White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keith Law's writeup on Crochet, he thinks there's significant reliever risk there, but it's all about keeping him healthy. The Sox are really good at that

The bolded stands out to me. 

Also, MLB pipeline gave him a 60 grade on his changeup. This guy has stuff to dream on.....

Also, Crochet had the top spin rate of any NCAA Fastball IIRC. 

We really can't really claim this anymore. 

Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Lambert, Burdi, Schryver, Burr, Jones are all guys that needed TJ within the last few years. Stiever and Hansen have had some arm issues as well.

Crochet has nasty stuff but he is a very risky pick. The comparison to Sale is nice, but that's a generational HOF talent. Expectations should be lowered to give the kid a chance. If they can add Kelley, I'll like this pick a lot more.

• Like 3

Zach Burdi -quick to the majors, just like Sale

Carson Fulmer - the White Sox have been great at dealing with awkward deliveries; they'll fix him.
Tyler Danish - low arm slot; a right handed Sale. White Sox know how to deal with low arm slot pitchers.

The reality is that the Sox haven't been very good at all at developing pitchers. 

Not surprised by this pick.  This is what Hahn does.

Burdi was never a SP candidate.

Fulmer was undersized, a small guy who had obviously in hindsight already topped out.  

Really, what were the Sox going to "develop" about either one of those guys?  It would be more fair to point to Alec Hansen and say they haven't developed him, but I also think it's fair to say he has a case of the mini-yips or something like that.  He's a headcase apparently and I'm not sure any team could straighten him out.  I think with his stuff, if there was any team that thought they could, they'd have taken him in the Rule-5 and taken the hit on return cost just to work with him in ST.  But Fulmer and Burdi are bad "development" cases to pick at IMO.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Carson Fulmer - the White Sox have been great at dealing with awkward deliveries; they'll fix him.
Tyler Danish - low arm slot; a right handed Sale. White Sox know how to deal with low arm slot pitchers.

LOL what?! I have NEVER seen or heard of that comparison. 

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The reality is that the Sox haven't been very good at all at developing pitchers. 

Reality is they've actually been good at developing pitching when compared to the league.

This pick is fine - I'd like more production. The Sale comps ring hollow given how dominant Sale was in college as well.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

All of those are reaches for a Sale comparison.

Tyler Danish was a really interesting pick back in the day.  I read somewhere that he was the fastest guy to home plate as far as delivery.  When he was drafted I think you could have legitimately hoped for a good version of Justin Masterson, but he never took those next steps.  But there was never Sale-like stuff.  He was always a sinkerballer / changeup guy.

9 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Burdi was never a SP candidate.

Fulmer was undersized, a small guy who had obviously in hindsight already topped out.  

Really, what were the Sox going to "develop" about either one of those guys?  It would be more fair to point to Alec Hansen and say they haven't developed him, but I also think it's fair to say he has a case of the mini-yips or something like that.  He's a headcase apparently and I'm not sure any team could straighten him out.  I think with his stuff, if there was any team that thought they could, they'd have taken him in the Rule-5 and taken the hit on return cost just to work with him in ST.  But Fulmer and Burdi are bad "development" cases to pick at IMO.

The Sox actually did straighten Hansen out, but clearly there is a mental aspect causing him to revert back to form.  I think the Sox did about as well as they could with him.

Burdi should've been up as soon as they drafted him, there's no point in drafting a reliever in the first round if you're going to let him stay in the minors. I think he was ML ready on draft day, having him in the minors was just a waste of his arm.

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Danish thing is fantasy.

19 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Carlos Rodon was sitting there in your lap (lefty with an overpowering slider, but this would have been a reach) and you picked nothing but right handers that have never been compared with Chris Sale until this post of yours.

@HollywoodTim is right. Hansen would have been a better pick, tall dude with electric stuff, but his issues are clearly mental.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Little disappointed that’s it’s pronounced like the sewing activity.  I thought it was Crotch-it.  This is borderline dealbreaker for me.  

Crochet means they can sell some sweet crocheted White Sox blankets with his name and jersey number on it.

