Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The owners only get playoff money if fans are interested in the playoffs. In this scenario, not many fans will be interested in the season or the playoffs. Might as well just have an RBI Baseball tournament to determine the champion. 

I disagree. I think most of the fans would enjoy it. Besides its not the fans that matter it would be how willing the network deals for the playoffs which have been negotiated. Part of the current negotiations are increased playoffs games. That would only increase the playoff money.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think 100 would be too many. If the season started July 1, the Sox would have 76 games left going by the original schedule. Squeezing in 100 would be tough. I think 80 is realistic.

Yeah 80 is good. 76, like you said they would have left, plus 4 days off for All-Star break that they can play games instead of being off gives you the 80.

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd wager 0 players would opt out...

1. They make no money.

2. Their teammates and fans would hate them.

Form the sounds of it, there is a number of players who fall into the at risk category.  I would bet the number is greater than zero.

I've moved firmly to the camp that believes season will be canceled at this point. This is the most embarrassing negotiation process I can imagine, and manfred should resign and personally apologize for being a failure to every baseball fan on earth. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've moved firmly to the camp that believes season will be canceled at this point. This is the most embarrassing negotiation process I can imagine, and manfred should resign and personally apologize for being a failure to every baseball fan on earth. 

Both sides know they have way too much to lose to cancel the season over money.  They'll both give some, there will be baseball, and one side will be more pissed than the other.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Both sides know they have way too much to lose to cancel the season over money.  They'll both give some, there will be baseball, and one side will be more pissed than the other.

that's what I thought, but this isn't how you negotiate if you cared if the season happened. And if the owners think they will lose money anyway this season, they'd rather do it while making sure the players get screwed.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I think what happened yesterday proves that there will be a season. It'll be ultimatum time at some point. If the two sides can't agree, the commissioner can unilaterally decide on a 50 game season at full prorated salaries. At that point, I suppose the players could refuse to play but I think that leverage pushes the two sides to an agreement. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

This post/opinion is so 5 days ago. lol. The owners are caving. There's probably going to be a deal this week, IMO.

13 hours ago, bmags said:

that's what I thought, but this isn't how you negotiate if you cared if the season happened. And if the owners think they will lose money anyway this season, they'd rather do it while making sure the players get screwed.

This is exactly how negotiations happen. Each side starts out far apart, they act outraged at the other party's offer, compromises are slowly conceded to one another and the two sides slowly inch together. In the midst of this process, a multitude of times, one party or the other will storm away feigning outrage and exclaim that the deal has fallen apart. "It will never happen! They're totally unreasonable!".

We're already seeing the compromises happen. Honestly, they're not even being slick with their bluffs and every time the public buys into it. lol

1 hour ago, Richie said:

This is exactly how negotiations happen. Each side starts out far apart, they act outraged at the other party's offer, compromises are slowly conceded to one another and the two sides slowly inch together. In the midst of this process, a multitude of times, one party or the other will storm away feigning outrage and exclaim that the deal has fallen apart. "It will never happen! They're totally unreasonable!".

We're already seeing the compromises happen. Honestly, they're not even being slick with their bluffs and every time the public buys into it. lol

It’s June, this isn’t negotiating for the 2021 CBA.

The NBA has had the general structure worked out for weeks and it has still dragged out to finalize and won’t start until late July - and the NBA doesn’t have a weather issue.

Each side trading an offer each week doesn’t cut it.

15 hours ago, Richie said:

This post/opinion is so 5 days ago. lol. The owners are caving. There's probably going to be a deal this week, IMO.

I hope they cave. After no sports at all, 110 baseball games would be perfect. Please let the players win.

11 hours ago, Quin said:

When you add in the disgusting racist faction of this family, I am not sure there is an ownership group I dislike more than this one in pro sports, and that doesn't even include the Cubs factor in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

When you add in the disgusting racist faction of this family, I am not sure there is an ownership group I dislike more than this one in pro sports, and that doesn't even include the Cubs factor in it.

Agreed.  I'd have a tough time justifying my fandom if I was a Cubs fan.  Good thing I hated them already!

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Agreed.  I'd have a tough time justifying my fandom if I was a Cubs fan.  Good thing I hated them already!

Doesn't help that Tom Ricketts look suspiciously like Ted Cruz.

• Haha 1