Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I wonder how trading players will work, if there will be some sort of mid season deadline or just everything goes because it's so unique of a situation

No idea. If I had to guess, I'd say there will be an August 31st deadline. Complete guess though.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'd go as far to say that in the exact circumstances of a ~60 game season, 16 playoff teams, and all games being played against a team's own division + the corresponding division of the other league, the White Sox have a >50% chance at making the playoffs.

FWIW I had them as an 83-86 win team this year in a normal season (with plenty of potential for variance)

Fully agree.  I definitely undersold our chances a bit.  It’s going to be interesting how guys like Kopech, Rodon, & Madrigal fit into the equation with the shortened season.  If you can’t game service time, will we just start the season with Kopech & Madrigal on the 25 man roster?  And will Rodon be ready for some role if the season starts in mid July?

Imagine something like this right out of the gate:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Encarnacion, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  • IF: Mendick
  • OF: Engel
  • UT: Garcia#
  • UT: Collins*
  • BC: McCann
  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel*
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech
  • CL: Colome
  • SU: Bummer*
  • SU: Herrera
  • SU: Rodon*
  • MR: Cishek
  • MR: Fry*
  • MR: Cordero
  • MR: Marshall
  • LR: Gonzalez*
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fully agree.  I definitely undersold our chances a bit.  It’s going to be interesting how guys like Kopech, Rodon, & Madrigal fit into the equation with the shortened season.  If you can’t game service time, will we just start the season with Kopech & Madrigal on the 25 man roster?  And will Rodon be ready for some role if the season starts in mid July?

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Encarnacion, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel*
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech

I don’t see why that can’t compete with anybody

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Encarnacion, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel*
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech

I was under the impression that they were expanding the 25 man roster. Last I read it was at 29? Is this because of the no milb season? Are they still considering this? Like this roster by the way. Cody Heuer was looking good in ST before the abrupt halt.  If they expand the roster could see a bullpen role.

Edited by smellysox

38 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I was under the impression that they were expanding the 25 man roster. Last I read it was at 29? Is this because of the no milb season? Are they still considering this? Like this roster by the way. Cody Heuer was looking good in ST before the abrupt halt.  If they expand the roster could see a bullpen role.

I read somewhere that the latest proposal might have a 30 man roster, but it will definitely be >25

• Thanks 2

I think the AL playoff teams are (by division): Astros, A's, Angels, Twins, Indians, White Sox, Yankees, Rays.

This leaves the Mariners, Rangers, Tigers, Royals, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Red Sox out. The only teams I'd entertain making it out of those are the Rangers, Blue Jays, and Red Sox, but I feel like it's the Angels, not us, who would be the weakest team making it in

10:09pm: The players would have $33MM of the $170MM advance they received from their March agreement with the owners forgiven, per Heyman. Teams, meanwhile, would be able to sell advertisements on uniforms in 2020 and ’21 in order to increase their revenues, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.”

We’re soccer uniforming it now, gross.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

10:09pm: The players would have $33MM of the $170MM advance they received from their March agreement with the owners forgiven, per Heyman. Teams, meanwhile, would be able to sell advertisements on uniforms in 2020 and ’21 in order to increase their revenues, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.”

We’re soccer uniforming it now, gross.

I hate this, but I hate not having baseball more.

I just hope the advertisements will match the aesthetic of the uniforms (I know they won't).

• Like 1

I really don't care about the advertisements on uniforms.  If it helps get baseball back on the field, I'm for it.

Maybe it'll end up being like a minor league game where everything that happens is sponsored by someone.  "That strikeout is sponsored by Allstate, and that argument between the batter and umpire is sponsored by Budweiser.  Oh, and that dust being kicked onto homeplate by the manager is sponsored by Dirt Devil,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Encarnacion, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Jimenez, LF
  7. Robert, CF
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B
  1. Giolito
  2. Keuchel*
  3. Cease
  4. Lopez
  5. Kopech

Bro.... you forgot Yermin.

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I read somewhere that the latest proposal might have a 30 man roster, but it will definitely be >25

I think an expanded roster makes the most sense since there will be no minor league seasons That way you give some of your higher ranked prospects a chance to play especially guys like Mercedes,Collins,  and pitchers since we have no idea if Rodon and Dunning can now pitch. Nice choice to have between Gio Gonzales and Kopech for the starting or bullpen roles. I'm sure Gio didn't come here to pitch in the bullpen. Who knows how it all that works out . Besides Giolito and Keuchel you could realistically start or bullpen Cease,Lopez, Kopech, Gonzales, Rodon and Dunning since it's doubtful pitcher go that many innings in their starts then as the season progresses the guys that do best in their roles become the starters. Hell you could even take a long look at Crochet.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

55 minutes ago, oldsox said:

If there is a 2020 season, will there be a Minor League season, too?  I don't see any conversation anywhere about the minors.

No there's not going to be a minor league season. There will be an extended fall league in AZ/FLA.  The Sox taxi squad will be playing out of the stadium in Rosemont.  I'm really interested to see how that is going to work.  

10 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think the AL playoff teams are (by division): Astros, A's, Angels, Twins, Indians, White Sox, Yankees, Rays.

This leaves the Mariners, Rangers, Tigers, Royals, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Red Sox out. The only teams I'd entertain making it out of those are the Rangers, Blue Jays, and Red Sox, but I feel like it's the Angels, not us, who would be the weakest team making it in

Rays should be a playoff team based on last year's showing. 

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No there's not going to be a minor league season. There will be an extended fall league in AZ/FLA.  The Sox taxi squad will be playing out of the stadium in Rosemont.  I'm really interested to see how that is going to work.  

Have you heard Rosemont because I've heard North Central College? Also, the extended fall league the way it was initially described sounds awesome. Every team would have their own "prospect team" during an extended AFL season. It would be pretty cool. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Have you heard Rosemont because I've heard North Central College? Also, the extended fall league the way it was initially described sounds awesome. Every team would have their own "prospect team" during an extended AFL season. It would be pretty cool. 

They should definitely televise that extended AFL season.  It would be fun to watch those "prospect teams".  

Is my missing of baseball showing too much?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I was told there are issues with the field at North Central.  

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So like the all stars from each team?  sounds dope