Crotch-it would result in ... jockstraps at best.

• Like 1

BA's instant analysis of the pick below. Sounds damn good to me.

11. White Sox
Pick: Garrett Crochet
School: Tennessee
Position: LHP

Instant Analysis: The upside here is obvious: 6-foot-6, lefthanded, reaches 100 mph and finishes hitters with a plus slider. Once he signs, Crochet immediately is in the conversation for the best pure stuff of any lefthanded pitcher in the minors. It's a high-risk, high-reward play though, as Crochet doesn't have the same extensive track record as the other college pitchers going in the first round.

Scouting Report: A 6-foot-6, 218-pound southpaw with a fastball that is regularly in the 96-100 mph range as well as a plus breaking ball, Crochet could have the best overall stuff in the class and he certainly has the best stuff of any lefthander. The abbreviated 2020 season hurts Crochet, who doesn’t have the track record of starting that many of the college arms around him do. For this reason, some scouts have compared him to Duke lefthander Graeme Stinson from the 2019 draft class, though Crochet has more starts under his belt at this time than Stinson did entering his junior season. Crochet split time as a starter and reliever during his freshman and sophomore seasons before entering his junior season with a full-time starting role. That was delayed, reportedly due to shoulder soreness, and Crochet made just one start against Wright State—when he threw 3.1 innings with six strikeouts—before the season ended. His stuff looked as loud as ever in that outing, with a fastball that sat between 93-98 mph range and touched 99, as well as a plus slider and above-average changeup. Crochet routinely creates uncomfortable at-bats against hitters, particularly lefties, with his length and the angle he creates in his delivery. His fastball explodes out of his hand and is a plus-plus pitch at the moment, giving him an elite two-pitch mix that gives him the fallback of a relief ace if starting doesn’t work out. His secondary offerings have been inconsistent in the past, but both have flashed above-average potential frequently enough to project that in the future. There aren’t any glaring reasons why Crochet couldn’t start, and his strike-throwing with Tennessee has been fine (3.37 walks per nine for his career), but teams are wary of the relative lack of track record in that role. If a team is willing to take a risk, Crochet’s pure stuff fits at the absolute top of the draft and while there’s a good deal of variance in his current profile, it’s difficult to find this stuff and size from a lefthander.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

BA's instant analysis of the pick below. Sounds damn good to me.

A lot to like about that write-up. This is an exciting pick. The upside is tantalizing and fits in with our contention window.

Between Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Crochet, Lopez, Dunning, and Stiever the Sox have a young, competitive group of starting pitchers for the next several seasons. It's nice to add a lefty to that mix as well.

1 hour ago, HollywoodTim said:

Tyler Danish was a really interesting pick back in the day.  I read somewhere that he was the fastest guy to home plate as far as delivery.  When he was drafted I think you could have legitimately hoped for a good version of Justin Masterson, but he never took those next steps.  But there was never Sale-like stuff.  He was always a sinkerballer / changeup guy.

…...who was afraid to put the ball over the plate.  Not that I saw a lot of him, but what I did see, that was his problem.  He had a huge break on his two seamer, but made sure it was out of strike zone, hence a few walks and a high ERA.  

20 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Haha Rodon was cringing on his twitch with Sox fans saying this kid is the next Sale. 

My dad immediately brought up how the only thing he knew was ESPN and MLB comping Sale.

I feel a little bad for Crochet.

11 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I'd probably put him 4/5

1. Robert

2. Kopech

3. Vaughn

4. Madrigal

5. Dunning

I think he's totally got a better chance to be a bigger MLB contributor than Madrigal as well as much more likely to flame out.

There is just no way he is top 4 at this time.. Madrigal most would agree is a top 100, Crochet is not, which is fine, he was drafted 11 with high upside.

1. Robert

2. Kopech

3. Vaughn (could flop 2 and 3)

4. Madrigal

5. Kelley (SPOILER) lol

6. Crochet

7. Dunning (Could flop 6 and 7)

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

• Heads22 changed the title to White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed