2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Its relatively new over the past few years. It's a repair not a reconstruction.  They are starting to get good results. It is only effective if only one band of the UCL is involved.

This is the one where the actually suture it back to the bone?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is the one where the actually suture it back to the bone?

Yes. If it is near the end of the, ligament. If it's toward the middle they suture it and add an augmentation. 

50 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I wonder how many “good” drafts actually happen.  The cubs are mistakingly lauded for player development, yet they’ve really never had a good draft outside of the Bryant layup.  Pretty much garbage the last 20 years.  

So I pretty much disagree with anybody who tries to put pressure on a franchise to have a good draft.  Having a good draft is a really nice thing when it happens and you enjoy it.  But to expect it or creepily judge it?  Eh. 

Hoerner may be the best shortstop in Chicago in 2 years

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What UDFAs we eyeing? For the most part, I assume who we like is unsignable

For example, I like Abel from Oregon State

RHPs Gianluca Dalatri of UNC, Luke Smith of Louisville, Antonio Menendez of Wake Forest interest me too

UDFA period starts Sunday apparently

My favorite picks of each round:

1- Ed Howard, SS, IL-HS- 16 CHC
2- Jared Kelley, RHP, TX-HS- 47-CWS
3- Blaze Jordan, 1B, MS-HS- 89-BOS
4- Luke Little, LHP, TX-JuCO- 117-CHC
5- Horn is fine

Also really liked Casey Martin and Cole Wilcox in the 3rd, Ginn in the 2nd too

Torkelson, Kjerstad, Meyer, Hancock, Detmers, Jarvis I liked a lot early

Lol at people thinking Horn is a guy. Truly amazing. Guy was no where near a top 150 guy. He would not have been drafted anywhere close to here in a normal year and he was drafted there solely because he costs nothing. 

The draft ended after the 2nd round. Not a huge fan of a strategy putting all your eggs in two arm baskets and one of them is a right handed high school pitcher. Hope it works out but a lot of risk; I guess surviving a 5 round empty draft isnt that difficult though .

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Why do people say a right handed high school pitcher is a bad profile to draft?

The're just so young.  Could blow out.  HS pitchers have high bust rates.. But they're the ones who become studs IF you hit.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The're just so young.  Could blow out.  HS pitchers have high bust rates.. But they're the ones who become studs IF you hit.

Ok... That's what I figured they meant.  I'm assuming the thought process is that the LH pitchers are worth the risk?

15 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Why do people say a right handed high school pitcher is a bad profile to draft?

Lots of attrition. HS pitchers have a long ways to go to make it to the big leagues and a lot of bad things can happen along the way.  That's why the vast majority of top pitchers in baseball come from college.  They made thru their college years and have a much shorter path to the big leagues.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Lots of attrition. HS pitchers have a long ways to go to make it to the big leagues and a lot of bad things can happen along the way.  That's why the vast majority of top pitchers in baseball come from college.  They made thru their college years and have a much shorter path to the big leagues.  

Yes. It's mostly injury attrition.  The college arms have been through an increased load and have shown more durability. Teams don't need to pay them for that. Drafting out if high school usually demands a big bonus and they take the greater chance of injury. 

The good thing about Kelley is he is already matured so that risk is less. However, he wont improve his performance much from a physical standpoint.  This is one of the critiques on him. The improvement will come from learning that breaking ball and how to pitch.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It is by far the riskiest and least successful position drafted in mlb drafts. 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Putting pre-debut injury risks aside.... Does the fact that a guy like Kelley already has MLB caliber stuff and body help mitigate some of the risk?  When people bring up his "now" body, that's usually a knock on him.  Why wouldn't you want the guy who is guaranteed to have the right size over the guy you hope grows into that?   

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Putting pre-debut injury risks aside.... Does the fact that a guy like Kelley already has MLB caliber stuff and body help mitigate some of the risk?  When people bring up his "now" body, that's usually a knock on him.  Why wouldn't you want the guy who is guaranteed to have the right size over the guy you hope grows into that?   

Sure.  I think the opinions on that can vary, but I think what’s important is that those opinions either way don’t really matter.  Outside of the top 2 picks it’s a homerun if your guy makes the big leagues.  And if that guy is a second rounder...holy smokes

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There is a very good chance he is already maxed out which means he has to maintain his stuff for a long period of time while learning a breaking ball and improving his command neither of which are close to MLB caliber. It is much more likey that his stuff will back up during that time which is why teams look for projectable bodies that continue to get bigger and stronger. You want players who continue to get better and build up to the big leagues.  Mick Abel is a perfect example of that.  

• Like 1