Spencer Adams

HollywoodTim

I am curious about an update on him.  He was a guy who steadily rose up the MiLB ranks yet his stuff seemed to kind of plateau and then regress as he got to higher levels.  But he's still a young player with a lot of minor league experience and I would bet he's a much better pure pitcher than he ever was before as a consequence of all the development time he has had.  Last I read IIRC he had back surgery, or something like that, back issues and some medical procedures.  I am curious about him and whether his stuff can come back enough to pop back up on the map as a legit 6th starter, as a #5 ceiling guy but a true "extra starter" depth piece.  Are there any updates?

On 5/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, HollywoodTim said:

I am curious about an update on him.  He was a guy who steadily rose up the MiLB ranks yet his stuff seemed to kind of plateau and then regress as he got to higher levels.  But he's still a young player with a lot of minor league experience and I would bet he's a much better pure pitcher than he ever was before as a consequence of all the development time he has had.  Last I read IIRC he had back surgery, or something like that, back issues and some medical procedures.  I am curious about him and whether his stuff can come back enough to pop back up on the map as a legit 6th starter, as a #5 ceiling guy but a true "extra starter" depth piece.  Are there any updates?

Apart from his rookie year.... has he done anything noteworthy apart from being a second round HS pick?

He did rise through the minors up to AAA.  Most players don't get that far. I am just curious about him.  He's been written off, etc., but anyone with back issues is going to have some problems.  I am wondering what he looks like after having his issues dealt with.  I am rooting for him.

Obviously he was hurt last year, but his 108 total innings at Triple-A for his career is not a great showing. I never really understood the fascination with him. His K/9 completely evaporated and the past two seasons he has seen his walks spike. He's still pretty young, but I would be very shocked to see him have any future on the Sox.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Obviously he was hurt last year, but his 108 total innings at Triple-A for his career is not a great showing. I never really understood the fascination with him. His K/9 completely evaporated and the past two seasons he has seen his walks spike. He's still pretty young, but I would be very shocked to see him have any future on the Sox.

Or any team.  He will never make an MLB start, which is fine.  Who expected him to at this point?