Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol, I guess they didn't draft a senior. Instead they drafted a guy who wasn't even ranked in the draft rankings this year. I guess you "got me".

My entire point of the Sox draft was over after the first two rounds was disproved by the selection of **checks notes** Adisyn Coffey.

We're all very proud of you

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I guess they didn't draft a senior. Instead they drafted a guy who wasn't even ranked in the draft rankings this year. I guess you "got me".

My entire point of the Sox draft was over after the first two rounds was disproved by the selection of **checks notes** Adisyn Coffey.

When you speak in absolutes, multiple times, in the same thread, expect to get called out for it when you're wrong. 

You were wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Just now, Tony said:

When you speak in absolutes, multiple times, in the same thread, expect to get called out for it when you're wrong. 

You were wrong. 

I spoke in absolutes? Ok. Good reminder why I stopped checking into this place.

I made a comment that the Sox draft was over because the first two picks would cost all their money, and the thread turned into some diatribe about how that wouldn't happen. My statement of seniors was merely a reference to the Sox not drafting anything of value the rest of the way. Your interpretation of that being an absolute is yours alone to make.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

It looks like Coffey played at Arizona State, transferred to San Jacinto, then to Wabash Valley and was committed to Louisville to finish out his last two years. He might not be a big name, but it seems like the right college programs like him. Hopefully this is one of those times a guy moving around a lot gets lost and we found him because he was local.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pal said:

With these 2 picks + signing Vera IF they sign Colas and Cespedes, are they back to a top 5 farm?

Id say in the 5-7 range before the graduations.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Coffey went to ASU but couldn't hang so he transfered to a JC.  He has some tools but can't play.  

Any chance he pitched when Nicolas faced Wabash?

It was always likely they'd punt the 3rd pick after taking Kelley.  I still have hope they pursue semi interesting guys in the 4th & 5th.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I spoke in absolutes? Ok. Good reminder why I stopped checking into this place.

I made a comment that the Sox draft was over because the first two picks would cost all their money, and the thread turned into some diatribe about how that wouldn't happen. My statement of seniors was merely a reference to the Sox not drafting anything of value the rest of the way. Your interpretation of that being an absolute is yours alone to make.

44 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Ray speaking in absolutes again has me pretty confident that they'll get Crochet signed underslot now.

I literarily was not alone in making that interpretation, someone else said it. 

We don't need to discuss it further. You made a claim, it turned out not being true. We can all move on. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wish they would have taken BPA, and offered him slot. If he didn’t sign, get the extra pick next year.

If they don't sign - you lose the allotment (so that isn't really an option).  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Wabash Valley is a JC. 

Yes saw video of Nicolas striking out 17 vs them

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It was always likely they'd punt the 3rd pick after taking Kelley.  I still have hope they pursue semi interesting guys in the 4th & 5th.

The Sox don't have any limit on what they can spend after Round 5, right? I know every player can only receive 20K at the max, but there is no cap on how many offers can go out, right? 

1st rounder slot: 4,550,000

2nd rounder slot: 1,580,000

3rd rounder slot: 733,100

5% draft pool overage = 388,240

= 7,251,340

We should definitely get a legit 4th and 5th rounder IMO

• Like 2

Just now, Tony said:

The Sox don't have any limit on what they can spend after Round 5, right? I know every player can only receive 20K at the max, but there is no cap on how many offers can go out, right? 

That's my understanding.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the draft is over for the Sox though, right? These two will take up pretty much all of their pool in regards to signing anyone else of real sneaky talent. Doesn't mean they can't find someone seniors and etc.

Great draft, but sometimes I do prefer quantity - especially with the risk of SP's. That said, these two guys have great builds and upsides and could be exciting. Role the dice enough and things will come up how you hope.

How much money could the Sox really have left? They are kind of stuck now the rest of the way, no?

Ding ding ding. Harold and I on the same page. Sox just spent all their money on two pitchers. Risky for sure - high upside, big downside.

Here's my posts of "Absolutes." I was clearly implying the Sox draft was a 2 player draft. I said seniors because that's a frequent way of not spending. Sox went another route of a player not even ranked in the draft. Somehow these were absolutes. zzzzzzzz

1 minute ago, HollywoodTim said:

1st rounder slot: 4,550,000

2nd rounder slot: 1,580,000

3rd rounder slot: 733,100

5% draft pool overage = 388,240

= 7,251,340

We should definitely get a legit 4th and 5th rounder IMO

Exactly, the math shakes out.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That's my understanding.

That's going to be so interesting to see how teams handle this. I feel like we're going to look back at this draft "class", counting all those FA's signed after Round 5, and some teams are going to just clean up, while others sit on the sidelines. 

• Like 1