Will There Be a 2020 Season?

hogan873

Will there be a 2020 season? And if so, what will it look like?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK is going to happen?

• Season is cancelled
    • Season starts in June with all teams in AZ. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June with teams at spring training facilities. No fans all season.
    • Season starts in June either in AZ or spring training sites, and limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks with no fans all season
    • Season starts in June/July at home parks. Limited attendance is eventually allowed by late summer.
    • Another scenario...leave some comments

1 hour ago, flavum said:

It means teams playing in their own parks; not the Arizona/Florida thing they were talking about.

Thanks. I can't imagine having fans. Can you imagine the cases uncovered after one homestand??

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I just read DH for all if a limited schedule is played with geography used for scheduling. It could be the in road to finally have universal DH. 

I read the first part and thought "double headers for all" it will be some fun days watching. Then I finished the sentence and thought "well I still like it."  😁

Anyone else feel like the owners going with the most restrictive form of the draft despite it being seemingly against their own interests was mostly just done to signal to players that yes, the owners will burn it all down rather than give in to labor demands.

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anyone else feel like the owners going with the most restrictive form of the draft despite it being seemingly against their own interests was mostly just done to signal to players that yes, the owners will burn it all down rather than give in to labor demands.

Yup

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now you know why they were willing to punt on the draft.  The MLB guys got theirs.

50/50 is fine. NBA players get 52%.

I applaud both sides for doing this though, it certainly makes most sense but it sucks.

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think so. With the CBA coming up, they are starting the process and precedents here.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now you know why they were willing to punt on the draft.  The MLB guys got theirs.

No kidding. Good deal for them. It may be a precursor to a floor/ceiling cap in the next CBA.

I may be wrong and I cna't find the article, but I'm fairly certain that on average mlb players do better than 50% revenue in their salaries. This is almost certainly a pay cut on %, and obviously will be a cut to the overall pie.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Who are you applauding and for what?

I'm applauding them for starting with a revenue sharing model rather than dealing with % cuts to individual salaries which is where I thought it would start. Them haggling up front with this makes me feel very hopeful.

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's going to be shot down.  The players say they have already negotiated the pay structure.  

If the players hold to that, then there will be no season. While this is clearly an offer that would benefit owners long-term (precedent especially), with no gate revenues the owners can't pay current contracts, so it will be genuinely up to the PA to decide whether avoiding that precedent is worth sacrificing any season.

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's going to be shot down.  The players say they have already negotiated the pay structure.  

I don't see what there is to negotiate. You play half the season, you get paid for half the season. Plus, no tickets being sold nor concessions. Major revenue loss for the teams. How is that deal not fair to the players? Unless I am missing something, seems to be more than fair to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the players hold to that, then there will be no season. While this is clearly an offer that would benefit owners long-term (precedent especially), with no gate revenues the owners can't pay current contracts, so it will be genuinely up to the PA to decide whether avoiding that precedent is worth sacrificing any season.

I think they ultimately will agree to some sort of pay cut (though not this one) but they will get something in return and I hope they take a big ole bite out of the owners asses.