2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honest question tho - why didn’t anyone else do this? And how did the Sox know he’s fall to 37? It’s not like Kelly can reject being drafted by someone else.

Guessing there is a fine line between collusion and gamesmanship. I don't know how the communications flow but it could be his commitment to Texas combined with perception he would be a difficult sign and maybe WS sending signals they would meet his demands (could be WS valued him above other teams) all converged.

I like kelley, he is a top 20-25 talent but is it worth to completely punt 3 picks AND not get BPA at 11 to get him?

Sure if both crochet and kelley both work out it was a good draft but let one get injured and that draft could quickly become very bad.

I'm not saying it has to go wrong but basically sacrificing at 4 picks and 3 of them completely is a big price to get kelley. I would have wanted a top15 talent at your second pick (Howard or abel) to sacrifice that much. Don't get me wrong kelley is good but imo not good enough to basically punt the whole draft to get him, for that I would want an absolute elite talent.

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I like kelley, he is a top 20-25 talent but is it worth to completely punt 3 picks AND not get BPA at 11 to get him?

Sure if both crochet and kelley both work out it was a good draft but let one get injured and that draft could quickly become very bad.

I'm not saying it has to go wrong but basically sacrificing at 4 picks and 3 of them completely is a big price to get kelley. I would have wanted a top15 talent at your second pick (Howard or abel) to sacrifice that much. Don't get me wrong kelley is good but imo not good enough to basically punt the whole draft to get him, for that I would want an absolute elite talent.

In a completely messed up year I think going top heavy makes the most sense.

• Like 4

Horn isn't a throw away. He looks solid. I really like what we did. Going into Day 1 there is no way anyone (well maybe Kiley) expected us to emerge with Crotchet AND Kelley. The only thing that will possibly dampen my enthusiasm is if we find out we paid Crotchet slot or more (I doubt it). That means we could have signed Abel, who I preferred, although the system is lacking in fireballing LHrs so there's that.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

That’s kind of the big difference. If both “work out” it’s not a good draft. It’s a franchise-altering draft with two guys you can pencil into your your No.2 and No. 3 spots in your rotation. 

I wonder how many “good” drafts actually happen.  The cubs are mistakingly lauded for player development, yet they’ve really never had a good draft outside of the Bryant layup.  Pretty much garbage the last 20 years.  

So I pretty much disagree with anybody who tries to put pressure on a franchise to have a good draft.  Having a good draft is a really nice thing when it happens and you enjoy it.  But to expect it or creepily judge it?  Eh. 

Edited by Jerksticks

So Sox got an ace in 4-5 years if things pan out in Kelley, a solid #3 starter in Crochet (or lights out 2 inning Miller type) and another lefty reliever in the 5th that could make the majors. If they hit on all three this draft is a massive success. If they hit on 2, it's their best draft in years. If Kelley hits, then it was all worth it. Color me impressed for 5 rounds. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Horn had "partial" Tommy John surgery.. don't think I've heard of that one before (supposedly only suffered a partial tear of his UCL).

Its relatively new over the past few years. It's a repair not a reconstruction.  They are starting to get good results. It is only effective if only one band of the UCL is involved.

• Like 1