White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

MLB ran side by side clips mirroring his delivery to one Chris Sale.

I hate draft comps in general, but yea. There's some striking similarities.

The fastball and slider look filthy. Can't wait to see how he performs as a starter. Upside is huge here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I hate draft comps in general, but yea. There's some striking similarities.

The fastball and slider look filthy. Can't wait to see how he performs as a starter. Upside is huge here.

I don't care as much about the comp, but the deliveries were almost identical. 

Crochet is one of the bigger wild cards in the class, having missed the first three weekends of the spring for undisclosed reasons, then returning for an unannounced, 3 1/3-inning relief outing that only a few area scouts saw on the final weekend of the spring. Crochet has a huge arm, up to 99 with a grade-70 slider that wipes out left-handed batters, helped by some cross-body action to his delivery, but struggled to get right-handed batters out last year and doesn’t pitch as well to his glove side. He flies off the rubber but gets his arm in good position when his front foot lands, and he has average control if not command. He’s got substantial reliever risk, but also has one of the best pure arms in the draft, and someone will probably take him in the first round in the hopes that he can remain a starter.

Keith Law's writeup on Crochet, he thinks there's significant reliever risk there, but it's all about keeping him healthy. The Sox are really good at that. 

The bolded stands out to me. 

Also, MLB pipeline gave him a 60 grade on his changeup. This guy has stuff to dream on.....

Also, Crochet had the top spin rate of any NCAA Fastball IIRC. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When he signs.

Yeah, pretty dumb way to ask that question on my part. When you go under slot with a guy, there has to be an agreement in place that allows you to go over slot in future rounds, right? Does that stuff not leak?

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, pretty dumb way to ask that question on my part. When you go under slot with a guy, there has to be an agreement in place that allows you to go over slot in future rounds, right? Does that stuff not leak?

Probably not, but we'll have a good idea if he's underslot after our 2nd rounder tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Where does he fit in the top 10 prospect list for the Sox now?

I'd probably put him 4/5

1. Robert

2. Kopech

3. Vaughn

4. Madrigal

5. Dunning

I think he's totally got a better chance to be a bigger MLB contributor than Madrigal as well as much more likely to flame out.

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

They have exchanged numbers by this stage for sure. They have a really good idea what he is signing for and are planning the rest of their picks based on it.

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keith Law's writeup on Crochet, he thinks there's significant reliever risk there, but it's all about keeping him healthy. The Sox are really good at that. 

The bolded stands out to me. 

Also, MLB pipeline gave him a 60 grade on his changeup. This guy has stuff to dream on.....

Also, Crochet had the top spin rate of any NCAA Fastball IIRC. 

The cross body action that makes him effective against lefties is also the motion that put stress on his arm, along with the lack of flexion in his follow through.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The cross body action that makes him effective against lefties is also the motion that put stress on his arm, along with the lack of flexion in his follow through.

The hope is that they can keep him healthy until age 30 like they did with Sale. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The hope is that they can keep him healthy until age 30 like they did with Sale. 

The key will be if they can keep him from max velocity on a regular basis like they did with Sale while he was here. That could be tough as they couldn't do it with Kopech. Harder to do in today's game.

24 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Little disappointed that’s it’s pronounced like the sewing activity.  I thought it was Crotch-it.  This is borderline dealbreaker for me.  

If he could ever learn to pitch to both sides of the plate and ace guys in and out with his fastball then it would be a great name. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed