Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd imagine Cooper would be incredibly high risk.  Dude sounds like he's abou to croak on his best days.  That would a difficult decision for him.

Umpires would be a group that a lot of them would be high risk for sure.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm sure they've thought of it but I still haven't seen a clear answer from any of the major sports about this issue.

If MLB clearly had a case crop up through them, they'd potentially be exposing themselves to an awful lot of liability legally,  and could you imagine the bad press if a manager or coach or player died? 

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reportedly told teams not to comment on the possibility of an outbreak or how it would be handled. I would imagine all sports are handling it this way until they have an answer for it. 

13 minutes ago, Richie said:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has reportedly told teams not to comment on the possibility of an outbreak or how it would be handled. I would imagine all sports are handling it this way until they have an answer for it. 

That’s the right move for now, but you can’t “no comment” it if a season starts, you have to either have a responsible country that got it under control (out of the question) or have an answer to it.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s the right move for now, but you can’t “no comment” it if a season starts, you have to either have a responsible country that got it under control (out of the question) or have an answer to it.

Agreed. 

Here's the latest proposal that Ken Rosenthal has obtained from MLB: https://theathletic.com/1804433/2020/05/09/rosenthal-latest-details-on-baseballs-plan-to-return/

It will be presented to the players this week. 78-82 game regular season in home ballparks. White Sox would play only teams from AL Central and NL Central. 7 playoff teams in each league. 

If they’re only playing 9 teams, not sure what “seven teams from each league” means. If it’s going to be weird, then just have the top teams from each 10-team region be seeded 1-3, the second place teams be seeded 4-6, and then have the next 4 best records seeded 7-10. Then treat 7 thru 10 like wildcard teams and keep the playoff format the same other than you could possibly play any team from any region in any round. 

Edited by flavum

So it sounds like 12 or 13 games against the Twins, Indians, Royals, and Tigers and 6 games vs Cubs, Brewers, Reds, Pirates, and Cardinals.  Probably would lose the DH for 15 games.

I hate the 7 playoff teams. Can’t stand it. Really dumb.

Hopefully they can come to an agreement this week. 

12 minutes ago, flavum said:

So it sounds like 12 or 13 games against the Twins, Indians, Royals, and Tigers and 6 games vs Cubs, Brewers, Reds, Pirates, and Cardinals.  Probably would lose the DH for 15 games.

I hate the 7 playoff teams. Can’t stand it. Really dumb.

Hopefully they can come to an agreement this week. 

Are they saying 7 teams in the playoffs per 10 team league? 

I also think they need to try and play 100 games to make this season worthwhile. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I also think they need to try and play 100 games to make this season worthwhile. 

It's still the American League and National League. The only thing that's different is the schedule. The Sox would play 12/13 vs KC, Cleveland, Minny and Detroit. And they'll play 6 games vs Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates and Reds. It's 78-82 games. Then they will take 7 playoff teams from the AL and 7 playoff teams from the NL. Seed it 1-7 with division winners 1-3. The top seed gets a bye in each league. 7 at 2, 6 at 3, 5 at 4. Likely a DH in both leagues. 

• Like 1

Maintaining the AL/NL divide...I really like that. But 7 out of 15 teams in baseball is just too many. It’s supposed to be hard to make the postseason in baseball. 10 of 30 is perfect for MLB. If 32 teams happens someday, 12 is acceptable. 14 out of 30 where an under .500 team may win a championship? No, hell no. 

A compromise in a theoretical season like this, 6 from each league would be ok. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

On the 100 game season, if they're really serious about "spring training" in June, and starting the season, say July 2nd, I don't see why they can't play the regular season until October 14, which would mean 105 days (30 series).  With expanded rosters, doubleheaders and giving every player individual days off, they could do this...they probably could get it up to 108 games if they wanted.

Then a neutral site postseason in Texas, Arizona or California (domes or nice weather) from October 15 to November 18.

Edited by flavum

21 minutes ago, flavum said:

Maintaining the AL/NL divide...I really like that. But 7 out of 15 teams in baseball is just too many. It’s supposed to be hard to make the postseason in baseball. 10 of 30 is perfect for MLB. If 32 teams happens someday, 12 is acceptable. 14 out of 30 where an under .500 team may win a championship? No, hell no. 

A compromise in a theoretical season like this, 6 from each league would be ok. 

I disagree here because they have to keep fans interested as much as possible. I think they should actually have 16 teams make it, especially if the season is only 80 games. More fans would watch and the playoffs could be an extension of the season, giving us more quality baseball. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I disagree here because they have to keep fans interested as much as possible. I think they should actually have 16 teams make it, especially if the season is only 80 games. More fans would watch and the playoffs could be an extension of the season, giving us more quality baseball. 

Disagree. The postseason is for the cream of the crop....that's quality baseball.  Not mediocre teams. 6th best team is pushing it. 7th and 8th, no way. 

Edited by flavum

55 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's still the American League and National League. The only thing that's different is the schedule. The Sox would play 12/13 vs KC, Cleveland, Minny and Detroit. And they'll play 6 games vs Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates and Reds. It's 78-82 games. Then they will take 7 playoff teams from the AL and 7 playoff teams from the NL. Seed it 1-7 with division winners 1-3. The top seed gets a bye in each league. 7 at 2, 6 at 3, 5 at 4. Likely a DH in both leagues. 

Oh I see. That makes more sense. But it is tough to still have AL vs NL when you are only playing 9 teams, 5 of which are in another league. I guess this would make our schedule much easier than having that other schedule. 

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Oh I see. That makes more sense. But it is tough to still have AL vs NL when you are only playing 9 teams, 5 of which are in another league. I guess this would make our schedule much easier than having that other schedule. 

Originally what I was thinking. As much as I would love to see way more games with Cubs, MiL, Stl, Cin, etc the Sox chances of winning more games and making the postseason are definitely heightened playing more games against KC and Detroit. Though I'm not sure maybe playing more games against Minnesota balances it out?

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Originally what I was thinking. As much as I would love to see way more games with Cubs, MiL, Stl, Cin, etc the Sox chances of winning more games and making the postseason are definitely heightened playing more games against KC and Detroit. Though I'm not sure maybe playing more games against Minnesota balances it out?

True but the AL East gets the Nats, Braves, Phillies, and Mets. The AL West gets the Dodgers and DBacks. So for us the Twins and Tribe are tough but still manageable. The Cards, Brewers, Reds, and Cubs are solid, but they are also on our playing field. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, flavum said:

Disagree. The postseason is for the cream of the crop....that's quality baseball.  Not mediocre teams. 6th best team is pushing it. 7th and 8th, no way. 

In a normal year yes. In a year where sports went away and had people watching video game tournaments, more playoff teams and games are better. Also, in baseball 80 games is not enough to separate the non great teams. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In a normal year yes. In a year where sports went away and had people watching video game tournaments, more playoff teams and games are better. Also, in baseball 80 games is not enough to separate the non great teams. 

Six is ok in year like this (if it’s 78 or 82). I still wouldn’t want a 39-43 team making the postseason. The good teams will still make it.  The problem with MLB and Manfred is once you start something, it’s less likely they go backwards. The 7 in each league idea sucked when it was 162 games.