Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

51 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It definitely would be a good time for a rival league to start. I kind of agree with you. If they can't agree to play now they never will. This is the summer of the virus and given a chance to do something they let their skills go dormant. 

Pardon my ignorance but have players been getting their full salaries during this corona stoppage? If not why not? They are under contract.

Why you gotta come in here and 1 up me like this? I can't compete with this. You win, greg.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm nowhere near that confident but imo the owners are going to ask for financial concessions from the players to play in 2021. That probably puts next year in jeopardy as well. 

But if next year is a full 2021 season, wouldn't it fall under the current CBA guidelines? Would the owners really be able to ask for anything under that? I assumed that was happening now just because of a shortened season

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

It definitely would be a good time for a rival league to start. I kind of agree with you. If they can't agree to play now they never will. This is the summer of the virus and given a chance to do something they let their skills go dormant. 

Pardon my ignorance but have players been getting their full salaries during this corona stoppage? If not why not? They are under contract.

They're getting paid, but not full amount, IIRC.  That was (rather quickly) agreed upon last March, I believe.  

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

But if next year is a full 2021 season, wouldn't it fall under the current CBA guidelines? Would the owners really be able to ask for anything under that? I assumed that was happening now just because of a shortened season

In normal circumstances, yes but an ongoing pandemic changes things. 

Based on how things are going right now who knows when it will be safe for fans again.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I just love everything the owners have done to increase interest in baseball and save the sport the past few years

• Add a wild card spot
  • Cut 42 minor league teams
  • Shorten the draft
  • Let the Astros off with a slap on the wrist because public judgement will be their true punishment
  • Push back J2 signings
  • Call the World Series trophy a piece of metal
  • Get Congress to pass the "Save America's Pastime Act" to allow them to continue to pay minor leaguers below minimum wage
  • Make hand over fist money while crying poor
  • Have roughly half the league not even try to compete, but instead follow the Astros/Cubs model and tank hard
  • Try to renege on a previously agreed upon deal, thus preventing baseball from being the first sport back while America was crying out for any sense of normalcy and entertainment
  • Pace of play
  • Hi8is addition: $50 parking
  • Bmags addition: Pissing off Trout as he swims upstream, avoids all the flies, and ricochets through the record books across the universe
  • Addition after James' thread: FBI investigation into their Latin American operations

Did I miss anything?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I just love everything the owners have done to increase interest in baseball and save the sport the past few years

• Add a wild card spot
  • Cut 42 minor league teams
  • Shorten the draft
  • Let the Astros off with a slap on the wrist because public judgement will be their true punishment
  • Push back J2 signings
  • Call the World Series trophy a piece of metal
  • Get Congress to pass the "Save America's Pastime Act" to allow them to continue to pay minor leaguers below minimum wage
  • Make hand over fist money while crying poor
  • Have roughly half the league not even try to compete, but instead follow the Astros/Cubs model and tank hard
  • Try to renege on a previously agreed upon deal, thus preventing baseball from being the first sport back while America was crying out for any sense of normalcy and entertainment
  • Pace of play

Did I miss anything?

Massive scout layoffs.

Continuing to antagonize/disrespect the best player in the game in trout.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Really? With the season tickets its 16. I didnt realize we got that much of a discount.

I believe Boston does not provide a discount for season ticket parking. Their rates last year ran $50 down to $10. based on distance from park

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I believe Boston does not provide a discount for season ticket parking. Their rates last year ran $50 down to $10. based on distance from park

Got it. I thought he meant the Sox. In Boston it doesn't surprise me. There is no parking around there. Its a true premium.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

In normal circumstances, yes but an ongoing pandemic changes things. 

Based on how things are going right now who knows when it will be safe for fans again.

I see. If the pandemic is still ongoing in 2021, this world is f***ed.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Got it. I thought he meant the Sox. In Boston it doesn't surprise me. There is no parking around there. Its a true premium.

Only have been to Chicago twice for home games. California native here so all I know is Dodgers and Angels parking, which ranges from $30 to $50...

$20 if you want to walk a mile.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Only have been to Chicago twice for home games. California native here so all I know is Dodgers and Angels parking, which ranges from $30 to $50...

$20 if you want to walk a mile.

ok. I thought the sox  were bad with 20 parking next to the stadium. Guess not.