Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

If I was a player, he'd be my agent. 

He works out great for the star players. What about lesser players? How about Kyle Funkhouser? Boras pushed him to not sign with the Dodgers as a late first rounder. The next year he's a 4th rounder and lost millions, which he will likely never see again. Or should we get in to the Jose Fernandez fiasco?

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. 

I have mixed feelings. It's probably pretty dumb to have a season now. If the owners announced cancellation this weekend I wouldn't blame them. Coming back is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. 

If MLB or any other sport tries to play I expect it to be a disaster where it's cancelled due to a huge covid outbreak. 

I miss sports as much as anyone, but the brain tells me it's dumb, even though I want it back badly. 

I agree with this. The virus is breaking out too much in too many states right now. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I think like concerts, we just gotta suck it up and say, cya in 2021. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I agree with this. The virus is breaking out too much in too many states right now. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I think like concerts, we just gotta suck it up and say, cya in 2021. 

I think the NHL is going to try anyway. With a bubble, there's a chance they can pull it off.

The other thing is that hockey culture is different than the other sports, that are more business oriented from the players perspective. 

The NFL is gonna have huge issues this fall.....they don't know what they're in for. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

He works out great for the star players. What about lesser players? How about Kyle Funkhouser? Boras pushed him to not sign with the Dodgers as a late first rounder. The next year he's a 4th rounder and lost millions, which he will likely never see again. Or should we get in to the Jose Fernandez fiasco?

I suppose you could look for the perfect agent. Someone without any experience or with just a couple clients and they would not have any failures on their resumes. If that is the path you chose go for it. I'll take the guy with a ton of successes against a handful of failures. Isn't it great we both have choices?

I just don't care for Boras.  I didn't like his style in the Carlos Rodon negotiations, and I don't think he has had a positive effect on the current labor negotiations.  In fact, from what I have read, he has had a negative effect.  So I don't care for him.  If he, or anyone, is bad for baseball, I don't like him.  I kind of liked Gordon Gekko (Greed is Good), but Boras -- not so much.

4 hours ago, Sarava said:

Even some of the "star" or at least good players have been bungled lately too. Moustakas (before his Cincy contract) being one of them

36 minutes ago, Tony said:

Without sounding too much like Parkman, this feels like the nail in the coffin for the 2020 season. If a deal was already in place, I could see them still powering through, but this is going to really complicate things. And this could just be the tip of the iceberg with teams/staff. 

This all just blows. 

Yup, 100%. 

Covid being around at this point makes the season going ahead seem foolish. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So some Phillies have been working out at their spring training site in FL for several weeks. 5 players and a few staffers have tested positive for the virus. Not a good sign.

5 players and 3 staff members. Also waiting on results for 32 others. Really not good

Any decent agent will take the PR hit for his client. That helps the player which helps the agent. People seem to think that all Boras has to do is say something and players and owners somehow just fall under a spell and agree. Who know if the players accepted his advice or rejected it? 

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed. 

I have mixed feelings. It's probably pretty dumb to have a season now. If the owners announced cancellation this weekend I wouldn't blame them. Coming back is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. 

If MLB or any other sport tries to play I expect it to be a disaster where it's cancelled due to a huge covid outbreak. 

I miss sports as much as anyone, but the brain tells me it's dumb, even though I want it back badly. 

The league should just play every game in New York and Chicago now. I remember a month ago when I said Chicago would be a hub city for the NHL and people thought I was nuts. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oldsox said:

I just don't care for Boras.  I didn't like his style in the Carlos Rodon negotiations, and I don't think he has had a positive effect on the current labor negotiations.  In fact, from what I have read, he has had a negative effect.  So I don't care for him.  If he, or anyone, is bad for baseball, I don't like him.  I kind of liked Gordon Gekko (Greed is Good), but Boras -- not so much.

He's good for the sport. He gets players what they're worth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So some Phillies have been working out at their spring training site in FL for several weeks. 5 players and a few staffers have tested positive for the virus. Not a good sign.

Multiple Sox guys have been working out at Camelback this whole time. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Is this honestly a suprise though? I would hope when they finalize their deal, they put a plan in place for these things. To not plan for players to get the virus is foolish. It's going to happen. I don't see how it's changed much from when negotiations started back in March in regards to the virus, when things were much, much worse and not much was known about it. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Is this honestly a suprise though? I would hope when they finalize their deal, they put plana in place for these things. To not plan for players to get the virus is foolish. It's going to happen. I don't see how it's changed much from when negotiations started back in March in regards to the virus. 

Exactly. There will be positive tests. This is why lots and lots of testing will be key in all of this. 

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Is this honestly a suprise though? I would hope when they finalize their deal, they put plana in place for these things. To not plan for players to get the virus is foolish. It's going to happen. I don't see how it's changed much from when negotiations started back in March in regards to the virus. 

It's going to happen, but there's some huge problems if and when it does. You've got coaches and staff who are high risk, and probably some players who are too. We know that even among the so-called healthy groups, people die, or people get very sick. Pick a player on the White Sox, imagine them winding up on a ventilator 25 games into the season, how does that do for team morale or the season?

And if you want the big one from the baseball perspective, imagine you're in the middle of the NLDS, one of the Dodgers gets it somewhere, and by the time it's recognized, 5 people have picked it up and the entire starting lineup for both teams have to do a 7 day quarantine. Do we just call off the series? There's no real answer to that.

21 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Fully agree.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's going to happen, but there's some huge problems if and when it does. You've got coaches and staff who are high risk, and probably some players who are too. We know that even among the so-called healthy groups, people die, or people get very sick. Pick a player on the White Sox, imagine them winding up on a ventilator 25 games into the season, how does that do for team morale or the season?

And if you want the big one from the baseball perspective, imagine you're in the middle of the NLDS, one of the Dodgers gets it somewhere, and by the time it's recognized, 5 people have picked it up and the entire starting lineup for both teams have to do a 7 day quarantine. Do we just call off the series? There's no real answer to that.

Well, the players obviously want to take the risk, otherwise I think the season would be cancelled had the majority of them not want to risk it. I would imagine the players association would have had those conversations about various "what-if" scenarios. So any player that is going to play, is willingly taking that risk of the first scenario you laid out. They can sit out if they want, and I would imagine the coaches who don't want to risk it would as well. I don't think anyone would be penalized for it, other than no pay.

And as for the 2nd scenario, I suppose that could happen,  but if it hasn't happened by the time the postseason comes around, it probably won't, as those guys have been breathing the same air for 2 months already.

Edited by ScooterMcGee