Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Reading Passan on Espn.com, there seems to be a big question whether MLB will be able to play in front of fans in 2021.

Why? Most agree that there should be a vaccine by the fall now. 

People are just looking for clicks, I swear. It's like the media in April that was saying the total lockdowns would last for 18 months. Here we are in late May and 49/50 states have begun some form of reopening. (Yup, the one that hasn't is Illinois)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Richie said:

People are just looking for clicks, I swear. It's like the media in April that was saying the total lockdowns would last for 18 months. Here we are in late May and 49/50 states have begun some form of reopening. (Yup, the one that hasn't is Illinois)

“Most” definitely don’t. It seems possible but it’s impossible right now to anticipate problems or to figure out if a company is releasing positive press releases to bump up its stock price. Most of the experts are still saying 12-18 months for it to be available and then several more months to manufacture hundreds of millions of doses is more likely. 

Passans statement specifically was that if we go into next year and baseball owners are on the hook for full salaries but can’t have normal stadium capacities, the owners will say they can’t do it.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

“Most” definitely don’t. It seems possible but it’s impossible right now to anticipate problems or to figure out if a company is releasing positive press releases to bump up its stock price. Most of the experts are still saying 12-18 months for it to be available and then several more months to manufacture hundreds of millions of doses is more likely. 

Passans statement specifically was that if we go into next year and baseball owners are on the hook for full salaries but can’t have normal stadium capacities, the owners will say they can’t do it.

There are enough vaccines getting set to go to large scale human trials that I think early next year is a reasonable goal with late this year a possibility. I dont really think that the baseball season is in jeopardy. His reasoning is sound but I dont think that situation will happen.

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Very few agree there will be a vaccine by the Fall. January 2021 might be a possibility. 

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

There are enough vaccines getting set to go to large scale human trials that I think early next year is a reasonable goal with late this year a possibility. I dont really think that the baseball season is in jeopardy. His reasoning is sound but I dont think that situation will happen.

It’s a good goal but who really knows? The big Oxford one has hit a roadblock. There are many things they have been working for many years for a vaccine to no avail. Hopefully it comes, but to think it happens before the end of the year and the vast majority of the population will actually have it by next June or July, let alone when the baseball season starts is pretty optimistic.

Edited by Dick Allen

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s a good goal but who really knows? The big Oxford one has hit a roadblock. There are many things they have been working for many years for a vaccine to no avail. Hopefully it comes, but to think it happens before the end of the year and the vast majority of the population will actually have it by next June or July, let alone when the baseball season starts is pretty optimistic.

I think there are enough trials out there that it will happen earlier than that. Obviously there is no way to be certain. However, just like the discussion of baseball there is far too much money involved for it not to get pushed along.

It will be interesting to see the FDA approval.  The FDA is far more conservative than any other country. Normally it can take years before a drug is approved here after it is in Europe. I bet that doesn't happen here.

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The issue with this is that the owners kind of have proof that the agreement from March didn't refer to playing games without fans. It's clearly right there in the documentation. Tony Clark is just bad at his job. The players got paid through May, convinced the owners to have a draft (albeit a sham of one) and they get their service time in a lost season. While focusing on all that, they missed the fine  print. They need to and will negotiate a new deal this week. It sounds like the solution could be prorated salaries for players but deferred down the line a bit. Ken Rosenthal wrote yesterday that some owners want to just get started and pay the salaries and other owners don't. This is a fight on multiple fronts. While being mostly pro player, what these guys did to their future members in the draft makes it pretty tough for me to actually feel bad for them. 

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The issue with this is that the owners kind of have proof that the agreement from March didn't refer to playing games without fans. It's clearly right there in the documentation. Tony Clark is just bad at his job. The players got paid through May, convinced the owners to have a draft (albeit a sham of one) and they get their service time in a lost season. While focusing on all that, they missed the fine  print. They need to and will negotiate a new deal this week. It sounds like the solution could be prorated salaries for players but deferred down the line a bit. Ken Rosenthal wrote yesterday that some owners want to just get started and pay the salaries and other owners don't. This is a fight on multiple fronts. While being mostly pro player, what these guys did to their future members in the draft makes it pretty tough for me to actually feel bad for them. 

