2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm in between here. I think they could have taken a different HS SP with upside that didn't require them to punt more than their 3rd rounder. 

Unless they are planning a grand finale in the 5th round, I really do not believe they are in a position of weakness with either of those guys.  I think they have definitely over-punted if they punt the 5th.  If they take somebody good there, different story.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

So yeah I’m sure the Sox and crochet talked some numbers so just trying to hardball him after that isn’t something we should encourage.

I guarantee they have a very good sense of what Crotchet will cost.  Might be more than what we think, but it shouldn’t be a surprise to the Sox.

Guys...they know exactly how much Crochet and Kelley cost. They had a predraft deal with Kelley (somewhere in $3 million range) and they know exactly how much Crochet is getting. I thought it would be underslot but it's likely the full number after seeing rounds 3-4. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So yeah I’m sure the Sox and crochet talked some numbers so just trying to hardball him after that isn’t something we should encourage.

The Sox wouldn't say a figure and go lower.  But they could have stated a range and they could stick closer to the lower end of the range.  The questionmarks on Crochet really puts him in this position anyway.  If he pitches and looks great and is dominate, there is no way he falls to the Sox.  If he looks bad or is hurt etc. he falls quite a bit.  

I just personally have the idea in my head of Crochet's agent and the Sox having multiple conversations and agreeing on an underslot number, in large part because both sides think they are at Crochet's high point and also both sides like the fit a lot.  But if they went like 4 million on him I think they overplayed their hand.  And if its something like the Sox are prepared to go to 3.8 and then Crochet wants to push it to 4, take a legit guy at 5 and play hardball.

40 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Give me Abel and 4 guys with a pulse over what the White Sox are doing.

I too liked Abel more than Crochet... but one thing I will say is that Crochet being older bumps up his arrival estimate a great deal compared to a high school senior like Mick.

Considering some in our draft room also were on team Abel, the above was probably one of a few contributors that swayed the pick toward Garrett.

Edited by hi8is

Just now, HollywoodTim said:

The Sox wouldn't say a figure and go lower.  But they could have stated a range and they could stick closer to the lower end of the range.  The questionmarks on Crochet really puts him in this position anyway.  If he pitches and looks great and is dominate, there is no way he falls to the Sox.  If he looks bad or is hurt etc. he falls quite a bit.  

I just personally have the idea in my head of Crochet's agent and the Sox having multiple conversations and agreeing on an underslot number, in large part because both sides think they are at Crochet's high point and also both sides like the fit a lot.  But if they went like 4 million on him I think they overplayed their hand.  And if its something like the Sox are prepared to go to 3.8 and then Crochet wants to push it to 4, take a legit guy at 5 and play hardball.

If they took him at 11, they have an agreement already. I heard from multiple people yesterday afternoon that the deal was done. I didn't believe it because I had conflicting info about Abel and I thought the Sox planted it for whatever reason. That's not true. The scouting department really wanted Garrett Crochet. They think he's a stud. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If they took him at 11, they have an agreement already. I heard from multiple people yesterday afternoon that the deal was done. I didn't believe it because I had conflicting info about Abel and I thought the Sox planted it for whatever reason. That's not true. The scouting department really wanted Garrett Crochet. They think he's a stud. 

if the sox selected abel would able to get kelly

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guarantee they have a very good sense of what Crotchet will cost.  Might be more than what we think, but it shouldn’t be a surprise to the Sox.

To venture a guess, Crochet will sign for $500K-$750K below slot but Kelley will require well over slot and possibly at or very near Crotchet. If WS intended to pay full slot at 11, Abel  would/should have been choice. Guessing between the two of them we are @ $7M ish.

3 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

I agree with all of this. It just seemed like people were getting mad at crochet for suddenly my taking a bigger discount so they could have a more fun draft.

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is insane. He's a top 20 player in the class. 

I get the strategy in a 5 round draft, don't get me wrong.......I'm a bit concerned about Kelley backing up in the pros. If there wasn't that concern, I don't think he'd have been there at 47. 

3 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

Well I hope they don't have to punt the 5th too.  I will just say that I think they overplayed their hand.  They are paying too much.  I would still rather go this strategy however than take a lesser player so whatever.

You're really not understanding this process.  The deal is agreed to before the pick is made.  There is no hardball or negotiating after the pick.  It's already agreed to and done.  

• Like 2

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You're really not understanding this process.  The deal is agreed to before the pick is made.  There is no hardball or negotiating after the pick.  It's already agreed to and done.  

But will they sign?????   Worst thing about the draft is people not realizing these organizations aren’t as dumb as they think.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are you concerned about?

HS SP are known to have their stuff deteriorate when going from starting once a week to every 5 days. A guy with a body and "now" stuff like Kelley is more likely to have that happen to him. 

That's why I said that I like him, but not that much. If his stuff backs up at all it's likely that it is what it is at that point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How did they overplay their hand?

If Y2J is correct and we're also punting the 5th, then I think they agreed to a deal to pay him more than they really had to, which cost them a prospect.  But of course if it is true, the prospect lost is unlikely a real difference maker so I'm over it.  I'd much rather reel in the 2 big fish anyway.