Sign in to follow this  
SoxSteve

Oscar Colas

49 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What position is he going to play?  1B, RF, DH....yes?   Or we’re basing most of our excitement on Passan/Shohei Ohtani comps?

Just not seeing how he’s anything close to fitting in the Robert/Cespedes mold, but very few are...   It means, and we’ve debated the value of Jose Abreu for the past three years, that he’s going to have to be an amazing hitter to bring a ton of surplus value.

I also haven’t seen many scouts claiming he should or could give up pitching to be a starting pitcher like with Ohtani ever since he was in middle school.  I guess part of the attraction is throwing from the LH side, but I guess we’ll find out.  

If he’s Jose Abreu and signed for 64 million less that is a very good outcome. There is a lot of room beneath cespedes and Robert whole still being worth a few mill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What position is he going to play?  1B, RF, DH....yes?   Or we’re basing most of our excitement on Passan/Shohei Ohtani comps?

Just not seeing how he’s anything close to fitting in the Robert/Cespedes mold, but very few are...   It means, and we’ve debated the value of Jose Abreu for the past three years, that he’s going to have to be an amazing hitter to bring a ton of surplus value.

I also haven’t seen many scouts claiming he should or could give up pitching to be a starting pitcher like with Ohtani ever since he was in middle school.  I guess part of the attraction is throwing from the LH side, but I guess we’ll find out.  

LHP / RF right now, which is very different than Viciedo, who came up as a 3B, then transitioned to mostly LF as a right handed bat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quin said:

LHP / RF right now, which is very different than Viciedo, who came up as a 3B, then transitioned to mostly LF as a right handed bat.

I couldn't find much on his pitching stats when I looked the other day. Baseball Reference shows him throwing 3 innings in a Winter League almost 2 years ago and thats it. If he comes over, I don't think he will be a 2-way player.

11 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Wow- He’s lost a ton of weight!!! Looks probably 30 pounds lighter from his videos during the Winter 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Wow- He’s lost a ton of weight!!! Looks probably 30 pounds lighter from his videos during the Winter 

For real. Dude got a lot lighter and that speaks to work ethic.

As for his pitching, he's pitched professionally and 2-way players are becoming more of a thing. If you get him, you try it out and see if it falls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Were there any drums from the dugout to let him know the off speed stuff was coming?