Claudell Washington died

southsider2k5

It was 'Washington Slept Here" and it was quite hilarious. After Steve Dahl Disco Ducks and maybe a concert or two, RF at old Comiskey in 1979 was like sewer soup and Claudell was not keen to make sudden moves out there, which earned him a few extra boos if it mattered. Whatever hit tools he started with the league caught up and he made a lot of swishing noises. Might have been Oil Can Boyd's understudy in the mental health field.

Sleep well my friend.

4 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

RIP Claudell, IIRC wasnt he the one who was a something like a World class sprinter that Bill Veeck put on roster if nothing else for his speed? maybe not as he as an all star...

You may be thinking of Herb Washington on the 70's A's.

14 hours ago, pcq said:

It was 'Washington Slept Here" and it was quite hilarious. After Steve Dahl Disco Ducks and maybe a concert or two, RF at old Comiskey in 1979 was like sewer soup and Claudell was not keen to make sudden moves out there, which earned him a few extra boos if it mattered. Whatever hit tools he started with the league caught up and he made a lot of swishing noises. Might have been Oil Can Boyd's understudy in the mental health field.

Sleep well my friend.

That's it.  I was a young pup when it happened.

49 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

RIP Claudell, IIRC wasnt he the one who was a something like a World class sprinter that Bill Veeck put on roster if nothing else for his speed? maybe not as he as an all star...

Bee Bee Richard, who was on the Sox until Veeck traded him shortly after buying the team, had a profile similar to that.  No hit, no glove, but blazing speed, and was often used as a pinch runner.

I think Claudell Washington was best known for the ridiculous contract Ted Turner gave him to go to Atlanta.   We was at best a mid level outfielder, and Turner gave him one of the biggest contracts in history at the time.  He gave him a five year contract, and it was said at the time the next best offer was a one year contract at half the annual salary of Turner's 5 year offer.

5 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Bee Bee Richard, who was on the Sox until Veeck traded him shortly after buying the team, had a profile similar to that.  No hit, no glove, but blazing speed, and was often used as a pinch runner.

I think Claudell Washington was best known for the ridiculous contract Ted Turner gave him to go to Atlanta.   We was at best a mid level outfielder, and Turner gave him one of the biggest contracts in history at the time.  He gave him a five year contract, and it was said at the time the next best offer was a one year contract at half the annual salary of Turner's 5 year offer.

Yes I recall Bee Bee from the early 70's, he didnt last too long did he?

On 6/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, southsider2k5 said:

He is one of the very first players I have a memory of at old Comiskey Park.  Mostly because I remember someone bringing a sign to a game that said "Claudell Washington slept here"

That's a blast from the past. Another "unique" player to wear the uniform. RIP