Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Maybe just cancelling makes the most sense.  

Removing the anti-trust exemption or forcing the owners to make their books public as a condition is what makes the most sense.

Maybe having owners who like baseball makes the most sense.

• Like 4

Both sides are now standing in their respective corners with their arms crossed angrily while threatening to hold their breath if they don't get their way.  And Manfred is cowering in his own corner because everybody's mad.

What a disgrace all around.

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Both sides are now standing in their respective corners with their arms crossed angrily while threatening to hold their breath if they don't get their way.  And Manfred is cowering in his own corner because everybody's mad.

It's more like they're a cage match, but the players are in the corner with their arms down saying "we're done. Can we just exit the ring?" while the owners are refusing to lift the cage.

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Correct.  They are all just digging in. Although there will he baseball this season. This is just the owners stalling to get the days down to where there set number of games us all that is possible.  I think stalling to the end of the month should do it.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's more like they're a cage match, but the players are in the corner with their arms down saying "we're done. Can we just exit the ring?" while the owners are refusing to lift the cage.

No the players are dug in too. There are refusing to negotiate any further. They both are. Whether you agree or disagree with either stance neither is negotiating. 

Edited by ptatc

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No the players are dug in too. There are refusing to negotiate any further. They both are. Whether you agree or disagree with either stance neither is negotiating. 

Right, the players have said they'll play under the previously agreed upon deal.

The owners just don't like that deal anymore.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Right, the players have said they'll play under the previously agreed upon deal.

The owners just don't like that deal anymore.

It's not a valid deal as there was to he renegotitstions without fans. The union wouldn't renegotiate a deal to make it "economically feasible." However,  the owners are going to honor that deal as well and institute their number of games. 

Edited by ptatc

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's not a valid deal as there was to he renegotitstions without fans. The union wouldn't renegotiate a deal to make it "economically feasible." However,  the owners are going to honor that deal as well and institute their number of games. 

Except they aren't unless the players agree to not file grievances that the owners negotiated in bad faith.

So this lays solely at the feet of the owners and Rob "100% baseball this year ... Just kidding" Manfred.

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Except they aren't unless the players agree to not file grievances that the owners negotiated in bad faith.

So this lays solely at the feet of the owners and Rob "100% baseball this year ... Just kidding" Manfred.

There will 100% baseball this year. This is just a negotiating tactic to stall until enough days are gone that the maximum number of games are down to a number the owners want. This way the players don't have grounds for a grievance while the owners do.

Any way as I said in another thread. This has gone on long enough. Time to let it go. No one is going to change thier views. I will contend to the end both parties are culpable and they are damaging the sport.

The owners are evil, the players are saints.

37 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There will 100% baseball this year. This is just a negotiating tactic to stall until enough days are gone that the maximum number of games are down to a number the owners want. This way the players don't have grounds for a grievance while the owners do.

Any way as I said in another thread. This has gone on long enough. Time to let it go. No one is going to change thier views. I will contend to the end both parties are culpable and they are damaging the sport.

Dude, literally every post of yours explains why the owners are saints.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Don't blame the guy that's supposed to make this all happen 

This is such a horsecrap take. It is 100% the owners fault that rather than choose a guy to grow the game, they chose a guy to keep their costs lowest, but manfreds job is to look out for the best interests of the owners and convince them of their best interest, he’s failing at that. Miserably.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Yeah, you are right. So the plan will ultimately be 50 games plus the entire playoffs and WS? Basically it means you have to tread water the first month with pitchers working about three innings tops, then let your talent shine through the second month and the playoffs? Obviously the team that wins it this year shouldn't have a parade or anything. it's going to be tainted. That's why I just wish they'd funk it up and have wild new rules, etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Its looking more and more that there will be no 2020 season and there's also a good chance for a strike in 2022. Gosh I hope the Sox can win the World Series in 2021. 

There will be a season but first the owners have a few more dirty tricks up their sleeve to try and make their bad deal less bad.  The fans are the ones paying the price.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Its looking more and more that there will be no 2020 season and there's also a good chance for a strike in 2022. Gosh I hope the Sox can win the World Series in 2021. 

If we can't do this season without fans, then there needs to be a widely available and distributed vaccine next year or next year's season is even less likely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Yeah, you are right. So the plan will ultimately be 50 games plus the entire playoffs and WS? Basically it means you have to tread water the first month with pitchers working about three innings tops, then let your talent shine through the second month and the playoffs? Obviously the team that wins it this year shouldn't have a parade or anything. it's going to be tainted. That's why I just wish they'd funk it up and have wild new rules, etc.

Such as?

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Dude, literally every post of yours explains why the owners are saints.

Obviously you haven't read very many then. I've repeatedly said both sides are at fault and it's only because I am the only one who even will consider the owners side that it looks that way. This is why i found myself defending them in so many posts. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Such as?

Funk it up: To speed up the game have the batter strike out on the third foul ball with two strikes; have only three pickoff throws to first base per inning; have only one reliever per inning after the sixth inning (unless he gives up four or more runs); have runner on second base and none out to start every extra inning; no bunting allowed. Stuff like that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Funk it up: To speed up the game have the batter strike out on the third foul ball with two strikes; have only three pickoff throws to first base per inning; have only one reliever per inning after the sixth inning (unless he gives up four or more runs); have runner on second base and none out to start every extra inning; no bunting allowed. Stuff like that.

How about ditching all of that and just doing this “funk rule”...

If you score 7 or more runs in a single inning on 4 or fewer base hits, without encountering more than 2 errors by the defending team — then the shortstop is replaced by a free standing donkey tied to an installed post.

Anyone who can then mount the donkey while going from second to third base on a hit or stolen base attempt without becoming tagged out in the process, will then be considered a “super pony” and shall be counted as 11 runs upon crossing home plate.

Should a team secure two “super pony” runs, the home crowd will all partake in a parade on the following weekend day, during which only assless chaps are allowed as attire.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1