White Sox select LHP Garrett Crochet at #11, also, he signed

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't wanna start his clock for a 60 game season... PLUS, it isn't like he has much of a proven track record against college bats.. Why do we assume he's ready against the best?

I see your point but I really want them to go all in this season....my nephew bought me a White Sox win the 2020 World Series betting slip last Christmas and I'm Greedy!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't wanna start his clock for a 60 game season... PLUS, it isn't like he has much of a proven track record against college bats.. Why do we assume he's ready against the best?

A season is a season. If he gets some IP in, what does it matter?

I think crochet could get mlb lefties out right now but against righties his third pitch and command would need more work.

I think you can't use a loogy anymore (does the 3 batter rule apply already this year?) but you could bring him in to face two lefties sandwiching a righty batter.

The question is whether you want to bring him up and start his clock for such a specialized role.

Edited by Dominikk85

8 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think crochet could get mlb lefties out right now but against righties his third pitch and command would need more work.

I think you can't use a loogy anymore (does the 3 batter rule apply already this year?) but you could bring him in to face two lefties sandwiching a righty batter.

The question is whether you want to bring him up and start his clock for such a specialized role.

It's helpful to Crochet that the Sox need more quality left handed relievers for this season at least. If he is impressive in the taxi squad , if Rodon doesn't impress where ever he is used and Bummer and Fry falter he may well be the next best LH option in the pen. He can still be a starter down the road.

I like the idea but Sale was basically tempting fate everytime he pitched. Glad someone else gave him that monster deal.

It's always this guy defies the norm until he well doesn't and blows out his arm like Sale and Linescum have. I don't have any problem using Crochet control years up and if he wants to use that violent delivery let him but for the sake of his own career he should work on making his delivery more standard and removing the strain he is putting on his elbow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I like the idea but Sale was basically tempting fate everytime he pitched. Glad someone else gave him that monster deal.

It's always this guy defies the norm until he well doesn't and blows out his arm like Sale and Linescum have. I don't have any problem using Crochet control years up and if he wants to use that violent delivery let him but for the sake of his own career he should work on making his delivery more standard and removing the strain he is putting on his elbow.

Most delivery changes with adult players go wrong though. You can make a small change like shortening up the arm a little or change the stride but changing the arm slot is risky because the muscles have been used to this path for decades and changing it can cause injury and performance loss.

I'm not saying it cant work (I think Halladay did a successful slot change) but I have not heard of many successful changes but of quite a few ones that went wrong.