2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Isn’t the fact that he didn’t use a breaking ball much in high school a good thing? I’m no expert but I’ve heard that throwing a lot of breaking balls at a young age can be detrimental for pitchers. We also have the advantage that Kelley wasn’t used and abused by his high school coach because of the pandemic.

It is a good thing, that's my point. Although physically throwing breaking stuff around sophomore seems to be the best. This is why I think he is in a good situation. People point out he is physically developed and has no room to grow. His dominant high school stats are also viewed as a negative because he was physically advanced. however he did it without the breaking ball.I think he can grow as a pitcher by adding that breaking ball.

• Like 1

I like getting whatever avenue gets us the best chance of getting an elite major league level player.  Those guys cost money and aren't readily available.  You can cheaply fill a roster with good players to surround them and those players are available all the time in FA/trades

Edited by Superstar Lamar
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Flash said:

Has anyone read any commentary on WS draft? Any of the pubs opine on picks? Any mention among Winners/Losers?  

CBSsports gave us an A.  Baseball America called our class one of the five they were most excited about and considered both Crotchet & Kelley as top 15 prospects.  Jim Callis considered Kelley one of the top three steals in the entire draft.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

CBSsports gave us an A.  Baseball America called our class one of the five they were most excited about and considered both Crotchet & Kelley as top 15 prospects.  Jim Callis considered Kelley one of the top three steals in the entire draft.

Huh, but I thought we punted on the last 3 picks and our draft was a waste? I could've sworn I heard how we did this draft all wrong, surely you must be mistaken.

• Thanks 4

I absolutely love this draft.  They hauled in 2 of the best arms in the draft.  I love it.  I would trade my 2nd 3rd and 4th picks for another top 15 pick every time.  And the great thing about the MLB draft, is that you don't even need a trade partner, just a willing player.  In a way it is similar to what they did last year, except they traded for basically 2 second round picks.  I love it.  Get as much high end talent as possible. 

• Like 3

I think the owners were penny-wise by not allowing minimum $100K for any available amateur prospect. Baseball's lifeline is keeping that pipeline of young fresh talent open. Big mistake imho. Stop with the cheap antics and get the MLB show on the road. You have to step up during a recovery and make plans for a return to normalcy.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:25 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I believe that's @chitownsportsfan

Gone ask me about CHAZ?  Seriously though, baseball kinda last thing on my mind. I was talking to my friend back in MI online earlier, first thing he said today sox owned the draft.  Seems they did well from what I can tell but time will tell.  I def think it was smart to target a weakness in pitching, usually it's not, but it lined up this year.  I see we got a kid throwing 100 from the left side?  Chris Sale 2.0?

As for Seattle.  I'm right in this shit.  It's kinda amazing to be a part of and not half as bad as some say.   Think for yourself on the coverage for sure.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gone ask me about CHAZ?  Seriously though, baseball kinda last thing on my mind. I was talking to my friend back in MI online earlier, first thing he said today sox owned the draft.  Seems they did well from what I can tell but time will tell.  I def think it was smart to target a weakness in pitching, usually it's not, but it lined up this year.  I see we got a kid throwing 100 from the left side?  Chris Sale 2.0?

As for Seattle.  I'm right in this shit.  It's kinda amazing to be a part of and not half as bad as some say.   Think for yourself on the coverage for sure.

Dang, good luck. 

• Love 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, Flash said:

Has anyone read any commentary on WS draft? Any of the pubs opine on picks? Any mention among Winners/Losers?  

The White Sox were among the only 4 teams to get an " A" grade or better!!!    (Det ./ Cws/Col./Pit.) by B/R . How do you like that ?................

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...