White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed

southsider2k5

Nobody is comparing Crochet to Chris Sale, the MLB pitcher on a HOF trajectory. 

They are comparing Crochet to Chris Sale, the 21 year old prospect from FGCU. 

I think people misuse MLB comps way too much. They're not comparing these kids to fully developed MLB players , but MLB players as prospects at the time they were drafted. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nobody is comparing Crochet to Chris Sale, the MLB pitcher on a HOF trajectory. 

They are comparing Crochet to Chris Sale, the 21 year old prospect from FGCU. 

I think people misuse MLB comps way too much. They're not comparing these kids to fully developed MLB players , but MLB players as prospects at the time they were drafted. 

Fans just don't understand how comps work.  It's not a statistical comparison.  They're not saying this guy is going to have the same exact career as this guy.  It's a comparison of his tools and talent level.  His body looks like him, he hits like him, he throws like him, etc.  They're saying if everything comes together this is who he can be.  Baseball people understand it's very rare for everything to come together because baseball is a really really hard game to play and a lot of shit happens along the way to making it to the big leagues and staying there.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Fans just don't understand how comps work.  It's not a statistical comparison.  They're not saying this guy is going to have the same exact career as this guy.  It's a comparison of his tools and talent level.  His body looks like him, he hits like him, he throws like him, etc.  They're saying if everything comes together this is who he can be.  Baseball people understand it's very rare for everything to come together because baseball is a really really hard game to play and a lot of shit happens along the way to making it to the big leagues and staying there.  

It's not going to be the final detail, but I would bet you that somewhere along the line in the team's  discussions "we were able to keep Sale healthy with this throwing program and if that works for this kid, he's more valuable to us than to most other teams" came up.

This is a pretty big gamble for the Sox.  The kids track record is pretty minimal.  He added a lot very recently, and hasn't had much time to show it off.  This is the kind of kid that could have been a top 3 pick with a 2020 season, or he could have fallen into the middle rounds if he reverted back to his freshman and sophomore seasons.

I would be curious, if the Sox didn't pick him, where would Crochet have been picked?

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a pretty big gamble for the Sox.  The kids track record is pretty minimal.  He added a lot very recently, and hasn't had much time to show it off.  This is the kind of kid that could have been a top 3 pick with a 2020 season, or he could have fallen into the middle rounds if he reverted back to his freshman and sophomore seasons.

I would be curious, if the Sox didn't pick him, where would Crochet have been picked?

Given what they wound up doing...the Giants.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Jeez Coop, show a little confidence in the kid...

So those are the 2 choices ? Either compare him to Sale or say he's not Sale to protect the kid from unfair and often misconstrued comparisons and it becomes showing no confidence in the kid ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So those are the 2 choices ? Either compare him to Sale or say he's not Sale to protect the kid from unfair and often misconstrued comparisons and it becomes showing no confidence in the kid ?

Yes, they are. Quite frankly I'm tired of Coop's shit attitude. Give the kid his due and say he will be Chris Sale. Show a little confidence in him damnit. He clearly looks up to Chris.

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Yes, they are. Quite frankly I'm tired of Coop's shit attitude. Give the kid his due and say he will be Chris Sale. Show a little confidence in him damnit. He clearly looks up to Chris.

Not sure if you're being facetious or flippant but you can say good things about him without comparing him to Sale even if there are a few similarities between them. I'm sure Coop was a part of the process that resulted in the Sox taking him. Taking one quote from Cooper where he is trying to take pressure off the kid from those comparison doesn't strike me as a shit attitude.  I'm sure he has many good things to say about Crochet. It seems pretty odd to form an opinion based on that quote which leads me to believe you are just being facetious about it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 6/18/2020 at 6:49 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Man he holds that ball hidden for a long time in his windup.  He's going to slay lefties for his career let's just hope it's as a long time starter and not closer.

There is no question he is going go kill lefties with his slider but law said he struggled with righties because he has no credible third pitch.

Law suggested maybe developing a cutter/slider hybrid to combat righties at least once or twice through the lineup which could be easier than developing feel for a change up.

Still of course to be a full starter as a lefty he should at least try to develop a change up (straight 12 6 curve would work too but at his arm slot this is likely going to be a slurve which is not effective against righties at all).

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

There is no question he is going go kill lefties with his slider but law said he struggled with righties because he has no credible third pitch.

Law suggested maybe developing a cutter/slider hybrid to combat righties at least once or twice through the lineup which could be easier than developing feel for a change up.

Still of course to be a full starter as a lefty he should at least try to develop a change up (straight 12 6 curve would work too but at his arm slot this is likely going to be a slurve which is not effective against righties at all).

Thought he already has a plus change 

• Heads22 changed the title to White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed