Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hogan873

Will There Be a 2020 Season?

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

  1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

    • Season is cancelled
      59
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
      10
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
      14
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
      21
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
      19
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
      22
    • Another scenario...leave some comments
      2


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hopefully that's what he's been doing since his 1 and only appearance in a ST game. But he now appears to have a crisis of some sort. No details yet. It's in another thred. Someone will probably start a new thread about it. Might turn out to be be nothing but the announcement did have an ominous feel to it.

I'm sure he's already in great shape, but not being at camp (should it become several days) will allow the White Sox to use even more caution with him. It may align with his service time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spiderman said:

I'm sure he's already in great shape, but not being at camp (should it become several days) will allow the White Sox to use even more caution with him. It may align with his service time as well.

Maybe too conveniently aligning with his service time.  I say that without belittling what may be a serious situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe too conveniently aligning with his service time.  I say that without belittling what may be a serious situation.

Yes, I would prefer to not speculate on why he's not at camp. Hopefully, it's unrelated to health reasons and some completely unrelated. 

Let's play this out though - assuming he comes back shortly and is ready to pitch, what is the White Sox rotation and how does limited spring training alter how they would use him?

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Gonzalez and Cease are all likely to start the season in the rotation. Does Kopech become the 6th guy? Do they move Gonzalez into the bullpen as a long-reliever? Very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Yes, I would prefer to not speculate on why he's not at camp. Hopefully, it's unrelated to health reasons and some completely unrelated. 

Let's play this out though - assuming he comes back shortly and is ready to pitch, what is the White Sox rotation and how does limited spring training alter how they would use him?

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Gonzalez and Cease are all likely to start the season in the rotation. Does Kopech become the 6th guy? Do they move Gonzalez into the bullpen as a long-reliever? Very interesting.

I've given it some thought and all we can do is speculate and see what happens. I think they go with a 5 man rotation. Kopech in the pen to start the season unless Gonzalez isn't ready to go either. Only Lopez Keuchel and Cease pitched much in ST so I think those 3 along with Giolito are in the rotation. That leaves Gonzalez, Kopech and Rodon. My guess is Gonzalez is in the rotation  , Kopech and Rodon in the pen as pitchers following the starters  perhaps Kopech pairs with Keuchel and Rodon (if healthy ) pairs with Lopez or Cease. After that you just manage innings and build up stamina in all 7 . By game 30-40 start shaping the rotation with who has pitched best with an eye toward the playoffs . Who knows maybe a surprise guy like Dunning comes out of nowhere and forces himself in the conversation too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spiderman said:

Yes, I would prefer to not speculate on why he's not at camp. Hopefully, it's unrelated to health reasons and some completely unrelated. 

Let's play this out though - assuming he comes back shortly and is ready to pitch, what is the White Sox rotation and how does limited spring training alter how they would use him?

Giolito, Keuchel, Lopez, Gonzalez and Cease are all likely to start the season in the rotation. Does Kopech become the 6th guy? Do they move Gonzalez into the bullpen as a long-reliever? Very interesting.

I think they should consider moving Lopez to the bullpen. He'd probably end up throwing 100 mph out of the pen and because he's really inconsistent with his secondary pitches, he can experiment with all three of them to see which ones work best. I think he should focus on his curve and change because I think those are his better secondaries. The problem he has using slider/changeup is that they're both around the same velocity in the mid 80s. 

The other thing is that you have to see if Rodon can stay healthy. If he does, you might be able to get him for a bargain of a contract because of his injury issues. We all know what Rodon can do when he's healthy....the issue is that he's rarely available. 

If I were setting the rotation it would be: 

Giolito

Keuchel

Kopech/Cease

Rodon

Cease/Kopech

Gonzalez as a piggy back with Kopech/Rodon/Cease if necessary

Lopez to the bullpen, with the option to piggy back if Gonzalez is unavailable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kopech left the team to deal with a personal matter.  The team said he is 100 percent healthy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Kopech left the team to deal with a personal matter.  The team said he is 100 percent healthy 

Uh ohhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vanessa is AA and I am sure he must be suffering from that white guilt syndrome we read about. Dealing with CV can be exhausting as well. He will be back. Ian Desmond had a hard time too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they should consider moving Lopez to the bullpen. He'd probably end up throwing 100 mph out of the pen and because he's really inconsistent with his secondary pitches, he can experiment with all three of them to see which ones work best. I think he should focus on his curve and change because I think those are his better secondaries. The problem he has using slider/changeup is that they're both around the same velocity in the mid 80s. 

The other thing is that you have to see if Rodon can stay healthy. If he does, you might be able to get him for a bargain of a contract because of his injury issues. We all know what Rodon can do when he's healthy....the issue is that he's rarely available. 

If I were setting the rotation it would be: 

Giolito

Keuchel

Kopech/Cease

Rodon

Cease/Kopech

Gonzalez as a piggy back with Kopech/Rodon/Cease if necessary

Lopez to the bullpen, with the option to piggy back if Gonzalez is unavailable. 

No reason to give up on Lopez starting yet. The guy has great stuff and has thrown some gems. Let him start another year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, pcq said:

Vanessa is AA and I am sure he must be suffering from that white guilt syndrome we read about. Dealing with CV can be exhausting as well. He will be back. Ian Desmond had a hard time too. 

This is particularly awful form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is particularly awful form.

Sarcasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sal Perez and Freeman test positive. It's pretty apparent the only way we have baseball is playing through the positive tests and figuring the new normal in America is letting coronavirus do its thing. This sucks, all the positive tests in sports.   Just saw the end of a TBT game on ESPN. The two coaches were standing there about one foot from each other chatting and players doing the same. They obviously aren't concerned but I am.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sal Perez and Freeman test positive. It's pretty apparent the only way we have baseball is playing through the positive tests and figuring the new normal in America is letting coronavirus do its thing. This sucks, all the positive tests in sports.   Just saw the end of a TBT game on ESPN. The two coaches were standing there about one foot from each other chatting and players doing the same. They obviously aren't concerned but I am.

Just because our government failed us is no reason to “let the coronavirus do its thing”. Why do other countries not have the issues we have? The White House made this political and failed us all. If one baseball player or one NBA player or one NFL pllayyeror one NHL player gets so sick he dies or cannot continue with his career, the just live with it people will change their tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 2:26 PM, pcq said:

Vanessa is AA and I am sure he must be suffering from that white guilt syndrome we read about. Dealing with CV can be exhausting as well. He will be back. Ian Desmond had a hard time too. 

AA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Just because our government failed us is no reason to “let the coronavirus do its thing”. Why do other countries not have the issues we have? The White House made this political and failed us all. If one baseball player or one NBA player or one NFL pllayyeror one NHL player gets so sick he dies or cannot continue with his career, the just live with it people will change their tune.

I’d imagine part of it is we’re morbidly obese as a nation.
 

I’d imagine that’s why a country like Japan is able to succeed with their Public healthcare system. They don’t need to perform gastric bypasses all day, everyday.  Universal healthcare is easy when your people are generally healthy. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Just because our government failed us is no reason to “let the coronavirus do its thing”. Why do other countries not have the issues we have? The White House made this political and failed us all. If one baseball player or one NBA player or one NFL pllayyeror one NHL player gets so sick he dies or cannot continue with his career, the just live with it people will change their tune.

How did the White House specifically fail us? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, spiderman said:

How did the White House specifically fail us? 

We were supposed to shut everything down with martial law and never let anybody or any imports into the country ever again.  
 

Even doing that the urban areas would have still gotten hit hard but overall we’d have less dead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

We were supposed to shut everything down with martial law and never let anybody or any imports into the country ever again.  
 

Even doing that the urban areas would have still gotten hit hard but overall we’d have less dead

I would have loved to see Trump attempting to shut down the country in February.  There is not one politician that would have supported that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I would have loved to see Trump attempting to shut down the country in February.  There is not one politician that would have supported that.

Of course not.  Headlines:

“Xenophobia is officially in charge.  Prison camps next?”

”Look at unracist Sweden wide open doing just fine!”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The white house failed us when they 'politicized' the virus calling it a democratic hoax. Because of that a lot of Trump supporters still refuse to wear a mask. Just a few months ago Jerksticks was saying it was a common cold. Probably still believes that.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the political COVID discussion to the proper thread, let’s keep this to baseball if we can. Discussion can continue on political dealings with COVID, but this is the wrong thread for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×