Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

45 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This sums it up well from mlbtr...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/rob-manfred-no-longer-confident-2020-season-will-occur.html

In defending the owners, Manfred told Greenberg: “The owners are a hundred percent committed to getting baseball back on the field. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you that I’m a hundred percent certain that’s gonna happen.”

The union side, for its part, expressed a desire to play this past weekend. “Tell us when and where,” executive director Tony Clark said.

However, the league sent the union a letter Monday saying there won’t be a season unless the players waive any legal claims against MLB stemming from the sides’ March agreement, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tweets. Additionally, Manfred went after the union for the letter it sent to the league Friday.

“Unfortunately, over the weekend, while Tony Clark was declaring his desire to get back to work, the union’s top lawyer was out telling reporters, players and eventually getting back to owners that as soon as we issued a schedule – as they requested – they intended to file a grievance claiming they were entitled to an additional billion dollars,” Manfred said. “Obviously, that sort of bad-faith tactic makes it extremely difficult to move forward in these circumstances.”

Why would they be owed an additional billion? Is that language somewhere in the March agreement?

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Why would they be owed an additional billion? Is that language somewhere in the March agreement?

I believe its from their contention that they would have receive that much from the fans in the seats for whatever portion of the season is played. Since has been since determined that fans won't be in the seats and the players won't renegotiate they are out that money and the players are out nothing.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I believe its from their contention that they would have receive that much from the fans in the seats for whatever portion of the season is played. Since has been since determined that fans won't be in the seats and the players won't renegotiate they are out that money and the players are out nothing.

So their grievance would be based on a hypothetical situation...that never happened? 

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

So their grievance would be based on a hypothetical situation...that never happened? 

No their grievance is based on that the players had agreed to renegotiate the full prorated salary if the fans werent going to be in the seats.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No their grievance is based on that the players had agreed to renegotiate the full prorated salary if the fans werent going to be in the seats.

There's a question about whether or not that was actually agreed upon. There's a rumor that Manfred misrepresented that tidbit to the owners. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

https://t.co/g1O5vNRvGT

Dan Hayes started a petition to remove Manfred. It’s gone from 20 signatures to 700+ in minutes and should reach its targeted million over night. 😆

As jimmy said. this is just a stalling tactic until its only possible to play the 54 games and not get sued by the union. They'll play. 

The sox current schedule would have 52 games in August and September. So the owners will stall until training camp wont start until the second week of July. So that means they probably will stall until the end of June or so.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There's a question about whether or not that was actually agreed upon. There's a rumor that Manfred misrepresented that tidbit to the owners. 

in Passan's article he says Clark agreed that it was part of the discussion even though its not specifically written in the agreement. 

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Trevor Bauer is awesome and I want him in a Sox uni whenever baseball is to be played again. 

I'm not expecting baseball until 2023 at this point. 2020-2022 are fucked. 

Trevor Bauer is mercurial and mediocre.  I'd rather have a mid 4 ERA starter that wasn't always trying to be the center of attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Trevor Bauer is mercurial and mediocre.  I'd rather have a mid 4 ERA starter that wasn't always trying to be the center of attention.

He has the ability to be really good....I thought he turned the corner in 2018. He was good last year until he went to that bandbox in Cincinnati.  

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Actually the bolder quote was Manfred saying the players union intended to sue for a billion plus once play resumed, I believe.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With this and the NFL news today, Idk how team sports are possible. I think it's a matter of time before the NBA/NHL players balk and those seasons are cancelled as well. 

Well at least MLB has had a bitter labor dispute that has alienated the fans before their season gets cancelled due to the pandemic.

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With this and the NFL news today, Idk how team sports are possible. I think it's a matter of time before the NBA/NHL players balk and those seasons are cancelled as well. 

NBA still has an actual shot with the bubble. It's a legitimate plan and could actually work.