Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

On 6/23/2020 at 11:48 AM, Balta1701 said:

From the stuff going around about the Health and Safety Protocols it sounds like they're going to have the players sitting in the ballpark seats rather than the dugout so that they can have some spread to the players during the games. So, having fans in there would be a real issue with that requirement.

Probably will need to cordon off a whole section and put a cage around it. If there are fans  there will always be idiots who might spit on players or think they are funny doing fake sneezes and coughs at them or even spitting on them from above. I would imagine no autographs for those hounds too. Forget it no fans  should be allowed.

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m actually starting to come around to you being more right than wrong on this. I think you’re crazy to think we won’t have baseball for 2-3 years, but as we currently stand today, I think the odds of baseball getting to the MLB Postseason this year is about 20–30%.

We are trending in the wrong direction. 

My thoughts: 

2020 is in severe jeopardy due to Covid

2021 is going to have similar issues as 2020, unless somehow the president  and certain governors correct their rectal-cranial inversion and take Covid seriously. 

CBA is up in 2022 and there is going to be a war, which was going to happen regardless of Covid. If the CBA wasn't up I'd say there'd be baseball in 2022 but both MLB and the NHL are going to have issues with the next round of negotiations. The NFL is very lucky they extended their CBA before Covid. Otherwise, they'd be in some shit too. The NBA is far enough away that they can get away with it. 

My optimistic side says that we might get an 82 game season in 2021. With the way things are trending, It's incredibly optimistic to think they're going to finish this season and they're going to start 2021 on time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They might not get through training camp before having to shut it down. 

They're full steam ahead. We may not agree but the league is expecting positive tests and they're ready for them. Prepare to be uncomfortable. They have this taxi squad for a reason as well. They're committed to doing this and they wouldn't even attempt it if positive tests would shut down the league again. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, SoxAce said:

Rodon just confirmed it on twitch chat FWIW.

Oh and FWIW, heard he hit 99 in his bullpen session a few weeks ago. I asked him personally on discord how his bullpen work was going. His response and I quote "Daddy's back."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They're full steam ahead. We may not agree but the league is expecting positive tests and they're ready for them. Prepare to be uncomfortable. They have this taxi squad for a reason as well. They're committed to doing this and they wouldn't even attempt it if positive tests would shut down the league again. 

Whether we open up the world today or open it up in 1 year.  If there is no vaccine, there will be a jump in cases.  Just logical.  They should be expecting cases, you're right.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's not positive cases that I'm worried about.  Are they prepared for the possibility that someone connected with the league could get covid and die?  The league would shut it all down in a heartbeat.

Figuring out the right thing to do is impossible. There is a difference between testing positive and being sick. There are also different permutations/degrees of sickness and wide variables relating to transmission activity/risks. I agree with the leagues viewpoint that positive tests are to be expected but the show will go on. If, as a result, MLB can model a framework that other spectator sports can follow, we all have reason to be optimistic. 

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Oh and FWIW, heard he hit 99 in his bullpen session a few weeks ago. I asked him personally on discord how his bullpen work was going. His response and I quote "Daddy's back."

Rodon is like the Sox version of Mark Prior. 

I'd like for him to stick around past next year but I don't think that's realistic. 

He could be a really good signing for someone. It's a shame he hasn't and won't help the Sox that much. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

That is awesome.  Not sure how we make 7 starters work, but there could be a real possibility that Michael Kopech legitimately starts in the minors with all of the other starters healthy.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That is awesome.  Not sure how we make 7 starters work, but there could be a real possibility that Michael Kopech legitimately starts in the minors with all of the other starters healthy.

That's the problem. There are no minors this season. 

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think Gio or Rodon goes to the bullpen. All 3 will be on the roster

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

I keep seeing hold Magical and Kopech down for service time. But what are we holding them down to do? I think we would be the first team to lose a grievance for service time manipulation if we did this. I can see it now. "Madrigal needed the extra week of light practice to prepare for the bigs. He was able to improve his deficiencies by just practicing" "Kopech really needed to throw leisurely in a controlled setting for 4 weeks to be ready to pitch in the bigs."