Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

45 minutes ago, ptatc said:

in Passan's article he says Clark agreed that it was part of the discussion even though its not specifically written in the agreement. 

So the owners proposed it at the time, the players said no, it did not make the agreement text, but you keep acting as though it was agreed to?

I don't understand the mentality of trying to prove who is at fault. If mom and dad are not getting along I just want it to stop. Ask any kid whose parents split up. My peak moment was when I realized I have no need to prove whether I was right or wrong. The guy lying there with two bullets in his back must have felt the same way. 

• Thanks 1

Can we get Manfred fired for this bootlicking tweet alone?

“There are so many things that have been out there as part of the political process. If each and every thing that gets said was the subject of concern or something you should be concerned about, people would be walking around with with their heads spinning due to concern," Manfred said. "The Rickettses have been great owners. I'm gonna see Mr. Ricketts tomorrow — a prearranged meeting. I'm very comfortable with the idea that the Ricketts have been great trustees for baseball and Chicago and will continue to be."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-cubs/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-responds-donald-trump-tweet-about-cubs-owners

Just now, Quin said:

In case no one posted.

Players: Fuck it. Just tell us when to play.

Owners: No. You might tattle on us.

Solution:  play indoors exhibition in Tulsa after rally this weekend, waivers of responsibility already signed and gathered.

The just follow the presidential campaign around the country to other hotspots like Texas, Arizona and Florida.

Problem solved.

Better yet, MLB Wiffle Ball Tourney.  Would probably have to use an automated pitching machine, too many potential elbow issues throwing Wiffle screwballs and sliders...players can start their own rival league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Solution:  play indoors exhibition in Tulsa after rally this weekend, waivers of responsibility already signed and gathered.

The just follow the presidential campaign around the country to other hotspots like Texas, Arizona and Florida.

Problem solved.

Better yet, MLB Wiffle Ball Tourney.  Would probably have to use an automated pitching machine, too many potential elbow issues throwing Wiffle screwballs and sliders...players can start their own rival league.

cut it out.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Trevor Bauer is awesome and I want him in a Sox uni whenever baseball is to be played again. 

I'm not expecting baseball until 2023 at this point. 2020-2022 are fucked. 

I'll bet you $1000 there's a season in 2021

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

https://t.co/g1O5vNRvGT

Dan Hayes started a petition to remove Manfred. It’s gone from 20 signatures to 700+ in minutes and should reach its targeted million over night. 😆

Did Hayes start it or just RT it? It looks like someone named Jackson Marwitz started it

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Did Hayes start it or just RT it? It looks like someone named Jackson Marwitz started it

Hayes started one separate from that Jackson guy 😆

I’d be shocked if Manspread even appears on ESPN for this special with all that went down today.

If he does it’ll just be to have a spotlight in pushing this latest narrative on defensive repeat.

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm nowhere near that confident but imo the owners are going to ask for financial concessions from the players to play in 2021. That probably puts next year in jeopardy as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So the owners proposed it at the time, the players said no, it did not make the agreement text, but you keep acting as though it was agreed to?

It was agreed to as being part of the discussion. But as we know no ones word is good enough.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I don't understand the mentality of trying to prove who is at fault. If mom and dad are not getting along I just want it to stop. Ask any kid whose parents split up. My peak moment was when I realized I have no need to prove whether I was right or wrong. The guy lying there with two bullets in his back must have felt the same way. 

No doubt. it is, was and will be both. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hours cut is not the same as change in rate.  That is an important distinction.

My work suspended 401k matching and has indefinitely postponed annual COL raises.

Unless you're in a good union, like some of the guys who report to me. They're getting their regularly scheduled wage scale increases and in one case, some pretty hefty Covid hazard premiums. 

That's the benefit of being in a good labor union. MLBPA is pretty strong, so the players are negotiating from a strong position.

Owners are ensuring MLB's steady descent into irrelevancy continues at a time they could have capitalized on people's desire for entertainment outlets.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Would the players agree to it is the question. 

Yes. 100%. If they don't play this year, the 2020-2021 salary cap is going down and players will be taking huge pay cuts. Follow the money. The NBA is finishing their season. 

9 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'm not expecting baseball again, ever. I think we all saw our last MLB game last year. It's over.

It definitely would be a good time for a rival league to start. I kind of agree with you. If they can't agree to play now they never will. This is the summer of the virus and given a chance to do something they let their skills go dormant. 

Pardon my ignorance but have players been getting their full salaries during this corona stoppage? If not why not? They are under contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2