Harper actually loved his meeting w/ the Sox

soxfan49

11 hours ago, Tony said:

I know you aren't implying this per say, but feels like it needs to be said there is nothing wrong with having that attitude. Make that money. 

While he certainly has the right to do it, I would say there is something wrong with that attitude. Sacrificing happiness for every last cent isn't the way I would choose  to go. I know that is extreme but as an attitude or philosophy I would disagree.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Cashman said:

He visited once, and we never heard anything after that. I wonder.....If Philly and the Sox has some under the table agreement. Sox don't offer Harper anything, and Philly doesn't mess with Machado...

That would have been a horrible approach by both teams. You can't control the other 28 teams decision making, so why attempt to make under the table deals with another team in the same market as you? I'm sure the White Sox didn't anticipate San Diego jumping in the mix last minute, but if the White Sox could have had one of Harper or Machado, they should have simply offered the most guaranteed $$. We saw their offer for Machado, was there even a reported offer for Harper? Seeing how things panned out with Moncada at 3b, a Harper deal actually makes more sense than Machado. I guess hindsight is 20-20, but the thought of having an outfield consisting of Eloy, Harper and Robert makes me gitty. 

Edited by GreatScott82

52 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He wasn't being selfish or greedy.  He set the bar higher for the free agents coming after him.  

Those 2 ideas are not mutually exclusive. He very well could have been both.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I wouldn’t ask, nor expect anyone to sacrifice happiness. With that said, if I would be 95% happy in Chicago and 85% happy in Philly, but making 40 million more with the Phillies, I’m probably heading East. It’s a temporary sacrifice for another generation of Harpers having elite levels of wealth. 

no doubt. Also, need to factor in the difference in the amount of money is 50 million worth the 10% of happiness? That is why they are difficult decisions. The comment about the"attitude" of going for the most money not being wrong was what I was referring to.

Yes, maybe he is selfish and greedy, but I have left places for more money. You can't blame anyone for taking the cash. Most people would. 

The reality is if you paid him $300 million or $330 million, it isn't going to make much difference in his life. It's all money he will never spend, but it is nice to have just in case, and most people if they are able, like to leave things to their heirs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

While he certainly has the right to do it, I would say there is something wrong with that attitude. Sacrificing happiness for every last cent isn't the way I would choose  to go. I know that is extreme but as an attitude or philosophy I would disagree.

more money certainly makes me more happy.

14 minutes ago, Tony said:

I wouldn’t ask, nor expect anyone to sacrifice happiness. With that said, if I would be 95% happy in Chicago and 85% happy in Philly, but making 40 million more with the Phillies, I’m probably heading East. It’s a temporary sacrifice for another generation of Harpers having elite levels of wealth. 

Right. And when you're traveling half the season (which is about a half year) and spending most of your time at the ballpark when you are home anyway, does it really matter which city you are living in? I'd take the most money for sure. Especially when you figure the Phillies offer is likely more significant than what the Sox would potentially have offered (based on their Machado offer).

Adding to the happy anywhere. At the level MLB players are paid, schools for their kids aren't an issue. Safety for the family? Same anywhere. Entertainment? They are working all the time and can go anywhere in the world during the off season. Managers and teammates? Fired or traded. 

Winning? That's the worst case scenario for the fans. Imagine if suddenly ever free agent valued winning over a paycheck. They all sign for less with the same couple of teams. Bad for competition levels across the sport. 

I agree with ptatc. Money isn't everything.

This is an extreme example but if you had the option of making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year working with a drug cartel, vs making 60,000 being, oh idk, a school teacher, which would you choose?

More money doesn't necessarily mean more happiness

Edited by ScooterMcGee

52 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is an extreme example but if you had the option of making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year working with a drug cartel, vs making 60,000 being, oh idk, a school teacher, which would you choose?

Well that is a pretty extreme example considering one scenario is illegal activity lol that's not comparable at all to be honest.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Ok, this comparison is wack for reasons Soxfan outlined.

I can give a personal example. I work for a large journalism outlet. I make a good enough salary.

A Bloomberg PAC came recruiting me - this position would endure even if his campaign suspended. The organization has been around since 2018. Knowing people who have gotten positions within his campaign and PAC, it's an easy $50k (minimum) pay raise. But I decided I'd be happier sticking to journalism.

Before the pandemic hit, there was a good chance I was gonna be made a permanent full time employee where I work. Now hiring has been frozen. I've got 5 weeks to get something figured out. I kind of wish I took the money.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

We wasn't choosing between being a baseball player and being a thief. The equivalent choice is between being a school teacher at this school or that school. He would literally have the same job. Also, while in some cases it's AL versus NL for most players staying in the same league means playing in the same stadiums, staying at the same hotels, and flying on basically the same planes for half the season.

So do you want to take the same job which will have you travelling to the same cities for a few million dollars more? And nothing says we REALLY want you here more than an extra $10,000,000 on the contract or a few extra years. Isn't being wanted by your employer high on most people's lists of things that make them happy? 

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

We wasn't choosing between being a baseball player and being a thief. The equivalent choice is between being a school teacher at this school or that school. He would literally have the same job. Also, while in some cases it's AL versus NL for most players staying in the same league means playing in the same stadiums, staying at the same hotels, and flying on basically the same planes for half the season.

So do you want to take the same job which will have you travelling to the same cities for a few million dollars more? And nothing says we REALLY want you here more than an extra $10,000,000 on the contract or a few extra years. Isn't being wanted by your employer high on most people's lists of things that make them happy? 

For Bryce Harper, beating Giancarlo Stanton's contract was another key part of making him happy.

• Like 2