2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I get the strategy in a 5 round draft, don't get me wrong.......I'm a bit concerned about Kelley backing up in the pros. If there wasn't that concern, I don't think he'd have been there at 47. 

He wasn't really the 47th pick though. He's getting over $3 million. Stack up bonuses and that's where he should have gone. He's a top 20 player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You're really not understanding this process.  The deal is agreed to before the pick is made.  There is no hardball or negotiating after the pick.  It's already agreed to and done.  

I just listened to some podcast clip awhile ago with the guy who took Trout, and they didn't "agree" to slot until later on.  The agent wanted more, the Angels took someone ahead of Trout to lower the slot value to counteract the agent's demand, and Trout's team held out until his Dad agreed on slot.  I doubt that's the only time in history that has happened.  Maybe the Sox don't do it that way but if so then I don't know that.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He wasn't really the 47th pick though. He's getting over $3 million. Stack up bonuses and that's where he should have gone. He's a top 20 player. 

Ok,  why didn't he go in the first round then? Not trying to be a smart ass, just asking. You know more than I do on this. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

HS SP are known to have their stuff deteriorate when going from starting once a week to every 5 days. A guy with a body and "now" stuff like Kelley is more likely to have that happen to him. 

Let’s not overreact to the “now” body type craze.  I get the track record isn’t great for HS pitchers without a lot of physical projection left, but the reality is we didn’t take him with a top five pick like say the Marlins did with Kolek.  We took him at a very reasonable spot and the upside is still tantalizing even without much physical projection.

7 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

If Y2J is correct and we're also punting the 5th, then I think they agreed to a deal to pay him more than they really had to, which cost them a prospect.  But of course if it is true, the prospect lost is unlikely a real difference maker so I'm over it.  I'd much rather reel in the 2 big fish anyway.

I think the reality is if the Sox pay Crotchet full slot then they felt he was a top 11 player in the draft and more than likely other clubs did at well.  And that’s a good thing IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok,  why didn't he go in the first round then? Not trying to be a smart ass, just asking. You know more than I do on this. 

He didn't go in the first round because he had a deal with the White Sox yesterday morning. This was always happening. I don't know the number but its' at least $3 million. Any other team that had interest, needed to beat whatever number the White Sox guaranteed or he told teams he had a deal and wasn't signing. That's how this works. Nobody else would take him without a deal agreed upon. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

I just listened to some podcast clip awhile ago with the guy who took Trout, and they didn't "agree" to slot until later on.  The agent wanted more, the Angels took someone ahead of Trout to lower the slot value to counteract the agent's demand, and Trout's team held out until his Dad agreed on slot.  I doubt that's the only time in history that has happened.  Maybe the Sox don't do it that way but if so then I don't know that.

That was before they instituted the slotting syestem.

4 minutes ago, HollywoodTim said:

When Trout was drafted, you didn't lose picks for going over your allotment.  It's a different world now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Honest question tho - why didn’t anyone else do this? And how did the Sox know he’s fall to 37? It’s not like Kelly can reject being drafted by someone else.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Honest question tho - why didn’t anyone else do this? And how did the Sox know he’s fall to 37? It’s not like Kelly can reject being drafted by someone else.

Nobody else would take him without him agreeing to a deal prior. That's not how it works. Anyone who was taken with a pick is signing with the club that picked them. Teams have deals arranged before drafting players. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because if he doesn't get what he wants he goes to college.  You don't risk it with high picks on hs kids.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He didn't go in the first round because he had a deal with the White Sox yesterday morning. This was always happening. I don't know the number but its' at least $3 million. Any other team that had interest, needed to beat whatever number the White Sox guaranteed or he told teams he had a deal and wasn't signing. That's how this works. Nobody else would take him without a deal agreed upon. 

Yea, just watch this and tell me they all didn’t know what was going down.

Even his, “I got a little worried yesterday” comment seems almost planted. Looks like he knew he was going to be selected by our team.

• Like 4

Just now, hi8is said:

Even his, “I got a little worried yesterday” comment seems almost planted. Looks like he knew he was going to be selected by our team.

Hahn saying that hat looks “fresh” is absolutely cringe worthy.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn saying that hat looks “fresh” is absolutely cringe worthy.

“You’re a big part of our future, thank you for everything.”

”We’re very gracious to have the opportunity to select you today.“

• Like 2

If one of these 5 pans out, it’s a good draft. If 2 do, it’s tremendous. When is the last time the Sox had 2 guys that ultimately weren’t easily replaceable in the same draft?

I get they kill their odds the last 3 rounds, but they picked  their  BPA in round 2, and seemingly had their plan in place to get their guys. You have to give them credit for that. If they work out, great. If they bust, that’s on them. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I don’t understand some of the issue here. If you hit on both picks thats 40 percent of your eligible draft selections. I would say that’s a pretty damn good job if it works out...

Exactly what I was thinking

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Random question, but is it possible that Kelley, Thompson, Dalquist, & Vera could all be in the same rotation next year?

Hopefully all in KAN at some point next year, would love to see them all

Hopefully all stay healthy

15 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Haha kid got clocked at 105 and has 0 idea where it's going.

Still insane, wow

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

So cringey, but the hat all but confirms what was going down

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nobody else would take him without him agreeing to a deal prior. That's not how it works. Anyone who was taken with a pick is signing with the club that picked them. Teams have deals arranged before drafting players. 

This makes me feel like a little kid and you're telling me pro wrestling is scripted :(

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t they have lost the slot money for this year?

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Exactly what I was thinking

Hopefully all in KAN at some point next year, would love to see them all

Hopefully all stay healthy

Still insane, wow

So cringey, but the hat all but confirms what was going down

Most had hats. But it is pretty obvious they had a plan.