Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, that's a no-brainer.  No sense to cancel a season and lose on development of some of the younger players (especially with the Sox).  50 games would kind of suck, but no games would really suck.

I'd much rather be a young team missing a year versus an old team with its window closing, but yes there are no winners here.

5 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What has made you change your guess from around 80 games to 65 games? Just the lack of a deal so far?

Yeah I was just wrong. People I'd talked to thought it would get done. I thought league would offer to prorate salary with deferrals. Players won't take any deferrals. That's something I didn't anticipate. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Doesn't the playoff money only go to playoff teams?  Is the compromise going to get some of that to the players who lose out?

I may have misunderstood the report. But I thought the playoff revenue would be split among all of them not just the playoff teams.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It sure seems like the owners made a bullshit offer because they want to force a 48 game svhedule at prorated salary because they know some players won't play and that's less salary to pay and more money in their greedy pockets.  

I thought it was a good compromise. Owners are protected a little if there are no playoffs. Players gain if there is. According to the report, if there are playoffs the players would get 70% of the revenue for the year.

Edited by ptatc

Great opportunity to maybe get some new fans to the sport with no other live sports available.   But I guess they are going to blow that by not being able to reach a compromise.  Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Great opportunity to maybe get some new fans to the sport with no other live sports available.   But I guess they are going to blow that by not being able to reach a compromise.  Very disappointing.

I'll say it again...neither side is dumb enough to kill the Golden Goose.  They do make me wonder however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Hurtin said:

Is it time to revisit abolishing MLB's antitrust exemption?

I really don't think it would change much in the way the fans see the game. In reality the MLB is the weakess ownership group in all of the major sports. It's the only one without a salary and where the players have guaranteed contracts. The cost control for the players is stronger in all of the other sports.

15 hours ago, wegner said:

You mean besides the NHL and NBA which are starting up again?

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

MLB has the opportunity to be the first to return, though.  Well, at least they HAD the opportunity.  It's slipping away by the day.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think that's going to happen. By mid to late July I think most of the country is going to be SIP again. AZ and TX opened up earlier than anyone else and shit is about to hit the fan there. The rest of the populated states are about 4-6 weeks behind them. I miss sports as much as anyone, but I just don't see it. :(

The US opened too early, I think it's pretty clear. 2020 is fucked, and probably winter of 21 as well. The best we could hope for is that we have this shit solved by next Spring. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think that's going to happen. By mid to late July I think most of the country is going to be SIP again. AZ and TX opened up earlier than anyone else and shit is about to hit the fan there. The rest of the populated states are about 4-6 weeks behind them. I miss sports as much as anyone, but I just don't see it. :(

The US opened too early, I think it's pretty clear. 2020 is fucked, and probably winter of 21 as well. The best we could hope for is that we have this shit solved by next Spring. 

LOL nah

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fam

B

Bro

Dude

R-e-l-a-x.  We got this. 

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's a good catch.

He forgot to add the playoff pool money that would make the final proposal worth more if there are playoffs. It's the owners trying to mitigate their loses if there is no playoffs.

Edited by ptatc

Are pitchers even throwing right now? Are players staying in shape and taking BP anywhere? It's mid June for gosh sakes. Baseball season is normally storming toward the all star break by now. You'd think if there is this opportunity to play, both sides would be celebrating and getting on the field. But especially the owners. They should be grateful the players want to play during this risk of catching COVID and suck it up one year and give them almost everything they want. The owners own the teams. Do what it takes, be generous and get the players on the field while government and the health experts are giving the OK to play. How hard is this?

If Arizona is near crisis stages because of all the cases, this all may be moot soon anyway. This COVID ain't letting up apparently. Play ball while you have a chance.

Edited by greg775