Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The owners agreed to full prorated salaries. Yes, it does prove that they were fulla shit the whole time. 

No it could be that they just realized that games have to happened and they cut a different deal. They may just be willing to take less of a loss. It may also be good for their CBA negotiations if they give up more than the players now. They may be playing the long game.

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The owners agreed to full prorated salaries. Yes, it does prove that they were fulla shit the whole time. 

If the owners are caving - that would make them the ones putting the game ahead of their agenda. The ones we probably could thank when we have baseball back. How you turn that in to a negative is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If the owners are caving - that would make them the ones putting the game ahead of their agenda. The ones we probably could thank when we have baseball back. How you turn that in to a negative is beyond me.

He saw something that he could force into alignment with his good guy / bad guy narrative.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Not sure if they players will go for the waiving of potential grievances at 60 games, but this is a bit more detailed than Buster's run down of the offer. 

They’re not going to get anything better and they won’t want to risk being the reason for the sport not resuming play.

This will be accepted in all likelihood.

3 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Not sure if they players will go for the waiving of potential grievances at 60 games, but this is a bit more detailed than Buster's run down of the offer. 

I could see a quick little back and forth and maybe it nudges up to 65 games or something. But really - if they're getting full prorated pay while there's no fans in attendance, they should probably take the money and run.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This is a fun little tidbit too.

It'll be like March Madness.  WHITE SOX will be the low seed- and goes far team.  Calling it now ;) 

I could see a quick little back and forth and maybe it nudges up to 65 games or something. But really - if they're getting full prorated pay while there's no fans in attendance, they should probably take the money and run.

Yeah I think the sweet spot would be 65ish games, maybe they counter with low 70s and meet in the middle.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

If the season is still going to end on 9/27, they're not going to get much more than 65 games.  But, I could see some back and forth before agreeing on a few more than 60.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

16 teams in the playoffs is stupid. For this year, 14 is acceptable. But if they’re saying 16 next year in a full season, that’s just awful. 

Do you like March Madness?

I used to hate the idea of expanding playoffs.. But our sport is dying, and after thinking about it, if having a bunch of teams turns into a wild playoff (think March Madness) where a 16 seed makes it to the final 4... Imagine how exciting. That could actually be the thing to draw new fans in, at least for that month.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

16 teams in the playoffs is stupid. For this year, 14 is acceptable. But if they’re saying 16 next year in a full season, that’s just awful. 

16 does seem like a lot, but might as well see how it goes.  If it's a disaster, a new agreement can be made.  Good news is that the Sox will have no excuse to not make the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It's not a negative, it's more about Buster Olney's tweet from this post: 

They were full of shit the entire time, and now they're caving and making themselves look like the "good guys." 

It's all PR bullshit. You're buying the con. 

They could have done this 4-5 weeks ago, but got greedy and thought they could squeeze more out of the players. 

Don't be fooled. All of the bullshit that happened for the last month and all of the negative PR is 100% on ownership. 

If they were actually losing money they would not have caved on the prorated salaries so quickly after the MLBPA called their bluff. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Do you like March Madness?

I used to hate the idea of expanding playoffs.. But our sport is dying, and after thinking about it, if having a bunch of teams turns into a wild playoff (think March Madness) where a 16 seed makes it to the final 4... Imagine how exciting. That could actually be the thing to draw new fans in, at least for that month.

I don’t look to other sports and think Baseball should follow. Baseball should do what it does well, and make it the best they can. The everyday nature of MLB makes the six month grind special, and being one of 8 or 10 teams to make the postseason a huge accomplishment. That’s why they celebrate in locker room just for making it.  If they go to 16 permanently, under .500 teams will make the postseason, and really make the regular season pointless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don’t look to other sports and think Baseball should follow. Baseball should do what it does well, and make it the best they can. The everyday nature of MLB makes the six month grind special, and being one of 8 or 10 teams to make the postseason a huge accomplishment. That’s why they celebrate in locker room just for making it.  If they go to 16 permanently, under .500 teams will make the postseason, and really make the regular season pointless. 

^^^^^

When it comes to the playoffs, less is more. 

I think the NFL has too many teams in the playoffs, and they have 6. 

The only league that could justify a 16 team playoff is the NHL, and even then it's iffy. 

The NBA should totally cut their playoffs to 8 teams. 

IMO 8 teams is the right amount, and you take the best 8 teams regardless of division or conference or what have you. 

If they're going to have such a large playoff structure, then they don't need as many games as they play in every league except the NFL. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^^^

When it comes to the playoffs, less is more. 

I think the NFL has too many teams in the playoffs, and they have 6. 

The only league that could justify a 16 team playoff is the NHL, and even then it's iffy. 

The NBA should totally cut their playoffs to 8 teams. 

IMO 8 teams is the right amount. 

In a vacuum, MLB is the best sport for expanded playoffs. One rotation gets hot and it can change everything. There's the most upset potential.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

In a vacuum, MLB is the best sport for expanded playoffs. One rotation gets hot and it can change everything. There's the most upset potential.

You could say the same about a hot goalie in the NHL, except that's just one guy instead of four. 

JS Giguere and Jaroslav Halak got hot and took their teams to the SCF and conference final respectively. 

That Ducks team and that Montreal team had no business beating the Stars and Capitals respectively in those seasons. Both won the presidents trophy(best regular season in the NHL) and were out in the first round because they ran into a hot goalie. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1