White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed

southsider2k5

Pipeline has his change as a 60 pitch - better than his slider. But they seem to be an outlier there. Still odd to see one outlet say his change is a plus and another say it’s near non-existent. 

his slider certainly looks good. Haven’t seen his change at all though, myself. 

Edited by Blackout Friday

I Think pipeline is the outlier, law said the change is bad and longenhagen didn't really mention the change.

However I would prefer a plus breaker over a good change with an amateur. Not everyone can learn change up feel but it is possible however learning to spin the ball is hard. If the breaker has no command or a bad axis it can be corrected but if you can't make the ball spin fast at all your breaker will likely always be a "cement mixer" that just hangs up there.

Edited by Dominikk85

50 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I Think pipeline is the outlier, law said the change is bad and longenhagen didn't really mention the change.

However I would prefer a plus breaker over a good change with an amateur. Not everyone can learn change up feel but it is possible however learning to spin the ball is hard. If the breaker has no command or a bad axis it can be corrected but if you can't make the ball spin fast at all your breaker will likely always be a "cement mixer" that just hangs up there.

When you have a 70 fastball and a 70 slider, you don't need to use the changeup all that much in NCAA baseball. The change very well may be a 60 but he doesn't need to use it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 6/10/2020 at 9:56 PM, ptatc said:

The cross body action that makes him effective against lefties is also the motion that put stress on his arm, along with the lack of flexion in his follow through.

It's not really about the arm slot/delivery. It's about the position of the elbow. That upside down W is what's stressful. I have no idea if he has that. Maybe he does. 

7 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

So he got full slot value, right? This means he probably really was 11th on the sox board and they didn't want to save money.

When looking at the board it probably makes sense, the better players really all went top 10 unless you like abel or howard more.

If both were there they were taking Crochet over Detmers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Extremely surprising he got full slot... still love our draft (since we got Kelley AND Crochet).. But man, give me many others at slot/under.

In a five round draft, nah. Take your two big swings. Horn is wild card.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Howard got less than crochet (3.7m) so I guess the sox simply liked crochet more. Also maybe timeline played a little role as howard probably isn't ready until 2024. Kelley will take time too but he has a mature body and maybe could be up a little faster.

The other factor is that Giolito and Kopech are free after 2023 and 2024 respectively so they have to find some TOR talent that's ready by then. 

• Heads22 changed the title to White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed
On 6/10/2020 at 9:46 PM, Heads22 said:

I'd probably put him 4/5

1. Robert

2. Kopech

3. Vaughn

4. Madrigal

5. Dunning

I think he's totally got a better chance to be a bigger MLB contributor than Madrigal as well as much more likely to flame out.

Madrigal will be "THE MAN".☺️

1 hour ago, Tony said:

These same arguments have been made about Eloy, Moncada, ect. 

Pitching is a different animal, but the Sox have done a pretty good job of locking up their own if they believe their talent plays on an MLB level. 

Idk how possible that's going to be after the economic hit to baseball from covid+ already committed dollars. The good news is that Keuchel and Grandal come off in 2023. The bad news is that we don't know what Moncada/Eloy/Robert's contracts will look like in comparison to market value after the economic hit. 

A lot depends on if JR is still alive and with it or not. If there is new ownership by then, all bets are off. Jerry is 84 years old. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Which means we have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen because there are about 900 variables at play, so thinking that Giolito and or Kopech leave as they can’t be re-signed is not something that really needs to be worried about right now. 

fair enough...

On 6/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That is a really interesting picture. He's on-line and not across his body.

He drops his arm down during the acceleration phase so he has to finish crossing his body. 

That really doesn't bother me as much as the lack of flexion of his trunk during the follow through as that puts all the stress on the shoulder to decelerate the arm.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He drops his arm down during the acceleration phase so he has to finish crossing his body. 

That really doesn't bother me as much as the lack of flexion of his trunk during the follow through as that puts all the stress on the shoulder to decelerate the arm.

He's being compared to Chris Sale.  Sale lands across his body.  Crochet lands on line.  That was the point.

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's being compared to Chris Sale.  Sale lands across his body.  Crochet lands on line.  That was the point.

Gotcha. Sale does land a little more closed than crochet.