Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I agree w the commish. . 

On June 19, Nippon Professional Baseball will open its pandemic-delayed season, roughly three months late, commissioner Atsushi Saito told an online press conference

https://jballallen.com/npb-goes-viral-season-to-start-on-june-19/

Japan had 33 cases nationwide yesterday. My county is having that every day.

10 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Okay draft is over. Time to figure this shit out and get the season rolling. Thanks.

A lot of Sox fans want the short season, but I am leery about playing less than 100 games. This was supposed to be a big developmental year for our young guys and we are punting that to 2021 if this season is too short. 

52 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

A lot of Sox fans want the short season, but I am leery about playing less than 100 games. This was supposed to be a big developmental year for our young guys and we are punting that to 2021 if this season is too short. 

Would have been really fun to follow Andrew Vaughn in the minors this season.

23 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If all of our pitchers are healthy, who do you guys think should be our starting 5? 

The only one who may not be ready is Rodon. They should have Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Gonzalez and Keuchal.

23 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If all of our pitchers are healthy, who do you guys think should be our starting 5? 

Giolito
Keuchel
Lopez
Cease
Gonzalez

I'm torn, though.  I'd love to see Kopech in there.  If he's definitely ready to start and go 5-6 innings, maybe he's there instead of Gonzalez.  But don't we finally want to see Gonzalez actually pitch for the Sox? :) 

22 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Giolito
Keuchel
Lopez
Cease
Gonzalez

I'm torn, though.  I'd love to see Kopech in there.  If he's definitely ready to start and go 5-6 innings, maybe he's there instead of Gonzalez.  But don't we finally want to see Gonzalez actually pitch for the Sox? :) 

Kopech has been ready since the fall. Most pitchers return from UCL-R at around 12 months. He's been about 22 months.

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Then I would have him in there in place of Gonzalez or Lopez.

I would think thats the plan. When Rodon returns they will have the choice of the other of those to for the pen. The bullpen could be really good with both Lopez and Gonzalez in it.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Getting closer. That's the equivalent of about 58 games and full pro-rated pay. I read somewhere that the owners said about 60 games at full pay is their break even point with playoff money.

Edited by ptatc

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Getting closer.

Closer, but the players will (should) not accept anything less than 100% pro rated salaries. Haven't they already publicly declined this latest offer? (idk)

really sad and annoying that these two groups can't just come together over their demands. Players *clearly* want 100% on their pro rated salaries, owners clearly won't go over 50ish games at that level. 

Like... sit in a room and work it out. It's insane to me that these groups can't do that and instead go to the public with their offers to try to one up the other side for the favor of the fans. 

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Closer, but the players will (should) not accept anything less than 100% pro rated salaries. Haven't they already publicly declined this latest offer? (idk)

really sad and annoying that these two groups can't just come together over their demands. Players *clearly* want 100% on their pro rated salaries, owners clearly won't go over 50ish games at that level. 

Like... sit in a room and work it out. It's insane to me that these groups can't do that and instead go to the public with their offers to try to one up the other side for the favor of the fans. 

Yep. The owners have that number (valid or not) where they've said they need to be if there are playoffs. It's around 60. They are playing with all different scenarios but it all comes down to that so far.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would think thats the plan. When Rodon returns they will have the choice of the other of those to for the pen. The bullpen could be really good with both Lopez and Gonzalez in it.

That could be a really deep rotation. And then Rodon could be ready by August. 

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Giolito
Keuchel
Lopez
Cease
Gonzalez

Good to have a solid amount of options. Especially at the possibility of doubleheaders (regardless if scheduled or not).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Giolito
Keuchel
Lopez
Cease
Gonzalez

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Good to have a solid amount of options. Especially at the possibility of doubleheaders (regardless if scheduled or not).

With a 29-30 man roster and a short spring, no earthly reason to have any pitchers going every 4th day, even with the DH games. Add in Rodon and Kopech at the least. Then if you get in trouble somewhere, you have plenty of guys to put out in the bullpen as needed for short outings. 

What will be more interesting is if we see some guys like Dunning or Crochet held as part of the "backup players" or whatever they're called. 

• Like 1