Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

13 hours ago, RCWHITESOX said:

At this point who really cares! I'm all for cancelling the season this year. 50 or 60 games is a joke, and with players being continually tested you know there will be a amount of players that test positive which will just complicate things more. I think they should along with basketball and hockey forget about this year and resume as usual next year. As for football if the same problems exist do the same. I myself just figure this year is a complete right off.

Lots of people care, actually. I want to see this White Sox team play baseball. I also don't want to see friends in many industries like radio, tv, advertising, media, scouting etc fired because there's no baseball this year. It's not about you. If you don't want to watch then don't watch. 

• Like 9

If the players can still get the DH and expanded playoffs for the remainder of the current CBA, they should take it IMO. I'm not keen on giving in, but it seems the owners strategy has worked. They wanted 60 games or fewer, so they just wait it out without a deal until 60 games is the maximum feasible amount. At this point, there's no way in hell they're getting 70 so just take the DH and expanded playoffs and go into CBA discussions with a chip on your shoulder. 

I also don't think that the MLBPA realizes how much money they're losing by not instituting a cap and floor system. Pretty much everyone except the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox has an internal budget that they won't exceed anyway. Forcing the 26 other teams to spend at least 90-100M on payroll puts more money in players pockets than allowing those four teams to spend whatever they want. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

We shouldn't be surprised that there have been players and staff who have tested positive for COVID, especially if there had been groups at their spring training sites.  I don't imagine it's a coincidence that we're just hearing about it now.  It's obviously very important moving forward that there are solid protocols in place for when games start.  Testing will have to be robust along with tracing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

We shouldn't be surprised that there have been players and staff who have tested positive for COVID, especially if there had been groups at their spring training sites.  I don't imagine it's a coincidence that we're just hearing about it now.  It's obviously very important moving forward that there are solid protocols in place for when games start.  Testing will have to be robust along with tracing.

If games occur,  I think you can reduce exposure in and around the ballpark. But I don't know how solid protocols will be away from the ballpark, especially for the home team. 

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Holy...so do you think the Sox would allow fans if the league permitted it?

As a season ticketholder, I'm sure if the Sox allowed, i would get the chance, but I would pass. As much as I love going to games, and as much as I miss it, it isn't worth the risk until there is a vaccine or this thing just went away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Holy...so do you think the Sox would allow fans if the league permitted it?

I just don’t know how they would be able to do it from a logistical standpoint. They could obviously spread people out in terms of where they sit, but what about the big groups of people congregating when the gates open? Or when everyone leaves after the game? 

26 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The league keeps making concessions because they can tell the vote will not go their way. Union is doing a good job here of extracting more and more and it makes sense for them to reject it as is.

The expanded playoffs generally benefit the owners. Why would you trade that plus your grievance rights just for 8-12 more games. The owners are clearly concerned about the potential for the grievance to succeed so if you have a billion in potential damages and say even just a 30 percent chance to win, that is worth 300 million. 

So if the owners trying to run out the clock to ensure its only a 60 game season tops, then the players should get something worth the difference between 300 million (or whatever they peg as the rough chance of success times max damages) and what will be imposed vs what's offered. 

The players are doing the right thing. That's why Manfred keeps sweetening it, it's cause he has to.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

37 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't get why the players would reject this deal at this point in time.  

The MLBPA badly botched this situation, so that they will have to vote against their own self interests today (additional games, universal DH, expanded playoffs) and instead get the mandated 50 game season.  By making that final counterproposal, which MLB ignored, they can't now accept MLB's previous proposal without sending a signal of weakness and incompetence to the owners, which they surly wouldn't forget come CBA time.  It also likely ended any chance the players had at winning a grievance against MLB.  It was just a terrible, terrible mistake by Tony Clark, et al.

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As a season ticketholder, I'm sure if the Sox allowed, i would get the chance, but I would pass. As much as I love going to games, and as much as I miss it, it isn't worth the risk until there is a vaccine or this thing just went away.

I'll take your tickets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yup I’m all good, thanks. 

I think it would be great if fans can attend Sox games this year.  I don't think I would go to a game.  Partially due to the risk, but more so because of logistics.  I can't imagine it would be as enjoyable as it should be.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It's not going to go away.  People who refuse to do anything before a vaccine may have a loooooong boring life ahead.. It could be YEARS for one.

• Like 1