Who's At Fault For No Agreement On The Start Of The Season?

Soxsi75

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yes. After normal business operations it is a loss. As was said previously it would do no good to open books because those with a bias against the owners wont believe it anyway.

Even if you do take the wrong way to look at and say they made 54 million last year, they owners made about 40% of what the players did. I would hardly call that the owners being greedy.

Agree

I "lost" almost $20,000 on my house last year. Yep, I spent about that in mortgage payments. Now let's look at my equity and how much my home's value increased. 

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's because in the MLB they don't until the sell the team. It's much more expensive to run an MLB compared to the NBA or NFL.  I cant say anything about the Bulls because I havent looked into that. My guess is that NBA teams make much more as JR said as much when he reportedly told his kids to keep the Bulls shares but sell the Sox ones dues to the differences on the sports. The fact that his kid is involved in the Bulls front office but not the Sox lends credence to this.

That just isn’t true. Depreciation and amortization is an accounting trick teams use to make a profit look like a loss. Here is an article that explains it better than I can here. But people do not spend billions of dollars on things that aren’t profitable.

https://sabr.org/research/roster-depreciation-allowance-how-major-league-baseball-teams-turn-profits-losses

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's not about feeling sorry for the owners. I don't feel sorry for either side. It's about acknowledging the fact that the owners and the players are both being idiots and they are both the cause of this stalemate.

As I've said in many different posts I am not on the owners side in this. It's just that everyone else is so biased and anti-owner they cannot even contemplate that the players have at least some degree of fault here. This makes me the only person defending the owners view that the players have fault as well and makes it look like I'm against the players.

It's about to let it go because it's not going to change. The owners are evil and the players are saints.

Why do the players have any degree of fault? They signed a contract, a guaranteed contract. Their contract doesnt say they only get paid if they play or not, it doesnt say their salary would go up or down based on attendance. Its a contract that they signed in good faith with the owners.

the owners are breaching that contract. If they truly cant afford to pay their players salaries because theyre not going to bring in enough revenue this year then they can sell the team.  Fuck em. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Why do the players have any degree of fault? They signed a contract, a guaranteed contract. Their contract doesnt say they only get paid if they play or not, it doesnt say their salary would go up or down based on attendance. Its a contract that they signed in good faith with the owners.

the owners are breaching that contract. If they truly cant afford to pay their players salaries because theyre not going to bring in enough revenue this year then they can sell the team.  Fuck em. 

I don't think the contracts are still guaranteed for the 2020 season after the spring training agreement. If the owners choose to cancel the season, and that would understandable given the pandemic, I don't think players are entitled to another cent.

And I thought I heard last night that Dr. Fauchi is recommending baseball end their season in Septmber. They seem more and more confident a second wave will be coming and it will likely be hitting hard in October.