2020 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

You guys may as well trade for Malik Hooker from Indy, sounds like we want to move him.

He would be a good get for the Bears. Problem is he's a free agent at the end of the year (I think) and he's had injury issues. I presume Colts aren't "giving" him away, but if they would take a late day 3 pick I would be interested.  On other thing is Hooker probably isn't the best compliment to Jackson.  My guess is Bears are going to move Denmark to safety and let him and Bush compete for the spot (and maybe they will sign Tony Jefferson)

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

He would be a good get for the Bears. Problem is he's a free agent at the end of the year (I think) and he's had injury issues. I presume Colts aren't "giving" him away, but if they would take a late day 3 pick I would be interested.  On other thing is Hooker probably isn't the best compliment to Jackson.  My guess is Bears are going to move Denmark to safety and let him and Bush compete for the spot (and maybe they will sign Tony Jefferson)

I'd like them to sign Eric Reid. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It would have been nice to take a developmental QB in all of this.  They have their chances.

I still would have signed Winston. He is a better player than Foles with more upside. At his worse he is middle of the pack (kind of like cutler). I get that he didn’t work with Arians but I see Payton might sign him to spend a year with him and see if he can take over for Brees. 

Bears are probably going all in on QB again in the next year. Foles isn’t a long term answer. He is a bridge to see if everything else works ok but Bears would still need to upgrade. Only way they aren’t taking a QB early in next two years is if Mitch steps up in wake of increased competition and so far I haven’t heard any indications that he is crushing it in film study etc. His issue is very much between the ears. 

Said another way...Foles is there to be the bridge guy if Mitch stinks. He can help bears be a mediocre playoff team and that buys Pace and Nagy time to get another shot at a QB. At least that is what I think they are both betting on. If bears make playoffs this year I think people feel better about Nagy and my guess is McCaskeys feel fine about Pace. It likely means a few of the moves this offseason worked too. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think Foles will be servicable to good as long as he can stay healthy. I don't think he's going to play more than 10-11 games. 

Yeah he is serviceable. That isnt exactly a gold standard. It is why I don’t think Mitch is entirely forgotten and Foles is just for sure the guy.  I don’t buy Mitch taking off but I could see him being much better than he was last year (after all he was the year before). Do I think he takes off...probably not but do I think he can be a serviceable qb...yeah I kind of do. I am pretty sure the bears have zero good qbs on roster but Mitch has more physical tools. 

22 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Probably had to do with them on such different timelines. He is just so mellow and enjoying all the downtime and just chilling on the ranch while she is trying to grow her business and traveling all over place for appearances etc. 

There's a rumor going around as far as infidelity but I'm not gonna go there.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah he is serviceable. That isnt exactly a gold standard. It is why I don’t think Mitch is entirely forgotten and Foles is just for sure the guy.  I don’t buy Mitch taking off but I could see him being much better than he was last year (after all he was the year before). Do I think he takes off...probably not but do I think he can be a serviceable qb...yeah I kind of do. I am pretty sure the bears have zero good qbs on roster but Mitch has more physical tools. 

I don't see Mitch being any better than last year, especially when he himself said he's a reps based learner and we have the covid situation going on. 

I think worst case scenario with Foles is that he's serviceable and best case he's above average.Objectively, even Mitch isn't horrible, but he's not good either. 

Mitch hovers around the lower edge of serviceable. If he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder instead of the 2nd pick in the draft people would think differently about him. I think that he has some untapped potential but he has to sit for 2-3 years in the same system as a backup for it to come out. It won't happen here. 

I also think that Foles is going to get kilt behind this offensive line and only play 8-11 games. The 5-8 games that Mitch plays are his audition to stay in the NFL as a backup. 

I'd rather the Bears trade a late round pick for Josh Rosen and have him as a developmental backup than waste any more time on Mitch. Rosen is still only 23. 

Just my opinion, Foles has had his best years outside of his 1st year as a starter under Chip Kelly with Reid tree offenses. He went toe to toe with Brady in a damn Super Bowl with a Reid style offense.  I actually think the offense has more upside with Foles than Mitch. The only reason to keep Mitch on the roster is if you just want to take one last look before waving bye to him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 4/27/2020 at 9:28 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Go to the Covid thread and see the photo of them.  Something looked off in that photo to me. 

I had a feeling something was off when Jay didn't call into W&S and give Silvy his best wishes. They've gotten close through the years and despite what we all think, Jay would've been the first to do so in this situation.