2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

Just now, Soxbadger said:

I have to think that both picks will sign if the money is close to what they were looking for. With all of the uncertainty in the world cash is king. 

They also have less leverage this year, a lot more to lose, and they were just drafted by an org that has an abundance of pitching (they don't have to be rushed) and which has a reputation for developing pitchers.  Really there isn't a lot of incentive for either of these guys to negotiate their way out of this situation IMO.

4 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

MLB Pipeline had Crochet at 18th on their list at 3.48 M slot, and the Sox took him 11 at 4.55 M slot, so if Crochet agreed to slot for 18th overall then we have 1.07M to add to 47th slot which is 1.58M plus the penalty max.  So that's 2.65M + max penalty perhaps right there for Kelly.  We will see what they do in the 3rd round (0.733M slot).  We really shouldn't have to give up the 4th and 5th rounders for this IMO.

1 minute ago, HollywoodTim said:

They also have less leverage this year, a lot more to lose, and they were just drafted by an org that has an abundance of pitching (they don't have to be rushed) and which has a reputation for developing pitchers.  Really there isn't a lot of incentive for either of these guys to negotiate their way out of this situation IMO.

If I had to guess id say Crochet takes about $3.1- $3.2mil and Kelly takes $3mil

Crochet is in college, who knows what happens next year. No way can you turn down $3mil over $200k-$500k. Kelly has more leverage because likely in 2-3 years things are back to normal and he is younger. I think that Crochet has to get more than Kelly but it wont be that much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I think Tink is the last dude that I really want. But probably not affordable with the Kelley selection.

yeah, but at least for me this underestimates how I can suddenly feel very very strongly about a player after reading a paragraph about them.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the draft is over for the Sox though, right? These two will take up pretty much all of their pool in regards to signing anyone else of real sneaky talent. Doesn't mean they can't find someone seniors and etc.

Great draft, but sometimes I do prefer quantity - especially with the risk of SP's. That said, these two guys have great builds and upsides and could be exciting. Role the dice enough and things will come up how you hope.

I don't believe so

Just now, Soxbadger said:

If I had to guess id say Crochet takes about $3.1- $3.2mil and Kelly takes $3mil

Crochet is in college, who knows what happens next year. No way can you turn down $3mil over $200k-$500k. Kelly has more leverage because likely in 2-3 years things are back to normal and he is younger. I think that Crochet has to get more than Kelly but it wont be that much. 

Yeah, I think the Sox draft is pretty much over in regards to super high upside young talent. It's seniors the rest of the way, or juniors they're praying are concerned about having a packed draft next year. I'd say seniors though.

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't believe so

Kelley was never going to be a cheap sign. He had first 15 money all over him in this draft. Gotta believe that sox aren't getting a discount really at 11 either. Sox are going to be spending, I'm guessing,

4.2 and 3.5 on the top 2 picks. that's 7.7 which is there pool. At best, maybe 4.2 and 3, and they have .5 left. Nothing. I think Sox worked it out to fit those two under pool, and rest of the way is a punt. Those guys both could argue top 15 money which is the entire pool

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kelley was never going to be a cheap sign. He had first 15 money all over him in this draft. Gotta believe that sox aren't getting a discount really at 11 either.

I bet they both come in at 3 mil

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I would disagree in general about a HS pitcher who just got the chance to be a multimillionaire turning down out of leverage unless he's like Al Leiter's kid or something.  Most people in this country have no idea whatsoever what it is like to see that kind of money, especially a kid.  I think he's crazy not to sign unless his family is rich.

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I bet they both come in at 3 mil

No chance imo. I'm guessing Sox have spent 7.5 million min of their 7.7. They have nothing left. This is a two man draft + seniors.

11th slot is 4.57; Sox could MAYBE push him back to 15-16 money at 3.7. Then their 2nd round pick wanted top tier money, and was as high as 10 on some boards. In the second, if you gave him top 15 money he'd probably forego school. Maybe top 20. That's another 3.25 min.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1