FS: Draft Profile- Jared Kelley RHP Refugio High School (Texas)

Y2Jimmy0

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

This route as in Kelley? Or as in a prep pitcher at this spot?

Both IMO. They were all over Jared Kelley this year and loved him over the summer. Jim Callis mentioned them with Bitsko and Abel as well. I just wouldn't bet on them taking the plunge. These opinions are changing and we're obviously a week away but I think Reid Detmers is the selection if available. If he's not, I think it's a prep hitter but nobody should be surprised by a college hitter with their history. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Both IMO. They were all over Jared Kelley this year and loved him over the summer. Jim Callis mentioned them with Bitsko and Abel as well. I just wouldn't bet on them taking the plunge. These opinions are changing and we're obviously a week away but I think Reid Detmers is the selection if available. If he's not, I think it's a prep hitter but nobody should be surprised by a college hitter with their history. 

Thanks for the insight. While prep selections with the 1st round pick are seemingly more exciting to me because it would be "different", I think I would be okay with an approach similar to last season. Grab the college arm or hitter first and then grab some of the more projectable prep arms/bats with picks 2 and 3. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I must tell you that you are one of the most insightful sports writers i have ever read, keep up the great work and Thank you for all the great info you give us fans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Thanks for the insight. While prep selections with the 1st round pick are seemingly more exciting to me because it would be "different", I think I would be okay with an approach similar to last season. Grab the college arm or hitter first and then grab some of the more projectable prep arms/bats with picks 2 and 3. 

Yeah I'm actually writing something on this currently. I'm not interested in going with a college hitter this year. It usually makes sense and is fairly safe, but I don't like it for lots of reasons at #11 in this class. I love the prep hitters and without a minor league season and what next year looks like very uncertain, I hope they go younger. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I'm actually writing something on this currently. I'm not interested in going with a college hitter this year. It usually makes sense and is fairly safe, but I don't like it for lots of reasons at #11 in this class. I love the prep hitters and without a minor league season and what next year looks like very uncertain, I hope they go younger. 

Same, 100%.

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

I want to let everyone know that in my main OOTP save, I drafted Jared Kelly in the first round of the 2020 draft, and he failed to sign with the Sox. I think drafting this punk is a bad idea. Let’s not make the same mistake twice.

😀

He'd sign this time lol 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...