FS: White Sox release 25 minor leaguers & what it means

Rankin

It sucks but I'm not sure how much good it does as an organization to hold onto players like this when you (a) aren't going to play them this year, (b) aren't going to pay them much of anything, if anything at all, this year, and (c) if you are looking at best case scenario forcing them to compete in the next ST for bench and pen spots in the low minors against perhaps a great number of UDFAs, and especially all the while knowing that the next 2-3 drafts are going to end up being more talent-rich on the front end as a side effect of pushing everybody back for a year.  The 2021 draft crop would be threatening their job slots immediately unless they took huge strides forward, and how likely is that?

I hope a side effect of all of this is that international baseball gets a lot stronger.  I guarantee I hate owners more than anyone else here ever does, but for most of these guys, telling them to move on probably helps them more than hurts them at the moment.  They were on shaky grounds anyway and at least now maybe some of them will move on to other roles that serve their lives better.

• Rankin unpinned this topic