't like it used to be

The owners want to implement a 48-54 game season. They can't do that right now though because there's time on the calendar for way more games than that. In fear that they'd lose the grievance, they are looking to prolong this even further. I'm sure they'll mandate a 54 game season in a couple weeks when that is theoretically the maximum number they could do based on the calendar. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The owners want to implement a 48-54 game season. They can't do that right now though because there's time on the calendar for way more games than that. In fear that they'd lose the grievance, they are looking to prolong this even further. I'm sure they'll mandate a 54 game season in a couple weeks when that is theoretically the maximum number they could do based on the calendar. 

That would be the only way to make sure they dont lose the grievance.  The bastards.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Wow. What a ******* shame. 

The players literally said "tell us when and where." They gave full unilateral power to their bosses to tell them what to do. And now Manfred is saying they might not play?? After just a few days ago saying 100% they will play? Wtf? How idiotic. What a sham this has turned out to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Wow. What a ******* shame. 

The players literally said "tell us when and where." They gave full unilateral power to their bosses to tell them what to do. And now Manfred is saying they might not play?? After just a few days ago saying 100% they will play? Wtf? How idiotic. What a sham this has turned out to be. 

Because Tony Clark has run his mouth to everyone and their mother about how the MLBPA would sue for billions if so. 

This sums it up well from mlbtr...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/rob-manfred-no-longer-confident-2020-season-will-occur.html

In defending the owners, Manfred told Greenberg: “The owners are a hundred percent committed to getting baseball back on the field. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you that I’m a hundred percent certain that’s gonna happen.”

The union side, for its part, expressed a desire to play this past weekend. “Tell us when and where,” executive director Tony Clark said.

However, the league sent the union a letter Monday saying there won’t be a season unless the players waive any legal claims against MLB stemming from the sides’ March agreement, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tweets. Additionally, Manfred went after the union for the letter it sent to the league Friday.

“Unfortunately, over the weekend, while Tony Clark was declaring his desire to get back to work, the union’s top lawyer was out telling reporters, players and eventually getting back to owners that as soon as we issued a schedule – as they requested – they intended to file a grievance claiming they were entitled to an additional billion dollars,” Manfred said. “Obviously, that sort of bad-faith tactic makes it extremely difficult to move forward in these circumstances.”

Edited by hi8is
Such bulls***

53 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This is ugly. 

Nice!  Our young core loses a full season of development and team control, but hey, it would not have been enough entertainment for you so who cares right?