Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But isn't 2030 yet?

That's not what I meant dude....I wasn't talking about sports....Are there gonna be fans? No. 

Keep going...I wasn't talking about there being no sports, I was talking about sports with fans, as it was BC(before covid) 

You're misreading the entirety of what I was saying. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, soxfan49 said:

I guess Jack was closer to being wrong than right huh?

Scheduling sports and being able to actually pull them off will be 2 very different things, particularly now that we're going to have half the country seeing skyrocketing cases over the next couple months. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Scheduling sports and being able to actually pull them off will be 2 very different things, particularly now that we're going to have half the country seeing skyrocketing cases over the next couple months. 

Yeah, they're going to come to an agreement but will be unable to schedule the games. Right.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's what's gonna be a huge issue. I still have my doubts about the integrity of these games.  I'm glad they're trying, but it might turn out that it's nearly impossible to have a season with any sort of integrity because players get sick. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The owners agreed to full prorated salaries. Yes, it does prove that they were fulla shit the whole time. 

It shows that it was a negotiation tool that worked.  The union is also reportedly waiving any grievance.  It is almost like each side gave a little to come to a deal that works for both.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we opened tomorrow or opened in 1 year, the number will rise... Let's start and try getting the world back to normal.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

yKahNFEZ_reasonably_small.jpg

Source says no deal is close yet between MLB and MLBPA beccause the proposal was just sent by MLB. No agreement even in principle at this point.

But with this coming after Manfred and the MLBPA union chief met, I would think it will be agreed upon.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

But with this coming after Manfred and the MLBPA union chief met, I would think it will be agreed upon.

Yes, my thinking as well. I'm guessing Manfred and Clark hammered out the deal and now the proposal has officially been sent to the players.

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If we can't do this season without fans, then there needs to be a widely available and distributed vaccine next year or next year's season is even less likely.

That's wild when you think about this could be the end of baseball in your scenario. Done for this year unless the owners' plan to play 50 is working by stalling; none next year in your scenario cause of even worse COVID I guess, then the strike. Not to steal the thread and I'll move it to the corona thread in slam, but I find it difficult to think they'll create a vaccine that works. If they can do that that quickly, why can't we simply cure diseases like the common flu and cold, etc. Boom ... an effective vaccine? That's wild when u think about it.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

IT'S HAPPENING.

Wow. Baseball to be played? It's gonna be so wild to have sports again. Remember how the game threads get so heated? I bet if there's baseball there's no anger from fans at all during the games because of the nature of this season. Whatever team wins is gonna have the huge asterisk so why get hot under the collar. You can just enjoy baseball without the angst.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

If the proposal was just sent to the players, there obviously isn't an agreement yet.  But, this definitely the most optimistic news since...well, since play was halted back in March.

Hopefully owners and the MLBPA can keep their traps shut until there is an agreement.