Sign in to follow this  
palehose1

Luis Aparicio

Little Looie, turns 86 today, the last living starter from the 1959 World Series team. Only a few role players are left like Lou Skizas & J.C. Martin who both had a cup of coffee with the 59 Sox. Luis was the first baseball player I met, along with Pete Ward in the summer of 1969 when they showed up to sign autographs at the store behind my house on the Southwest Side. As a 7 year old that was when I became a White Sox fan for life.

Best of health to you  Luis, one of the Sox (and baseball's) best.

• Like 4

He was a dandy.  Also the subject of two really dumb trades, especially the first one to Baltimore.

JC Martin was my college baseball coach for 1 year.  Just a great southern guy, with some classic lines.  One game against the Univ of South Carolina, we were getting beat badly early on....JC turns To a group of us in the dugout and in a manner only he could say.   “Whooo weeee ...it’s a good thing they paid is be fo the game boys”. 

• Haha 1

Luis has to rank as the best White Sox shortstop during the past 70 years. Smart player. When he aged and lost some of his range, he studied hitters so he knew where he should position himself. Always carried himself as a real pro. 

• Like 1