Oscar Colas

SoxSteve

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What position is he going to play?  1B, RF, DH....yes?   Or we’re basing most of our excitement on Passan/Shohei Ohtani comps?

Just not seeing how he’s anything close to fitting in the Robert/Cespedes mold, but very few are...   It means, and we’ve debated the value of Jose Abreu for the past three years, that he’s going to have to be an amazing hitter to bring a ton of surplus value.

I also haven’t seen many scouts claiming he should or could give up pitching to be a starting pitcher like with Ohtani ever since he was in middle school.  I guess part of the attraction is throwing from the LH side, but I guess we’ll find out.  

If he’s Jose Abreu and signed for 64 million less that is a very good outcome. There is a lot of room beneath cespedes and Robert whole still being worth a few mill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What position is he going to play?  1B, RF, DH....yes?   Or we’re basing most of our excitement on Passan/Shohei Ohtani comps?

Just not seeing how he’s anything close to fitting in the Robert/Cespedes mold, but very few are...   It means, and we’ve debated the value of Jose Abreu for the past three years, that he’s going to have to be an amazing hitter to bring a ton of surplus value.

I also haven’t seen many scouts claiming he should or could give up pitching to be a starting pitcher like with Ohtani ever since he was in middle school.  I guess part of the attraction is throwing from the LH side, but I guess we’ll find out.  

LHP / RF right now, which is very different than Viciedo, who came up as a 3B, then transitioned to mostly LF as a right handed bat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quin said:

LHP / RF right now, which is very different than Viciedo, who came up as a 3B, then transitioned to mostly LF as a right handed bat.

I couldn't find much on his pitching stats when I looked the other day. Baseball Reference shows him throwing 3 innings in a Winter League almost 2 years ago and thats it. If he comes over, I don't think he will be a 2-way player.

10 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Wow- He’s lost a ton of weight!!! Looks probably 30 pounds lighter from his videos during the Winter 

For real. Dude got a lot lighter and that speaks to work ethic.

As for his pitching, he's pitched professionally and 2-way players are becoming more of a thing. If you get him, you try it out and see if it falls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I thought Colas wasn’t cleared to sign yet? And would this impact the Sox efforts in trying to get Cespedes?

Not cleared, but could push him to 2021 if they want.  They would just have an agreement now.  We'll see what happens.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/06/10/baseball/japanese-baseball/cuban-ohtani-oscar-colas-wants-deal-softbank-calls-current-contract-invalid/#.XuD1SJ5KjUp

This article is very detailed on the Colas situation. It sounds like he'll definitely be with the Softbanks Hawks for a little bit longer. 

Interesting that he is willing to play in 2020, but wants to be released for 2021. That would line up with getting into next years international class quite nicely.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/06/10/baseball/japanese-baseball/cuban-ohtani-oscar-colas-wants-deal-softbank-calls-current-contract-invalid/#.XuD1SJ5KjUp

This article is very detailed on the Colas situation. It sounds like he'll definitely be with the Softbanks Hawks for a little bit longer. 

So could the Sox get Cespedes during this upcoming signing period and then Colas in the signing period next year? Is that a possibility?

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sounds like it to me. 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

So could the Sox get Cespedes during this upcoming signing period and then Colas in the signing period next year? Is that a possibility?

It's possible, yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Must say, this has been a hell of a season for the White Sox and not even a single game has been played

Not to be a downer but all the lost development time especially for all the injured players who have not had a full season forever really has me concerned.  The draft is great but the FA stuff is kinda meh to me.  We're only going to go as far as our young players will take us.  And I'm really hoping that when baseball comes back we see last year's Giolito, and and the supposedly hard-working Reynaldo with the big offseason comes back and we see improvements.

I'd argue that this COVID crap hurts younger teams a lot more than the older ones.

• Like 1