2020 Draft: Day 2 Discussion

southsider2k5

53 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think Tanner Witt is affordable at this point. He was asking for $3 million and has a strong commit to Texas. Jared Kelley was also asking for $3 million but he wants to sign and not attend college. I doubt Cole Wilcox signs at this point either. He could be a top 10 pick next year. 

If we save a million on Crochet, that would translate to about $2.6 million available to use on their 2nd round pick without hitting into the extra 5% overage that has been allowed in the past.  Who knows what his number looks like, but I imagine they are saving something here.

Beck Way

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Louisiana State
Age At Draft: 20.9

The top junior college prospect in a fairly deep class at the level, Way is a 6-foot-4, 200-pound righthander who showed really good stuff last summer in the Cape Cod League. While he threw just 13.2 innings for Cotuit last summer, Way impressed scouts enough by striking out 18 batters and posting a 3.29 ERA that some evaluators put him in the second-to-third-round range on his summer look alone. This spring with Northwest Florida JC, Way continued to impress, showing better control and a solid fastball/changeup combination. Way gets up to 96-97 mph with the fastball, though the pitch more typically sits in the 92-94 range. He creates uncomfortable at-bats due to his ability to spot his fastball in all four quadrants of the zone and he disrupts the timing of batters thanks to a plus changeup with exceptional tumbling action. Way’s slider is more inconsistent than his fastball and changeup, but it has shown flashes of being an average third offering. With two plus pitches, a good frame and above-average control, Way has put himself in position to be taken in the second round or slightly after.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

If you didn't like Nicolas' walk numbers you won't like Beeders.

What do we think of the guy from that D3 school?

edit: Nick Garcia from Chapman

Nick Garcia

Chapman (Calif.)RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 215 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.2

Garcia played third base his freshman year at Chapman before converting to pitching as a sophomore. He served as the closer on Chapman’s 2019 Division III national championship team and was named Most Outstanding Player of the College World Series. Garcia moved to the Panthers rotation this spring and became one of the fastest-rising prospects in the country before the season shut down. A strong 6-foot-4, 215 pounds, Garcia has an easy operation and smooth delivery, allowing him to maintain his stuff and pound the strike zone with all three of his pitches. He throws his fastball in the 92-95 mph range, touching 97-98, and backs it up with an upper-80s slider and mid-80s cutter that both have a chance to be above-average. Garcia has a limited track record as a starter and has rarely faced good competition, but he held his own pitching in relief in the Cape Cod League last summer. He is also young for a college junior and will be barely 21 on draft day. Garcia’s stuff, delivery, youth and fresh arm have teams interested on the draft’s first day. He is in line to be the highest Division III player selected since the Nationals drafted Jordan Zimmermann in the second round in 2007 out of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

This sounds like a White Sox draft pick.  They regularly dabble in coverting/ed players.

42 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah they like Kelley. They followed him all summer/spring. Jared Jones is a name i've heard. Kyle Nicolas on the college side. 

Jimmy - do you have a sense for Crochet deal? Am guessing underslot but wonder how much headroom it enables for today? 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Beck Way

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 200 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Louisiana State
Age At Draft: 20.9

The top junior college prospect in a fairly deep class at the level, Way is a 6-foot-4, 200-pound righthander who showed really good stuff last summer in the Cape Cod League. While he threw just 13.2 innings for Cotuit last summer, Way impressed scouts enough by striking out 18 batters and posting a 3.29 ERA that some evaluators put him in the second-to-third-round range on his summer look alone. This spring with Northwest Florida JC, Way continued to impress, showing better control and a solid fastball/changeup combination. Way gets up to 96-97 mph with the fastball, though the pitch more typically sits in the 92-94 range. He creates uncomfortable at-bats due to his ability to spot his fastball in all four quadrants of the zone and he disrupts the timing of batters thanks to a plus changeup with exceptional tumbling action. Way’s slider is more inconsistent than his fastball and changeup, but it has shown flashes of being an average third offering. With two plus pitches, a good frame and above-average control, Way has put himself in position to be taken in the second round or slightly after.

This sounds like a guy that Don Cooper would like.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This sounds like a guy that Don Cooper would like.

I really like his write-up and age. There are a few guys, kelley included, where it's like "well maybe someone teaches him the dunning curve or cooper cutter".

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why has he dropped so far?  Based on that article, he was an option for the Sox at 11.  

James outlined it. He has "now" stuff and a "now" body and is asking for big money.

If Crochet is an underslot, which isn't unreasonable, it's a good fit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

James outlined it. He has "now" stuff and a "now" body and is asking for big money.

If Crochet is an underslot, which isn't unreasonable, it's a good fit.

Thanks - yeah I read the article.  I guess I just figured if the arm was that great, someone would have taken him yesterday and tried to figure the financials outs.  

Here's to hoping to falls 11 more spots.  Looks like a great kid to have in the system.  Built like a horse.  

38 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I would of wanted Abel over Crochet. 

It isn't as simple as that.  Abel probably takes up the entire draft slot money.  Crochet should allow us to get a greater high school player later on, where with Abel. that probably doesn't happen.  Instead of a high ceiling guy in round 2, we are looking at a slot level college pick.

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

The Orioles have to be the favorites to take him at this point right? 

I could see the Orioles not preferring him.

I like Kelley but it’s not that obvious he’s the best player available right now.

Os gambled and lost it seems. They might be higher on kjerstadt but they can't have him at 2 with his strikeout to walk ratio (looks like a low obp slugger) and westburg is about neutral at his spot.

This means they need to do a ton of damage on day two with their saved money.

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Os gambled and lost it seems. They might be higher on kjerstadt but they can't have him at 2 with his strikeout to walk ratio (looks like a low obp slugger) and westburg is about neutral at his spot.

This means they need to do a ton of damage on day two with their saved money.

They better hit big today because as it stands right now the Royals and Padres kicked their ass on day 1.