Seems like future major leaguers (current minor leaguers or potential draftees) ger shafted a lot from these negotiations...

They sure don't seem to be in any hurry. They're going to talk Friday?? Geez, the clock keeps ticking on the summer. Maybe it'd help if NHL gets the puck rolling with its 24 team tourney format. Get it going, NBA, NHL, MLB, please.

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The issue They don't have proof of anything. The players have said since day 1 they would be willing to renegotiate a new salary structure if the owners would send documnents proving their financial distress.  Weeks have gone by and they still haven't sent the requested documentation but what they have done is float a salary structure they knew was a non-starter then leak  bullshit propaganda to their buddies in the press to paint the players as the bad guys.  The owners have to stop this crap and make a legitimate offer but they are waiting until the last minute to bully the players into a bad deal.with this is that the owners kind of have proof that the agreement from March didn't refer to playing games without fans. It's clearly right there in the documentation. Tony Clark is just bad at his job. The players got paid through May, convinced the owners to have a draft (albeit a sham of one) and they get their service time in a lost season. While focusing on all that, they missed the fine  print. They need to and will negotiate a new deal this week. It sounds like the solution could be prorated salaries for players but deferred down the line a bit. Ken Rosenthal wrote yesterday that some owners want to just get started and pay the salaries and other owners don't. This is a fight on multiple fronts. While being mostly pro player, what these guys did to their future members in the draft makes it pretty tough for me to actually feel bad for them. 

They don't have proof of anything. That was an internal email that proves nothing. The players have said since day 1 they would be willing to renegotiate a new salary structure if the owners would send documnents proving their financial distress.  Weeks have gone by and they still haven't sent the requested documentation but what they have done is float a salary structure they knew was a non-starter then leak  bullshit propaganda to their buddies in the press to paint the players as the bad guys.  The owners have to stop this crap and make a legitimate offer but they are waiting until the last minute to bully the players into a bad deal. I hope the players tell them to go pound sand.

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Seems like future major leaguers (current minor leaguers or potential draftees) ger shafted a lot from these negotiations...

When you aren't part of the union and most likely never will be, you tend not to be a high priority. 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, Balta1701 said:

I am almost positive that everything I've read over the last couple of weeks talks about a vaccine being circulated by the fall. Even the experts working with the WH outlined a plan along those lines, I believe. 

It's been a long time since I saw someone say that it will be 12-18 months. Meaning, mid-to-late next year? No. 

On 5/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, SCCWS said:

Very few agree there will be a vaccine by the Fall. January 2021 might be a possibility. 

January 2021 was the consensus a few weeks ago, yes. That has changed from everything I have seen in the news and experts in/out of the WH. Along with what I have heard from the doctors within my personal circle. 

2 hours ago, Richie said:

January 2021 was the consensus a few weeks ago, yes. That has changed from everything I have seen in the news and experts in/out of the WH. Along with what I have heard from the doctors within my personal circle. 

I read where if everything goes right and somehow they have a vaccine by the end of the year, the front line health professionals will be the first vaccinated. It will take quite a while to get close to everyone vaccinated.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:03 AM, Richie said:

Huh? https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-introduction

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This was always going to get ugly publicly before a deal was agreed to. The progress of these negotiations appears to be pretty bleak, but I am still optimistic they will figure this thing out. Too much to lose by not getting a deal done. 

On 5/23/2020 at 4:21 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

I’m still going to start a 2020 attendance thread so we can add pandemic to the list of reasons Sox fans don’t go to games.

Some people will still blame SportsVision and the White Flag Trade if the attendance is zero this year.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

All that wasted time and the best the owners could come up with is a sliding scale of paycuts.  Idiots

I think it's a pretty good idea. The article made a good point that the owners make most of their money in the post season. There is a pretty good chance that no matter what anyone does there will be a resurgence of the virus in the Fall. If this happens and the playoffs are canceled it could be devastating for some teams. The sliding scale with post season money if they are played makes sense.