Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

4 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So essentially, the owners-side leaked out that we had an agreement yesterday to create public outcry towards the players. And it worked.

This whole thing is such a debacle. 

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

MLBPA:  "WhenAndWhere"

MLB:  "July 19, the ballpark"

MLBPA:  "Oh...well, I mean..."

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Except that's likely not how it went down. You are falling for gimmicks. 

I'm not falling for anything.  I'm actually agreeing with you that this is the negotiation dynamic the owners are trying (and likely succeeding) to create.

58 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous now.  Enough of this shit.  Let's go.

eh, as someone who was very negative on negotiations, THIS is what final negotiations look like. 

Yesterday was the first real movement from owners, players take it back to get more, owners say No way, the worst we'll do is X, then it signs.

If the owners then propose 54 games tomorrow, then we're back to hell zone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Kinda wondering why owners should have guaranteed profit margins at the expense of contracts they've signed and agreed to. It's not like players' salaries suddenly increase if the teams make more money than expected.

The owners signed and agreed to contracts based on fans attending games. Most of their revenue and expenses are known before they sign those players to contracts. They "guarantee" their profits always. 

The owners actually got the players to look bad. The just tell us when and where to report was so good. They played the owners, who were then stuck. Now they get a few more games, so more pay, expanded playoffs....and they have to then say , you know , how about 70 games? They now look like the group that doesn’t want a deal. 

Rob Manfred and Tony Clark, if either side has any sense, both have to go.

Here's my prediction. They don't finish the season. There will be too many sick players and the season will be called off by the middle of September. If the owners truly wanted a shorter season they should have used the safety of the players as justification. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Here's my prediction. They don't finish the season. There will be too many sick players and the season will be called off by the middle of September. If the owners truly wanted a shorter season they should have used the safety of the players as justification. 

Agreed. 

I have mixed feelings. It's probably pretty dumb to have a season now. If the owners announced cancellation this weekend I wouldn't blame them. Coming back is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. 

If MLB or any other sport tries to play I expect it to be a disaster where it's cancelled due to a huge covid outbreak. 

I miss sports as much as anyone, but the brain tells me it's dumb, even though I want it back badly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1