Oscar Colas

SoxSteve

1 hour ago, Quin said:

For what it's worth, James outlined a strategy by the Sox to get both of them.

I think his lack of rankings internationally is due to the fact he hasn't been cleared to sign yet, but I am going to guess he would be really close to the top of the list based on his tools.  The kid could be a star as either a hitter or pitcher.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think his lack of rankings internationally is due to the fact he hasn't been cleared to sign yet, but I am going to guess he would be really close to the top of the list based on his tools.  The kid could be a star as either a hitter or pitcher.

He wouldn't become a top 100 prospect though, like I assume Cespedes would right?  I know that list is arbitrary, but sstill.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He wouldn't become a top 100 prospect though, like I assume Cespedes would right?  I know that list is arbitrary, but sstill.

Colas can hit 95 from the left side, AND is a pretty good offensive player putting up plus numbers in a good pro league in Japan at 21.  I think he is in a similar ranking to Cespedes.  Even knowing Cespedes was out there Passan called him one of the best players to emerge from Cuba IN YEARS.  The big question isn't how good is he, it is if he will be able to sign anytime soon.

https://tw

itter.com/JeffPassan/status/1213158209126617093?s=20

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is from February, but Longenhagan hasn't heard good things at least.

12:05

Matt: Where would oscar colas rate by fv from what you’ve heard/seen? And any rumors on who lead(s)?

12:06

Eric A Longenhagen: 35, he’ll be on the list of whoever signs him in the honorable mentions. Had a director comp him to a lot of the DH-only type 4A guys

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-longenhagen-chat-2-21-20/

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Longenhagen also put a 35 FV on Jimmy Lambert and rated Yermin as the #8 prospect in the system.  

I think it is a lot easier to teach body type and work ethic than it is to teach skill.  Put Colas around guys like Robert and Moncada and see how he develops.

Because Colas is a prospect with some ability, I hope we sign him.  We always need more quality prospects.

Also, we should feel pretty good about his chances to play at the AA level immediately, and maybe also play well enough at the AAA level in the same year as his debut.  Most of the players who are going to get these high 6 and small 7 figure bonuses are never going to make it that far anyway.  And think about it, it's about the same cost as dumping the buyouts on Wellington and Nate Jones.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Colas can hit 95 from the left side, AND is a pretty good offensive player putting up plus numbers in a good pro league in Japan at 21.  I think he is in a similar ranking to Cespedes.  Even knowing Cespedes was out there Passan called him one of the best players to emerge from Cuba IN YEARS.  The big question isn't how good is he, it is if he will be able to sign anytime soon.

https://tw

itter.com/JeffPassan/status/1213158209126617093?s=20

I thought the league Colas was playing in was the equivalent to rookie ball? It wasn't Japan's main pro league.. I could be wrong though. 

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I thought the league Colas was playing in was the equivalent to rookie ball? It wasn't Japan's main pro league.. I could be wrong though. 

That's correct, the vast majority of the AB's he took was in their "farm league", although he did apparently get some time with the regular club. Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Do we have a chance with Cespedas? I haven’t seen us mentioned with him but I might have missed it. And when does this all come down as in when can they sign? Thanx 

Yes, we have a chance with both Cespedes and Colas.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s Dayan Viciedo all over again unless he can really pitch effectively as a reliever...which means he’s going to have to improve greatly on his off-speed stuff, as big league hitters will just lay off of it.

What is this even based off of? You watching a couple highlight videos? Come on man.

Viciedo was also supposed to be like Panda Sandoval.  if we got that kind of player for a tiny amount of "use it or lose it" money why complain at all?

Another thing: IIRC Dayan was the guy who would have gotten us Dunn from the Nats instead of Edwin Jackson.  And while hindsight says that was never a good route to travel in, the point is that, if that is true, another MLB GM thought he had more value than Dan Hudson or Edwin Jackson back then.  That could have gotten us a pretty good player in a trade regardless.

Even if Colas turns into a player we can't really use -- like our version of Miguel Andujar, who I personally think blows anyway -- at least we will have something we can trade for value to some team somewhere.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how adding Colas is in any way a bad thing, especially at the amounts listed, and while knowing what we seem to know about our organization, i.e. we will never get the kind of prospect the Yankees just signed because we aren't going to start hanging around the playground soliciting children.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quin said:

He's a chunky Cuban 

That's it.

What position is he going to play?  1B, RF, DH....yes?   Or we’re basing most of our excitement on Passan/Shohei Ohtani comps?

Just not seeing how he’s anything close to fitting in the Robert/Cespedes mold, but very few are...   It means, and we’ve debated the value of Jose Abreu for the past three years, that he’s going to have to be an amazing hitter to bring a ton of surplus value.

I also haven’t seen many scouts claiming he should or could give up pitching to be a starting pitcher like with Ohtani ever since he was in middle school.  I guess part of the attraction is throwing from the LH side, but I guess we’ll find out.