2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

Does he? I though he looked the part beside the plate.

Only going by what I read. Carlos Collazo thinks he'll stick behind plate and loves the bat. Highlights I saw were positive. I'd rather have Dingler but Parada might be the best of the bunch. My preference for round 2 ...1) Kelley, 2) Dingler, 3) Wilcox

• Quin pinned this topic
1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

I'm out of the loop. What was the McDaniel rumor?

He had us picking Crochett yesterday early in the day and then going overslot at Kelly in the second.. Interesting he had that (no one really had crochett to sox before yesterday) and Kelly is still there.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He had us picking Crochett yesterday early in the day and then going overslot at Kelly in the second.. Interesting he had that (no one really had crochett to sox before yesterday) and Kelly is still there.

Just so you know man, Kelley*

• Love 1

I don't think Tanner Witt is affordable at this point. He was asking for $3 million and has a strong commit to Texas. Jared Kelley was also asking for $3 million but he wants to sign and not attend college. I doubt Cole Wilcox signs at this point either. He could be a top 10 pick next year. 

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think Tanner Witt is affordable at this point. He was asking for $3 million and has a strong commit to Texas. Jared Kelley was also asking for $3 million but he wants to sign and not attend college. I doubt Cole Wilcox signs at this point either. He could be a top 10 pick next year. 

Do you know of some players we like/don't like?  Do we like Kelley?  If not, we can stop the speculation haha

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Do you know of some players we like/don't like?  Do we like Kelley?  If not, we can stop the speculation haha

Yeah they like Kelley. They followed him all summer/spring. Jared Jones is a name i've heard. Kyle Nicolas on the college side. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah they like Kelley. They followed him all summer/spring. Jared Jones is a name i've heard. Kyle Nicolas on the college side. 

I do not understand the Nicolas hype... And I even went to Ball State... Dude walks a batter an inning, what the heck is the love for?

If you didn't like Nicolas' walk numbers you won't like Beeders.

What do we think of the guy from that D3 school?

edit: Nick Garcia from Chapman

Nick Garcia

Chapman (Calif.)RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 215 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.2

Garcia played third base his freshman year at Chapman before converting to pitching as a sophomore. He served as the closer on Chapman’s 2019 Division III national championship team and was named Most Outstanding Player of the College World Series. Garcia moved to the Panthers rotation this spring and became one of the fastest-rising prospects in the country before the season shut down. A strong 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Garcia has an easy operation and smooth delivery, allowing him to maintain his stuff and pound the strike zone with all three of his pitches. He throws his fastball in the 92-95 mph range, touching 97-98, and backs it up with an upper-80s slider and mid-80s cutter that both have a chance to be above-average. Garcia has a limited track record as a starter and has rarely faced good competition, but he held his own pitching in relief in the Cape Cod League last summer. He is also young for a college junior and will be barely 21 on draft day. Garcia’s stuff, delivery, youth and fresh arm have teams interested on the draft’s first day. He is in line to be the highest Division III player selected since the Nationals drafted Jordan Zimmermann in the second round in 2007 out of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Dingler would be a good pick. Mature leader with strong catching skills to work with stable of young arms. Also, Parada looks the part behind the plate as well.

Athlete too, played CF mostly coming up and it’s new to catching 

Not in round two, but I would love either Jack Blomgren or Jordan Nwogu later on today. Both midwest kids with a little more room to grow than your typical college player. Blomgren is probably more of a utility player upside. Nwogu is a great athlete at 6'3" 235 lbs, but probably limited to LF due to his arm strength. He's already physically ready to play in the majors and has a good batting eye, but he probably needs to rework his swing a little bit to handle velocity.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Ginn has a forward drift of his body before he starts his arm motion similar the the old drop and drive motion, although not as much. I'm not sure how much it had to do with his elbow but it's easily corrected. Other than that the motion is good in my view.

I love having you on the board.  One of these days I need to buy you a beer or something at a Sox game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kelley is a scary profile for clubs. Now stuff with a now body. His top secondary pitch is a changeup and most clubs want that to be a breaking ball. I heard he was asking for $3 million or more. He likely doesn't get that now. 

Thanks for the insight