Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

MLB going to 16 teams in the playoffs would make it unwatchable for me. The regular season wouldn't matter and the playoffs would be a joke. 

I'm fine with discussions on adding a wild card here or there, but any expansive additions would result in losing me as a fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

In a vacuum, MLB is the best sport for expanded playoffs. One rotation gets hot and it can change everything. There's the most upset potential.

So again, what’s the point of the six month grind? Where’s the reward for winning 88+ games?
Expanding the playoffs would encourage teams to seek a level of mediocrity that may or may not get you in the playoffs, but cheap teams can still sell it to fans that they tried. Making the playoffs in MLB is supposed to be difficult.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

So again, what’s the point of the six month grind? Where’s the reward for winning 88+ games?
Expanding the playoffs would encourage teams to seek a level of mediocrity that may or may not get you in the playoffs, but cheap teams can still sell it to fans that they tried. Making the playoffs in MLB is supposed to be difficult.

^^^^^^

The last thing we want as Sox fans is for ownership to have an excuse to not put the team over the top with talent.

We've all seen way too much of that shit over the last two decades. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

A lot of teams are already seeking mediocrity with rebuilding, although for long-term gain. I don't see much of a difference here. Makes fans more interested. Maybe not include half of each league, but 12 or 14 teams total would be good for me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

I'm in favor of like, 8 teams, not 16, for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

A lot of teams are already seeking mediocrity with rebuilding, although for long-term gain. I don't see much of a difference here. Makes fans more interested. Maybe not include half of each league, but 12 or 14 teams total would be good for me.

I'd rather go through a long-term rebuilding process than watch 162 games of a team that is designed to win 77 games but if everything goes right, they might win 85 and sneak into the playoffs. You'd have a metric ton of that shit throughout baseball with an expanded playoffs. 

10 teams with the current setup is the most I could handle. Otherwise you're giving owners an excuse to be content with mediocrity. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

MLB going to 16 teams in the playoffs would make it unwatchable for me. The regular season wouldn't matter and the playoffs would be a joke. 

I'm fine with discussions on adding a wild card here or there, but any expansive additions would result in losing me as a fan. 

Peace.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

You already bailed on the Sox once to become a Padres fan, that lasted less than a year, and here you are.

But cool story. 

Still upset with 'sox ownership, but couldn't dig the late night games (thought i'd be more of a night owl, but instead im an early riser on the eastern coast). Still not 100% down with the w'sox, love my TB Rays too. 

But seriously, the framework of extended playoffs would make the regular season useless. 

I don't watch or follow the NBA/NHL for mainly that reason. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Still upset with 'sox ownership, but couldn't dig the late night games (thought i'd be more of a night owl, but instead im an early riser on the eastern coast). Still not 100% down with the w'sox, love my TB Rays too. 

But seriously, the framework of extended playoffs would make the regular season useless. 

I don't watch or follow the NBA/NHL for mainly that reason. 

The NHL playoffs are the best tournament in sports. You're missing out. It's the only league where the number of playoff teams is close to justified. The margin between an 8 seed and a 4 seed in that league is paper thin. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd rather go through a long-term rebuilding process than watch 162 games of a team that is designed to win 77 games but if everything goes right, they might win 85 and sneak into the playoffs. You'd have a metric ton of that shit throughout baseball with an expanded playoffs. 

Isn't 60% of the league currently shit teams?  lol

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not a negative, it's more about Buster Olney's tweet from this post: 

They were full of shit the entire time, and now they're caving and making themselves look like the "good guys." 

It's all PR bullshit. You're buying the con. 

They could have done this 4-5 weeks ago, but got greedy and thought they could squeeze more out of the players. 

Don't be fooled. All of the bullshit that happened for the last month and all of the negative PR is 100% on ownership. 

If they were actually losing money they would not have caved on the prorated salaries so quickly after the MLBPA called their bluff. 

Enough of the drama queen act. It's not a con, it's negotiations. In the end, the owners caved. Good for the players since it appears they're giving up little to nothing.

Would it of been nice if this was done a month ago? I guess. But remember, no sports have restarted yet. I'm not sure we lost anything. Maybe some sanity was lost for those fans that followed this ordeal tooth and nail, but that's about it. The pandemic wasn't ready for this to be restarted a few weeks ago.

Anyway, let's hope they seal the deal and we have our Sox in a month or whatever.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Tony said:

If you really feel that way, don’t watch. 

But you will watch. That’s the point. I know it, baseball knows it, and you probably knows it to. 

But it looks cool on a message board to say “I’m done! I won’t watch again!” 

Negative. Not sure why you feel this strongly about what I, personally, would do. 

42 minutes ago, hi8is said:

They’re not going to get anything better and they won’t want to risk being the reason for the sport not resuming play.

This will be accepted in all likelihood.

Yes. It gives the owners the extra playoffs in 2021 if they dont happen this year. Good deal.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

In a league without a draft lottery it's pretty cut and dry. Either you want to be one of the best teams, or one of the worst. Being caught in the middle is horrible. 

So let's let more teams in the playoffs so more will be "buyers" or try.. Logically, that will happen

• Like 1

Expanded playoffs could win us a World Series. It might be hard to beat out the Twins for the division just yet. But if the Sox can squeak in the playoffs, then guys like Kopech and Cease start to show their potential....ok I'm dreaming now lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1