2005 Sox Rewind

flavum

Today’s game is a Sweaty Freddy win against the Indians. They would need those.

Also that night in baseball, Rafael Palmeiro got his 3000th hit, and would seemingly be on his way to Cooperstown. Weeks later, MLB would announce his steroid suspension and his career was over. 

Edited by flavum

Today’s game was finishing off a four game sweep of the Indians after the break. It didn’t seem huge at the time, but then the Indians got hot...real hot. 

The Sox came home, lost 2 of 3 to the Tigers, and Frank Thomas never played for the Sox again. 

3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

If I recall, Hawk losses his shit rather epically. 

Yes he did.

Some other stuff going on in this game in Baltimore...Palmeiro got suspended...he would come back after serving his whopping 10-day suspension, but played his last game at the end of August...Sox traded for Geoff Blum the day before.

Just now, flavum said:

Brian Gorman, although West was on the crew. 
Hawk went off on West when Buehrle threw the glove down in Cleveland. 

Ah,  I thought was the one where West called him for the balk, and then ejected him for essentially being upset about getting called for the balk.

A quick game today 8/6/05, Buehrle vs 42-yr-old Jamie Moyer. Moyer finished his career in 2012. Buehrle turns 42 next March. 

Sunday and Monday are vs the Yankees. Monday’s game is the 4 hr inning off Randy Johnson. This was when the lead on the Indians was slipping away. 

• 2 weeks later...

One week left of regular season games before they show the 12 postseason games.

The 9/20 Crede walkoff vs the Indians will be shown Saturday night. Probably the biggest win of the season. If they lost and the next two days went the same way, the Sox would have been in second place with 10 games left.    Uribe made a play in the 8th inning that could have been a season saver. AJ steps on Aaron Boone scoring from 3rd. It was a classic game. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, flavum said:

One week left of regular season games before they show the 12 postseason games.

The 9/20 Crede walkoff vs the Indians will be shown Saturday night. Probably the biggest win of the season. If they lost and the next two days went the same way, the Sox would have been in second place with 10 games left.    Uribe made a play in the 8th inning that could have been a season saver. AJ steps on Aaron Boone scoring from 3rd. It was a classic game. 

Watching the 9th inning now, anxiously waiting the Crede walkoff.  I am remembering how stressful that late September was!!

35. 2005: White Sox over Astros in four
Series leverage: 56th
Game leverage: 1st

By our series leverage index -- which measures how tight the World Series was -- this ranks just 56th all time. But the games themselves were outrageously good. By our game leverage index, this was the tightest collection of World Series games ever. Every game was either tied or within one run in the eighth inning or later. Every White Sox starter went at least seven innings. Compare that to the seven-game series between the Cubs and Cleveland in 2016, in which no starting pitcher went seven. The White Sox's 11-1 postseason record ended a World Series drought that was two years longer than the Red Sox's had been.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29104085/ranking-every-world-series-mlb-history

On 5/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, wegner said:

Watching the 9th inning now, anxiously waiting the Crede walkoff.  I am remembering how stressful that late September was!!

I thought that happened in the bottom of the 8th and the White Sox were losing.  The reality of that game has now changed.....and I was at the game.  

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I thought that happened in the bottom of the 8th and the White Sox were losing.  The reality of that game has now changed.....and I was at the game.  

What surprised me about that game was when Jenks came in and he only had 4 saves at the time....I remembered that Hermanson was the closer for most of the year but I did not remember that Jenks only had 6 saves in the regular season in 2005...then Hermanson came in to pitch the 10th inning and I had totally forgotten that he had come back from injury to pitch at all late in 2005...but what I do remember not fondly is the dread that the Indians were gonna catch us in the standings ...Wake me up when September ends is what I remember

7 hours ago, wegner said:

What surprised me about that game was when Jenks came in and he only had 4 saves at the time....I remembered that Hermanson was the closer for most of the year but I did not remember that Jenks only had 6 saves in the regular season in 2005...then Hermanson came in to pitch the 10th inning and I had totally forgotten that he had come back from injury to pitch at all late in 2005...but what I do remember not fondly is the dread that the Indians were gonna catch us in the standings ...Wake me up when September ends is what I remember

Prior to that game, we were all panicked, and someone here took a photo of the Angels Rally Monkey and photoshopped Joe Crede’s face on it as the Rally Crede. It was after 9:00 and I was sitting in my office stressed out waiting, literally half this site had the Rally Crede as their avatar already, and bang. Even though we lost the next game, we had our swagger back. We went to Minny, lost game 1, then McCarthy gave us a great performance, and that was Cleveland’s last chance. I think that may have started the 8 game win streak to end the year. The Rally Crede and McCarthy, they pulled us out of it. Many of us had the Rally Crede as our avatars the rest of that offseason. 

And yes, I have this. credehr.wav

• Love 1

16 hours ago, wegner said:

Shingo Takatsu opened the year as the closer to which seems kind of odd to think about.