Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

5 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

60 games. what a joke lmfao 

Too bad they couldn’t get it together sooner and be playing by early July, but at this point, a short season and full postseason is better than no baseball in 2020. It’s an asterisk season no matter what, but to not play at all would be very bad for MLB in the long run.

I'm not sure what it is that the MLBPA wants right now. This deal is significantly better for them than Manfred imposing a season. No DH, No expanded playoffs, etc. The players get a chunk of revenue for expanded playoffs. They don't get anything for traditional playoffs. I also don't think they win a grievance. That's why MLB is holding strong on ending the regular season on September 27th. By not negotiating past that stop date, it gives them an advantage if a grievance is filed in my opinion. 

Sheer greed/self-interest and the coronavirus response destroyed this season in equal measure.

Perfectly summarizes not only not only the state of society, but also the world of sports in 2020 with deca billionaires, deca millionaires and the fans just struggling to survive.

Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis invoked that phrase “for the good of the game.”   That concept of someone on either side being able to see the forest for the trees is certainly lacking now.

"Baseball is something more than a game to an American boy; it is his training field for life work. Destroy his faith in it and you have destroyed something more; you have planted suspicion of all things in his heart. "

One of the biggest things I'm worried about as a Sox fan, and it's very ironic...is that the changing economics post covid make all of the contracts that were signed over the 18 months overpayments, and it significantly hampers the Sox ability to retain talent and even keep those players. 

Imagine if the going rate for stars drops to a point where Moncada and Robert's contracts are market value or worse. What if Grandal and Keuchel's contracts look ridiculous as soon as this winter?  How would that affect the Sox window? 

Things are even worse for the Angels with Trout and Rendon's contracts probably making it impossible to build a team around them, and the Phillies might get messed up from Harper and Wheeler. Not only would these contracts be impossible to build around, they could be impossible to move. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

One of the biggest things I'm worried about as a Sox fan, and it's very ironic...is that the changing economics post covid make all of the contracts that were signed over the 18 months overpayments, and it significantly hampers the Sox ability to retain talent and even keep those players. 

Imagine if the going rate for stars drops to a point where Moncada and Robert's contracts are market value or worse. How would that affect the Sox window? 

Things are even worse for the Angels with Trout and Rendon's contracts probably making it impossible to build a team around them, and the Phillies might get messed up from Harper and Wheeler. Not only would these contracts be impossible to build around, they could be impossible to move. 

So the US dollar remains strong in this scenario, and there is possibly deflation instead of inflation? But the revenue from baseball is just astronomically lower?

I don't buy it. If anything, I think these contracts will look even better due to inflation.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This season is f***ed

At this point who really cares! I'm all for cancelling the season this year. 50 or 60 games is a joke, and with players being continually tested you know there will be a amount of players that test positive which will just complicate things more. I think they should along with basketball and hockey forget about this year and resume as usual next year. As for football if the same problems exist do the same. I myself just figure this year is a complete right off.

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

So the US dollar remains strong in this scenario, and there is possibly deflation instead of inflation? But the revenue from baseball is just astronomically lower?

I don't buy it. If anything, I think these contracts will look even better due to inflation.

It has nothing to do with the value of a dollar. It has everything to do with the value of a dollar within the bubble of baseball. I think everyone misunderstands what I wrote. If revenue drops, baseball salaries drop. It's that simple. How low will they go is the question. You'd have to be crazy to think that players are going to get the same dollar amounts as in 2019. 

I mean, I'm about as pro-labor as you can get but if revenue has been cut by 40-55%, then salaries will drop by a similar amount. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Imagine if the going rate for stars drops to a point where Moncada and Robert's contracts are market value or worse. What if Grandal and Keuchel's contracts look ridiculous as soon as this winter?  How would that affect the Sox window? 

Not according to the DJIA.

If the 80/20 rule follows (20% of the ticket and suite buyers comprising 80% of revenue outside of media), then it's much more related to the financial health of those upper income season ticket buyers and local/regional corporations that utilize sports marketing to reach their target audiences.

Could those potentially fall by 10-25% over the next two years?   Will media rights deals fall off into an abyss?   Well, we will just have to wait and see.

The first test case will be the Cubs' complete debacle with negotiating Marquee carriage rights in the middle of all this uncertainty.

We have a number of recent examples with major economic interruptions such as 1997-98, 2001-2003 and 2008-2009 to study.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not according to the DJIA.

If the 80/20 rule follows (20% of the ticket and suite buyers comprising 80% of revenue outside of media), then it's much more related to the financial health of those upper income season ticket buyers and local/regional corporations that utilize sports marketing to reach their target audiences.

Could those potentially fall by 10-25% over the next two years?   Will media rights deals fall off into an abyss?   Well, we will just have to wait and see.

The first test case will be the Cubs' complete debacle with negotiating Marquee carriage rights in the middle of all this uncertainty.

We have a number of recent examples with major economic interruptions such as 1997-98, 2001-2003 and 2008-2009 to study.

One of the first things that companies will cut in an economic downturn is luxury suites at sporting events.